Ukraine conflict

February 24th, 2022 at 3:18:13 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
In reality Biden and Putin met about Ukraine! Biden defended Ukraine and said it could defend itself if Putin attempts to attack.

Even Fox missed it, but a blog I follow had a camera at the meeting!

The President is a fink.
February 24th, 2022 at 3:40:01 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
I was wondering if a civilian has any tank killing options in your average household. Guns, no use. It would ride right through gallons of burning gasoline. I don't believe filling your house with natural gas and blowing it up would do much more than give the guys inside the tank a headache and ringing in their ears. Maybe if you had a big car and got up to full speed you could hit it and damage one of the tracks enough to disable it. Assuming you had the proper area, and it didn't blow you apart before you reached it.

So, I thought, maybe if you could trap it in your swimming pool, you could keep it long enough in one place that multiple gallons of burning gasoline could drive out its occupants.

There's very few real options without a decent size homemade IED, but most Americans don't have access to much besides black powder. Not sure what's available in other countries.

The tanks Russians use can go under water.

You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
February 24th, 2022 at 5:53:59 PM permalink
JimRockford
Threads: 2
Quote: RonC
Texas has GDP about the size of Russia. Their economy can be hurt because they are not the behemoth the USSR was. We did not need their oil just a year or so ago. We can only do so much but we can’t do much at all if we are dependent on them for oil. Drill. Frack. Pursue new energy sources. Cut off as much money as we can. Be less reliant on China and Russia. Will not happen if j a day, but we need to do it. Produce, with our true partners, have to have products. Only buy non-essentials from those guys so we can turn off the spigot or at least turn it down a bit.

Make NATO stronger.

1. Biden is no friend of the oil and gas industry, but his actions (and inactions) haven't substantially impacted oil production levels.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/climate-environment/2022/01/27/oil-gas-leasing-biden-climate/
Quote:
But one year after announcing a halt to any new federal oil and gas leasing, Biden has outpaced Donald Trump in issuing drilling permits on public lands. After setting a record for the largest offshore lease sale last year in the Gulf of Mexico, the Interior Department plans to auction off oil and gas drilling rights on more than 200,000 acres across Western states by the end of March, followed by 1 million acres in the Cook Inlet, off the coast of Alaska.

2. The US no longer exports more oil than it imports, largely because oil production declined when covid hit and since then oil producers are content to milk the high prices rather than spend money to expand.
https://www.cnn.com/2021/11/10/energy/oil-gas-prices-joe-biden/index.html
Quote:
"It's not the government that is banning them from drilling more. It's pressure from their shareholders," said Molchanov. (analyst from Raymond James)

3. Even in 2019 when it was claimed that the US was energy independent, we imported almost as much as we exported. All that extra production from the fracking boom produces light viscosity crude that our refineries can't use. They are geared for heavy imported oil. The US needs imported oil for the foreseeable future no matter what. I have no idea if we need Russian oil.
The mind hungers for that on which it feeds.
February 24th, 2022 at 6:02:06 PM permalink
missedhervee
Threads: 96
Quote: rxwine
I was wondering if a civilian has any tank killing options in your average household.

The USA has trained and armed the folks in Ukraine to fight this proxy war; I heard today that Ukraine is ordering all males under age 60 to mobilize and fight the Russian devils invading their land.
February 24th, 2022 at 10:50:53 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Maybe this is a simple observation, but the three inner countries that used to be part of the USSR now have 39% of the population of Russia.
44.13M Ukraine
9.40M Belarus
2.62M Moldova

I have a tendancy to think of the Ukraine as a small country relative to Russia given their vastly different geographic areas.
February 25th, 2022 at 3:18:22 AM permalink
Tanko
Threads: 0
Quote: JimRockford
1. Biden is no friend of the oil and gas industry, but his actions (and inactions) haven't substantially impacted oil production levels.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/climate-environment/2022/01/27/oil-gas-leasing-biden-climate/

2. The US no longer exports more oil than it imports, largely because oil production declined when covid hit and since then oil producers are content to milk the high prices rather than spend money to expand.
https://www.cnn.com/2021/11/10/energy/oil-gas-prices-joe-biden/index.html

Current global demand for oil is only 300K barrels less per day than it was before the pandemic.

US oil production is down 3 million barrels per day, from its peak in 2019.

Uncertainty over government policy, reduced drilling and exploration investment by 60%.

Oil companies are not about to invest and risk tens of billions of dollars, when a President or a Judge can shut them down with the stroke of a pen.

'Judge Blocks ConnocoPhillips at Huge Alaska Project'

'Federal judge blocks big Gulf of Mexico oil lease sale over climate change concerns'

The article does not mention how many of those leases that Biden approved, after his eight month moratorium, were re-applications for leases previously approved by Trump.

The article does not mention how many of those applications were for already drilled, but incomplete wells. There are 5,957 of them nationally.

Biden only issued drilling permits in the Gulf, after 14 Republican states sued him over his moratorium, and a Judge ruled he must hold lease sales in the Gulf that had already been scheduled.

Another Judge overruled the previous decision and revoked those leases in January, citing ‘Climate Change’. So, that ends that. Which is considered a win for Biden.

Oil and gas provide 39% of the Russian federal budget revenue, and 60% of their export revenues. Thanks to 'Climate Change', those revenues have more than doubled in the past twelve months.
February 25th, 2022 at 6:07:38 AM permalink
DRich
Threads: 51
Quote: Pacomartin
Maybe this is a simple observation, but the three inner countries that used to be part of the USSR now have 39% of the population of Russia.
44.13M Ukraine
9.40M Belarus
2.62M Moldova

I have a tendancy to think of the Ukraine as a small country relative to Russia given their vastly different geographic areas.

I would not be surprised if Moldova is the next target.
At my age a Life In Prison sentence is not much of a detrrent.
February 25th, 2022 at 6:31:22 AM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
A short war story.

Quote:
According to a purported audio exchange, as the Russians approached Snake Island, also known as Zmiinyi Island, the Russian officer says: "This is a military warship. This is a Russian military warship. I suggest you lay down your weapons and surrender to avoid bloodshed and needless casualties. Otherwise, you will be bombed."

A Ukrainian soldier responds: "Russian warship, go f*** yourself."

Those were the final known words heard from the island.

"All border guards died heroically but did not give up. They will be awarded the title of Hero of Ukraine posthumously," Zelensky said.

Snake Island sits about 30 miles (48 kilometers) off the southern tip of the Ukrainian mainland in the northwestern Black Sea. It's about 185 miles (300 kilometers) west of Crimea, the Ukrainian territory that Russia annexed in 2014.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/snake-island-soldiers-defiant-last-words-as-russian-warship-targets-them/ar-AAUhq0Y?ocid=msedgntp
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
February 25th, 2022 at 6:50:09 AM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Russia is now so giddy about foxnews its being broadcast there. Wow. Talk about a pro Russia network

"Russian TV Uses Tucker Carlson and Tulsi Gabbard to Sell Putin’s War" https://theintercept.com/2022/02/24/russian-tv-uses-tucker-carlson-tulsi-gabbard-sell-putins-war/
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
February 25th, 2022 at 11:39:59 AM permalink
missedhervee
Threads: 96
Gee, how surprising (not) that the views of Fox News and Rupert Murdock are congruent.

In their attempts to avoid any credit going to Biden these clowns are showing their true colors, i.e. "yellow."

Yellow should be the new republican color.