Supreme Court strikes down Roe v. Wade?

Page 4 of 72<1234567>Last »
May 3rd, 2022 at 11:10:07 AM permalink
JimRockford
Threads: 2
Quote: Wizard
Let me acknowledge that I lean towards the pro-choice side, within limits, and am not a constitutional expert.

That said, I never did see where the Constitution provides the right to abortion. In other words, what is the legal argument the Constitution guarantees a right to abortion above state law?

The constitutional basis was:
Quote:
This right of privacy, whether it be founded in the Fourteenth Amendment's concept of personal liberty and restrictions upon state action, as we feel it is, or ... in the Ninth Amendment's reservation of rights to the people, is broad enough to encompass a woman's decision whether to terminate her pregnancy.

Of course the opinion included nuance and provided for some limitations.
The mind hungers for that on which it feeds.
May 3rd, 2022 at 11:17:24 AM permalink
missedhervee
Threads: 96
Quote: AZDuffman
Highly, highly unlikely. Cost and logistics, simply is not going to happen.

Ah, but hope springs eternal...

I submit the time will soon be ripe for a billionaire to fund such enterprises.

Somebody with very deep pockets could and arguably should step up to the plate and fund "Love Boats" in all anti-abortion states which abut international waters.

I can think of no other way for a wealthy liberal to get more bang for their buck (and to "stick it" to the republicans): "We can change the world, rearrange the world..."
May 3rd, 2022 at 11:41:22 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: missedhervee
Ah, but hope springs eternal...

I submit the time will soon be ripe for a billionaire to fund such enterprises.

Somebody with very deep pockets could and arguably should step up to the plate and fund "Love Boats" in all anti-abortion states which abut international waters.

I can think of no other way for a wealthy liberal to get more bang for their buck (and to "stick it" to the republicans): "We can change the world, rearrange the world..."

They wanna waste their money let them. They lost how much on Air America so some do not mind funding silly stuff.
The President is a fink.
May 3rd, 2022 at 11:43:02 AM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Threads: 239
Quote: rxwine
I don't believe a state can make someone support another person with their body organs even if it's the only possible way for them to survive.

Can you provide some legal source on this?
Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber
May 3rd, 2022 at 11:46:12 AM permalink
missedhervee
Threads: 96
Quote: AZDuffman
They wanna waste their money let them. They lost how much on Air America so some do not mind funding silly stuff.

Assuming the USSC leaked opinion is legit, I can think of no better way for wealthy, liberal "bad boys" to "Stick it to the man."

LOL, I can envision Desantis choking on his funnel cake as Floridians defy him with their actions, basically telling him to go F himself.
May 3rd, 2022 at 11:57:34 AM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Let me acknowledge that I lean towards the pro-choice side, within limits, and am not a constitutional expert.

That said, I never did see where the Constitution provides the right to abortion. In other words, what is the legal argument the Constitution guarantees a right to abortion above state law?

Fourth Amendment: Protects the right of privacy against unreasonable searches and seizures by the government.
A Dr patient discussion and what they decide is private. It's nobody's business to invade that privacy , especially the govt.
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
May 3rd, 2022 at 12:02:18 PM permalink
ams288
Threads: 29
Quote: Tanko
The majority sees it as a states rights issue that should be returned to the people's elected representatives.

So this is the GOP’s position on abortion:

“Abortion is the murder of children. But it’s totally fine if some states decide that murdering children is okay.”

Anyone buy this?

Everyone knows a complete and total ban on abortion is the goal here.
“A straight man will not go for kids.” - AZDuffman
May 3rd, 2022 at 12:06:28 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Threads: 239
Jim's quote seems to be taken from
Roe v. Wade / Excerpts from Majority Opinion.

I can see the writer's point, but I don't read between the lines of the Constitution in the same way. Correct me if I'm wrong, but the word privacy does not appear anywhere in the Constitution.

I don't have time to get into every point, but the majority opinion emphasizes the 14th Amendment.

Quote: 14th Ammendment

No State shall make or enforce any law which shall abridge the privileges or immunities of citizens of the United States; nor shall any State deprive any person of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal protection of the laws.

Source: US Constitution

I don't have any brilliant interpretation of that, but think it's worthwhile to look at the Constitution if there is going to be debate about it.
Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber
May 3rd, 2022 at 12:08:00 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Can you provide some legal source on this?

I would think a right to liberty and privacy would overrule any requirement to use your body organs to keep someone alive in any other case. Even if you invite them into your house or are directly related you wouldn't be required to give bodily organ functions to keep them alive.

And I know the Constitution doesn't say anything requiring citizens to support the life of others with their body organs.

Under certain circumstance, like being accused of a crime, you can be forced to submit to medical tests. But I've never heard of anyone being forced to use their body organs to keep someone alive.

And your organs sure sound like a privacy and freedom issue. If not, I don't know what is?

THAT'S ALL I GOT.

(unless I think of something else)
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
May 3rd, 2022 at 12:09:33 PM permalink
Tanko
Threads: 0
Citigropup announced six weeks ago, they will provide travel expenses for abortions because of the newly enacted restrictions in Texas and other places.
Page 4 of 72<1234567>Last »