Supreme Court strikes down Roe v. Wade?

June 27th, 2022 at 6:38:17 PM permalink
missedhervee
Threads: 96
Too bad there are no acceptable candidates waiting in the wings.

Will we have "the lesser of two evils?" again?
June 27th, 2022 at 7:05:19 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Quote: missedhervee
Too bad there are no acceptable candidates waiting in the wings.

Will we have "the lesser of two evils?" again?

Biden isn't running this November.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
June 27th, 2022 at 7:13:12 PM permalink
RonC
Threads: 8
Quote: rxwine
Biden isn't running this November.

It is at least partially a referendum on how he is doing now.

But…

His numbers stink but a lot good or bad can happen before the Presidential season gets serious.
June 28th, 2022 at 3:19:11 AM permalink
Tanko
Threads: 0
So now residents in Red anti-abortion states ......

Those states won't be 'Red' much longer.
June 29th, 2022 at 10:49:13 AM permalink
missedhervee
Satan weighs in on the decision to overturn Roe v. Wade:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?app=desktop&v=0LI4UEHUvtM
June 29th, 2022 at 11:30:39 AM permalink
missedhervee
Mike directed this be posted here and not at WoV:

I see the USSC backed the Washington coach who prayed on the fifty yard line.

This got me to think..."Just how far can people take this, so their conduct is protected as religious?

Religion is the belief in and worship of a superhuman controlling power, especially a personal God or gods.

Let's say I am a devout Satanist: can I start a fire at the fifty?

If not, why not?

What about if "my god is substance:" shouldn't I be allowed to snort some lines of coke at the fifty and have it be a religious exemption?

Finally, what about if I am a devout Thuggee who worships the Hindu goddess Kali Ma?

Thuggees practiced human sacrifice as a religious ritual, so how about drawing and quartering a ref on the fifty?

I know, prayer is less onerous than murder but that isn't the point: now the court seems to say that religious expression should not be muzzled.
June 29th, 2022 at 11:44:42 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Mike directed this be posted here and not at WoV:

I see the USSC backed the Washington coach who prayed on the fifty yard line.

This got me to think..."Just how far can people take this, so their conduct is protected as religious?

Religion is the belief in and worship of a superhuman controlling power, especially a personal God or gods.

Let's say I am a devout Satanist: can I start a fire at the fifty?

If not, why not?

What about if "my god is substance:" shouldn't I be allowed to snort some lines of coke at the fifty and have it be a religious exemption?

Finally, what about if I am a devout Thuggee who worships the Hindu goddess Kali Ma?

Thuggees practiced human sacrifice as a religious ritual, so how about drawing and quartering a ref on the fifty?

I know, prayer is less onerous than murder but that isn't the point: now the court seems to say that religious expression should not be muzzled.

You cannot start a fire at the 50 because that is being destructive. But you could have a harmless prayer to Satan and invite players if you liked. Years back SCOTUS allowed opening prayer when a witch brought a suit for not being allowed to have it before her council meeting. That ruling said some kind of small prayer was allowed as long as no group was being unduly excluded.

That is a sort of wide ruling but that is the point. The "establishment clause" has been interpreted very wrong since the 1960s. It was never put in there to completely banish religion from public life. It was to prohibit a government established religion like the then Church of England. It was not about prohibiting any mention of God on public property.

So to sum up to answer your question the answer is the line is drawn at doing harm to property or others. "Being offended" is not harm. Prayer at the 50 is OK, sacrificing a virgin will get you in trouble.
The President is a fink.
June 29th, 2022 at 11:49:29 AM permalink
missedhervee
So then, if the coach were a Muslim he could put down his prayer rug, face Mecca, and pray to Allah?

You think he'd catch any flak for that?

What if he's an atheist and in celebration of victory he smashes a large paper mache cross with a hand sledge?

Protected?
June 29th, 2022 at 12:10:36 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
So then, if the coach were a Muslim he could put down his prayer rug, face Mecca, and pray to Allah?

You think he'd catch any flak for that?

What if he's an atheist and in celebration of victory he smashes a large paper mache cross with a hand sledge?

Protected?

Christians think they can open this pandora's box of killing the separation of church & state and keep Islam out. They are way better off the way it is keeping government secular.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
June 29th, 2022 at 12:31:08 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: rxwine
Christians think they can open this pandora's box of killing the separation of church & state and keep Islam out. They are way better off the way it is keeping government secular.

The government is still secular. Just like you can still get an abortion. Turn off PMSNBC and learn what is going on.
The President is a fink.