Supreme Court strikes down Roe v. Wade?

July 1st, 2022 at 1:08:49 PM permalink
Gandler
Threads: 27
Quote: kenarman
The problem is that emissions per capita doesn't make a hoot of difference if we are trying to reduce the total amount of carbon going into the atmosphere. The US produces about 10% of the CO2. Cut that in half and the US will only produce 5%. In the meantime China, India and Russia will have increased more than that amount. We haven't even talked about what will happen when the fastest growing populations in the world in Africa start getting more advanced.

Whether or not global warming is real the idea that the US can significantly reduce the amount of carbon going into the atmosphere is a pipe dream. Having the manufacturing not in your country doesn't reduce the carbon only the number you publish for your country. It is the same as California not counting the coal fired electricity it brings in from Utah in its carbon emissions.

It does make a difference, because it shows that our country will scale poorly if we stay at the same levels... Also, 10-11% is a lot, it's nothing to scoff at.... But, we need to look at how we will be in several decades with an increased population. If we have a 2X population and expand urban areas to be closer to land use as China, we are on course for disaster at the current rate....

Global emissions matter, but for local survival, air quality is what counts.

Even if you do you not accept climate change, you should care about local air quality. Look at the lung cancer rates. You probably think they are declining exactly with smoking rates right? It's not just the climate, it's everyday inhalation of pollutants.
July 1st, 2022 at 1:22:37 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: Gandler

Even if you do you not accept climate change, you should care about local air quality. Look at the lung cancer rates. You probably think they are declining exactly with smoking rates right? It's not just the climate, it's everyday inhalation of pollutants.

Local air quality is currently fantastic. I remember the 1970s. They would put the high and low pollution reading on the news nightly, usually with or before the weather. I believe the numbering has changed but "30" was rare and very good. 100+ was unhealthy to very unhealthy. Highest I remember was 200 in an area with a coke plant that always smelled like sticking your nose in a box of matches if you were near it.

A car today puts out less emissions driving than one back then did not even running!

They stopped putting the readings on in the 1980s because they were always very good.

Anyone who remembers back then knows how good it is now. If EB is still reading these threads he will back me up there.
The President is a fink.
July 1st, 2022 at 1:29:55 PM permalink
Gandler
Quote: AZDuffman
Local air quality is currently fantastic. I remember the 1970s. They would put the high and low pollution reading on the news nightly, usually with or before the weather. I believe the numbering has changed but "30" was rare and very good. 100+ was unhealthy to very unhealthy. Highest I remember was 200 in an area with a coke plant that always smelled like sticking your nose in a box of matches if you were near it.

A car today puts out less emissions driving than one back then did not even running!

They stopped putting the readings on in the 1980s because they were always very good.

Anyone who remembers back then knows how good it is now. If EB is still reading these threads he will back me up there.

Yes, its certainly improved (largely thanks to the EPA and local laws), but there are still ways to go even just for vehicles.
Some States still do not require annual emission tests for non-electric vehicles. So, there is no consistency state to state in order to register a vehicle.
Some states have strict idling laws (often for diesel vehicles), some do not. There is variance.
July 1st, 2022 at 1:45:13 PM permalink
kenarman
Threads: 14
Yes, its certainly improved (largely thanks to the EPA and local laws), but there are still ways to go even just for vehicles.
Some States still do not require annual emission tests for non-electric vehicles. So, there is no consistency state to state in order to register a vehicle.
Some states have strict idling laws (often for diesel vehicles), some do not. There is variance.

So your solution would be for all jurisdictions to have the same regs I assume. Great idea lets set them all on the least restrictive laws. Oh you want the most restrictive regs. Now there is the rub who gets to decide you or me. I might be convinced to meet in the middle but you want your way, because after all you are right and I am wrong. There in a nutshell is what is wrong in todays world.
"but if you make yourselves sheep, the wolves will eat you." Benjamin Franklin
July 1st, 2022 at 1:53:35 PM permalink
AZDuffman

No need for consistency state to state. What is a problem in CA is probably not at all an issue in OH. Even within a state. Here in PA the rural counties have no emission inspection requirement, no need as their air quality is already good.

The USA is too large and diverse to have one set of law coast to coast.
The President is a fink.
July 1st, 2022 at 2:11:51 PM permalink
RonC
Threads: 8
I totally get Paco’s analysis on court packing or expanding the court, since there is not a set number.

The problem is that if Team A does something to change the composition you are nearly guaranteed to have Team B change it to their liking. This happened to some extent with the filibuster…once you use it, others will use. It is also not a law but a rule of the Senate. Those can be changed, too. The problem is that the filibuster was used a lot (314 times) during the Trump administration.

I guess you can get around it by making it hard or impossible for your team to lose.
July 1st, 2022 at 2:27:32 PM permalink
kenarman
Threads: 14
It does make a difference, because it shows that our country will scale poorly if we stay at the same levels... Also, 10-11% is a lot, it's nothing to scoff at.... But, we need to look at how we will be in several decades with an increased population. If we have a 2X population and expand urban areas to be closer to land use as China, we are on course for disaster at the current rate....

Global emissions matter, but for local survival, air quality is what counts.

What gives you the idea that the US population would double. The US birthrate is declining. World population is declining or under control pretty much everywhere but Africa. You gotta try and keep up Gandler.
"but if you make yourselves sheep, the wolves will eat you." Benjamin Franklin
July 1st, 2022 at 2:32:40 PM permalink
AZDuffman
What gives you the idea that the US population would double. The US birthrate is declining. World population is declining or under control pretty much everywhere but Africa. You gotta try and keep up Gandler.

He missed the "Issues for the 2020s" thread. Much discussion there.

If not for illegal immigration we would likely be in decline now.
The President is a fink.
July 1st, 2022 at 2:45:20 PM permalink
RonC
Threads: 8

We are adding a couple million other folks each year right now. Some of them are even coming with a new citizen in the womb. It may not get us to double, but is a significant addition to our 3.6 million or so births per year…and they augment the population in many age groups! I don’t see any signs of that slowing down.
July 1st, 2022 at 2:50:30 PM permalink
Gandler

In recent years yes that is true, that does not matter in the grand scheme, there have been periods of several decades where the population has doubled in the past. (And, this was back when immigration was far stricter, so not even taking that into account).

It only take a few years of rapid growth to quickly expand, and if that continues for a few decades 2X is very feasible.

But, even if it does not in our lifetime (it will eventually), we still use too much power per person and per region, its not sustainable.

We simply use more power than anyone else, this should not be a debatable issue. The goal is to switch to clean energy.