Should Trans People be allowed to use opposite sex bathrooms?

Thread Rating:

May 4th, 2023 at 5:42:04 AM permalink
odiousgambit
Threads: 154
Quote: DRich
I would be very interested in how you believe a game has corrupted college integrity. I love most college sports but also agree that it is not relevant to a college education for anyone besides the athletes.
that kind of money corrupts anything

in the case of colleges, high standards to admit students are discarded when recruitment dictates you need to bring in the athletes that can help you win. It's actually OK if they aren't there for an education ... some in fact will be illiterate going in and going out. Bringing in those millions of dollars becomes imperative ... the President knows 'they better win' or he will be gone. The sports teams are essentially soon just pro teams while 'amateur' in name only. I haven't kept track of recent changes in how they are paid, but the fact they are starting to get paid says it all. The corruption spills over into all kinds of things I'm sure ... at least the lack of focus on actual education gives cover to ignore inadequacies.

looks very searchable ... google's 'people also ask' ...

Quote:
What are examples of corruption in college sports?
“Those cases usually revolve around the highly skilled athletes in football and men's basketball and may include improper recruiting, ineligible student-athletes, athletes receiving extra benefits, academic fraud, and students being paid for work they didn't do.” NCAA violations also cover agents who make illegal cash ...

I'm Still Standing, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah [it's an old guy chant for me]
May 4th, 2023 at 7:04:02 AM permalink
DRich
Threads: 51
Quote: odiousgambit

in the case of colleges, high standards to admit students are discarded when recruitment dictates you need to bring in the athletes that can help you win. It's actually OK if they aren't there for an education ... some in fact will be illiterate going in and going out. Bringing in those millions of dollars becomes imperative ... the President knows 'they better win' or he will be gone. The sports teams are essentially soon just pro teams while 'amateur' in name only. I haven't kept track of recent changes in how they are paid, but the fact they are starting to get paid says it all. The corruption spills over into all kinds of things I'm sure ... at least the lack of focus on actual education gives cover to ignore inadequacies.

I guess my point is that it is not the game corrupting the system. It is the idiots administrating the game that are screwing everything up.
At my age a Life In Prison sentence is not much of a detrrent.
May 4th, 2023 at 8:28:54 AM permalink
Mission146
Administrator
Threads: 23
Some call themselves 'asexual' which seems to mean something different

"Asexual," as I understand the word, has nothing to do with gender; my belief is that word simply means not being sexually attracted to anyone.
"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen..let us give them all they want." William T. Sherman
May 4th, 2023 at 9:02:40 AM permalink
kenarman
Threads: 14

A reasonable number of the college athletes get trained for a career that can be very profitable. That is more training than the average bachelor arts grad has when they graduate. Do athletes get a free pass on other courses? They do but so do many other students who are very near genius in a small area of expertise get a pass on other subjects that would normally be mandatory, just like a very good athlete.

Universities spend big money on getting celebrity professors who don't really have to do anything but publish a few papers. Many of these professors don't actually produce any meaningful advances in their specialties'. Not much different than having a celebrity sports team, and they at least produce profit for the school.
"but if you make yourselves sheep, the wolves will eat you." Benjamin Franklin
May 4th, 2023 at 9:13:24 AM permalink
Mission146
Administrator
Threads: 23
Quote: kenarman
A reasonable number of the college athletes get trained for a career that can be very profitable. That is more training than the average bachelor arts grad has when they graduate. Do athletes get a free pass on other courses? They do but so do many other students who are very near genius in a small area of expertise get a pass on other subjects that would normally be mandatory, just like a very good athlete.

Universities spend big money on getting celebrity professors who don't really have to do anything but publish a few papers. Many of these professors don't actually produce any meaningful advances in their specialties'. Not much different than having a celebrity sports team, and they at least produce profit for the school.

Maybe, but a college with sports teams, but without professors, would just be a professional sports organization with a model of indentured servitude.

Also, I don't know that you can point to any one professor, other than those who obtain grants and such, and say, "That professor, specifically, made us x revenue," but certainly, academics wouldn't make any revenue if you didn't have any professors.
"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen..let us give them all they want." William T. Sherman
May 4th, 2023 at 9:21:05 AM permalink
rquiredusername
Threads: 0
“Some” also aren’t in fact illiterate going in and out. There are numerous examples of professional players who were elite prospects who either had to go junior college route or immediately go to a professional league that allows players out of high school because they didn’t meet minimum academic requirements for entry, this pretty much means moving overseas at 18-19 to make above a median US income.

The debate about whether academic standards should be stricter for their scholarships is also going to unavoidably frequently end up into the territory of systematically discriminating against and eliminating opportunities for an education of those from disadvantaged backgrounds.

Bottom line these kids are qualified to attend universities academically, they just don’t deserve a scholarship from an academic standpoint and the “primary profit centers” frequently aren’t there to be students, but they do qualify.
May 4th, 2023 at 10:17:17 AM permalink
DRich
Quote: rquiredusername
“Some” also aren’t in fact illiterate going in and out. There are numerous examples of professional players who were elite prospects who either had to go junior college route or immediately go to a professional league that allows players out of high school because they didn’t meet minimum academic requirements for entry, this pretty much means moving overseas at 18-19 to make above a median US income.

The debate about whether academic standards should be stricter for their scholarships is also going to unavoidably frequently end up into the territory of systematically discriminating against and eliminating opportunities for an education of those from disadvantaged backgrounds.

Bottom line these kids are qualified to attend universities academically, they just don’t deserve a scholarship from an academic standpoint and the “primary profit centers” frequently aren’t there to be students, but they do qualify.

I like the fact that the Ivy League schools do not give athletic scholarships.
May 4th, 2023 at 10:21:12 AM permalink
DRich
Why do people say that college athletes are undeserving.

"AMES, Iowa -- An Iowa State football player has been arrested on charges that he raped a woman while she lay immobile after he shoved her so hard into stairs in his home that it fractured her spine."
May 4th, 2023 at 10:40:57 AM permalink
ams288
Threads: 29
Quote: DRich
Why do people say that college athletes are undeserving.

"AMES, Iowa -- An Iowa State football player has been arrested on charges that he raped a woman while she lay immobile after he shoved her so hard into stairs in his home that it fractured her spine."

Republicans are fast tracking him for the next SCOTUS opening.
“A straight man will not go for kids.” - AZDuffman
May 5th, 2023 at 8:04:44 AM permalink
odiousgambit
Threads: 154
OK, the people who need to see this won't watch it more than 2 seconds, I know that. However, the last half minute or so ... tell me this isn't indisputable!

That would be at 6:02

I'm Still Standing, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah [it's an old guy chant for me]