The Threat of Theology: Religion Influencing Politics in America

Page 1 of 51234>Last »
July 19th, 2022 at 3:45:40 PM permalink
Gandler
Threads: 27
It is no secret that religion has a (negative) influence on political behavior in America. However, that is not what I wanted to make this thread about.

Churches have a lot of influence in the United States, especially over their direct members. However, such organizations are tax-exempt and must follow specific guidelines[1]. These include not endorsing (or opposing) a political candidate. This rule is frequently overlooked. And, now its growing to an alarming extent.

I don't go to such places unless I am pretty much socially forced (funerals, weddings, etc...), but even I know that such places routinely make comments about political candidates. Even my parents (who are registered Republicans, though thankfully have been becoming more center, and getting slightly more educated on the proper political views), stopped going to their church of countless years since it became a constant Joe Biden bashing speech and very little to do with the bible. And, I know the few times I am forced into a church, I almost always here something that would violate 501(c)(3) provisions.

However, not a single church has lost their tax exempt status due to this since 2008 [2]. And, even Trump wanted to make it more lenient by removing political speech restrictions on Churches, which is next level absurd.

Religious organizations should be taxed. But, that is not going to get solved overnight (beyond absurd that religion is tax-exempt in a secular country).

The short term goal is forcing the IRS to actually enforce the current rules. This means the most important thing for everyone to do is file a complaint form with the IRS every time that they witness a church violate this:
https://www.irs.gov/charities-non-profits/irs-complaint-process-tax-exempt-organizations

Right now there are endless religious figures living lavish lifestyles tax free while bashing political figures.

A perfect public example is Greg Locke (warning, very disturbing), who said that people who vote Democrat are not welcome at his church [3]. (He is also a total nutbag who thinks Trump won the election and witches are real) [4]. Apparently, he got so many complaints from the publicity, that he claimed that he was changing from non-profit (without really doing it) [5]. This is about as blatant as possible, and at least the IRS is investigating it, but it looks thousands of complaint forms, and nonstop media coverage. Small, local churches being in violation do not have this level of scrutiny.

But, that is why it is important to always file a complaint, because you may think one does not make a difference, but if three other people at the wedding do the same, thing, and next week three more do, eventually it can:
https://www.irs.gov/charities-non-profits/irs-complaint-process-tax-exempt-organizations
(Same report link as it is critical to have on hand).

If in doubt report to the IRS. Just don't lie, state clearly what they said, and they can determine a violation or not. Also, if there is a livestream of the event, that can easily be linked as backing evidence (or if you film it yourself). This is something everyone can do at every event to weed out religions abusing their authority and stating political support for a candidate (and let's be real, Churches almost always back the wrong candidate because they have backwards ideologies inherently which compounds the danger of their illegal supporting or opposing of candidates).

I don't think many realize how much influence churches have (especially those privileged enough to be brought up properly and not forced to go to church), Its important that they do not abuse their influence (as is routine, despite them already having too much latitude as to what they can say strictly on issues).

[1] https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/charities-churches-and-politics#:~:text=Currently%2C%20the%20law%20prohibits%20political,to)%20any%20candidate%20for%20public

[2] https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/trump-is-wrong-pulpit-freedom-already-exists/2016/08/05/77706c10-5815-11e6-9aee-8075993d73a2_story.html

[3] https://onlysky.media/hemant-mehta/preacher-claims-he-dissolved-his-churchs-tax-exemption-for-political-gain/

[4] https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YPND8sNyH8Q

[5] https://www.au.org/the-latest/press/irs-greg-locke-johnson-amendment/#
July 19th, 2022 at 4:44:11 PM permalink
kenarman
Threads: 14
I am fine with all that as long as we apply the same rules and logic to Universities and Colleges who indoctrinate their parishioners just as much. Quit making tuition fees and campus real estate tax deductible.
"but if you make yourselves sheep, the wolves will eat you." Benjamin Franklin
July 19th, 2022 at 4:55:09 PM permalink
Gandler
Threads: 27
Quote: kenarman
I am fine with all that as long as we apply the same rules and logic to Universities and Colleges who indoctrinate their parishioners just as much. Quit making tuition fees and campus real estate tax deductible.

Well I actually did not get into tax deductions, but since you bring it up, there is no limit to Church donations (100% deductible, up to 60% of your AGI). Whereas there are massive limits on how you can deduct college expenses (and its more like 20% of what you pay, and a very low cap, I think 4k).

So even on this front you get more out of giving to churches (which impede your education) than you do paying for college (which enhances your education).

But, to your comment that colleges and universities indoctrinate "just as much", totally false, unless you are speaking strictly of non-accredited Christian Colleges, then it may be true (but still probably slightly better than straight church).
July 19th, 2022 at 6:09:31 PM permalink
kenarman
Quote: Gandler
Well I actually did not get into tax deductions, but since you bring it up, there is no limit to Church donations (100% deductible, up to 60% of your AGI). Whereas there are massive limits on how you can deduct college expenses (and its more like 20% of what you pay, and a very low cap, I think 4k).

So even on this front you get more out of giving to churches (which impede your education) than you do paying for college (which enhances your education).

But, to your comment that colleges and universities indoctrinate "just as much", totally false, unless you are speaking strictly of non-accredited Christian Colleges, then it may be true (but still probably slightly better than straight church).

You should really look into what is going on in colleges now Gander. They used to be a place that encouraged free thinking. Now it is conform or get out.
July 19th, 2022 at 6:57:25 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
You should really look into what is going on in colleges now Gander. They used to be a place that encouraged free thinking. Now it is conform or get out.

C'mon, you can't pretend to be informed when you didn't even bother to look into it. And I didn't include a list of private conservative colleges.

50 public conservative colleges.

https://stacker.com/stories/3599/most-conservative-public-colleges-america
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
July 19th, 2022 at 7:00:33 PM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
My professor at the University of MD back in the day
He later worked in the Reagan administration
He was a really good professor
I really enjoyed his class
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Donald_J._Devine
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
July 19th, 2022 at 7:41:17 PM permalink
kenarman
Quote: rxwine
C'mon, you can't pretend to be informed when you didn't even bother to look into it. And I didn't include a list of private conservative colleges.

50 public conservative colleges.

https://stacker.com/stories/3599/most-conservative-public-colleges-america

You should read your own source. This is from the MSU description. Incidents like this are rampant at Universities across the country. Tenured professors are being fired for not following the woke agenda.

'Clifford is also accused of ideological favoritism with the distribution of lower marks to those who disagreed with the premise of affirmative action or the data supporting the wage gap theory. One of Clifford’s former students told Campus Reform that he felt afraid to offer an opposing viewpoint in his classroom. “Shortly after I started the course in January, I heard from other students that he was very liberal and graded people based on whether they agreed with him or not,” Mississippi State student Adam Sabes, who is also a Campus Reform correspondent, said. '
July 19th, 2022 at 7:52:23 PM permalink
rxwine
You should read your own source. This is from the MSU description. Incidents like this are rampant at Universities across the country. Tenured professors are being fired for not following the woke agenda.

'Clifford is also accused of ideological favoritism with the distribution of lower marks to those who disagreed with the premise of affirmative action or the data supporting the wage gap theory. One of Clifford’s former students told Campus Reform that he felt afraid to offer an opposing viewpoint in his classroom. “Shortly after I started the course in January, I heard from other students that he was very liberal and graded people based on whether they agreed with him or not,” Mississippi State student Adam Sabes, who is also a Campus Reform correspondent, said. '

This is rich. How many did you even read? If you're saying there's plenty of conservative colleges not making people comfortable with different views, you're absolutely right.

Do you even know who calls who woke in this country? Conservatives aren't supposed to be woke according to their own point of view.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
July 19th, 2022 at 7:59:25 PM permalink
rxwine
Also, that addresses the BS rightwing lie that there is nothing here for conservative higher education but leftwing dominated schools. There's plenty of schools for conservative Kool-Aid drinkers to partake conservative indoctrination.
July 19th, 2022 at 8:25:56 PM permalink
rxwine
As to theological influence, I've not really examined the issue that closely. Though it's almost a given that it's a large influence which comes just from their numbers in the population.
Page 1 of 51234>Last »