The Threat of Theology: Religion Influencing Politics in America

Page 5 of 5« First<2345
April 20th, 2023 at 12:54:29 PM permalink
DRich
Threads: 51
Quote: terapined

Should a religious person have the right not to work Sunday.

This one is too easy. Of course they have that right. If your boss tells you to work a Sunday, quit your job. That is your right and you don't have to work on Sunday.
At my age a Life In Prison sentence is not much of a detrrent.
April 20th, 2023 at 3:13:13 PM permalink
Gandler
Threads: 27
Interesting case the Supreme Court is hearing
If the business is open on Sunday, hell no
Justice Barrett made a good argument
Wouldn't it effect the morale of other workers if they had to work every Sunday to accommodate a religious worker having off every Sunday.
https://www.newsweek.com/amy-coney-barrett-surprising-remarks-supreme-court-religion-case-1795507

In my view, religious people have no right to special accommodations in the workplace. If a job conflicts with their religious beliefs they can work somewhere else.

If working Sunday violates some principle, don't work at a company that is open on Sundays, because as a new person you are probably going to be working Sundays....

If ringing up alcohol is a violation of your religious beliefs don't work somewhere that sells alcohol and demand that they call a secondary cashier to scan the booze....

If you work somewhere where headgear is a safety or security issue, don't work there and demand to have the place reconfigured so that you can wear headgear.

"Reasonable Accommodations in the workplace" should exist only for disabilities and medical conditions, not for religion. Religion is a choice.

People abuse the religion card so hard to get exempt from certain things, I would suspect that the majority of people who can't do a certain task or don't want to adhere to a certain standard because of religion, religion is just a tool to get out of it. For example, the Army now allows beards (and other violations of uniformity standards) for religious reasons, and there are literally people claiming to be pagans (like viking pagans, total nonsense) and Islamic (who are clearly not Islamic) to have a beard. It's clearly just dudes who want a beard and are claiming whatever religion they can write down on the form....
April 21st, 2023 at 8:05:31 AM permalink
Mission146
Administrator
Threads: 23
Interesting case the Supreme Court is hearing
If the business is open on Sunday, hell no
Justice Barrett made a good argument
Wouldn't it effect the morale of other workers if they had to work every Sunday to accommodate a religious worker having off every Sunday.
https://www.newsweek.com/amy-coney-barrett-surprising-remarks-supreme-court-religion-case-1795507

Depending on the religion, it could even be a day other than Sunday.

I would argue that they should have that right as long as they don't expect to somehow be compensated for it.

If you're open Sunday, then you're probably open seven days per week. I think it's good employee management to always offer an employee to pick a day of the week that they'll never be scheduled to work anyway for a seven day a week business. Who wants to have a job where you don't have, at least, one steady day of the week off?
"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen..let us give them all they want." William T. Sherman
April 21st, 2023 at 1:51:18 PM permalink
DRich
Threads: 51
Quote: Mission146
Depending on the religion, it could even be a day other than Sunday.

I would argue that they should have that right as long as they don't expect to somehow be compensated for it.

If you're open Sunday, then you're probably open seven days per week. I think it's good employee management to always offer an employee to pick a day of the week that they'll never be scheduled to work anyway for a seven day a week business. Who wants to have a job where you don't have, at least, one steady day of the week off?

What about the case where the employer has to pay someone else overtime wages to cover for that worker taking the day off? I think the answer is that everyone should sign employment contracts that spell out the days and times of employment. That way everybody could know up front when they would be expected to work and if they don't agree with it they can negotiate a change or just not sign it and choose not to be employed there.
At my age a Life In Prison sentence is not much of a detrrent.
April 21st, 2023 at 2:13:24 PM permalink
Mission146
Administrator
Quote: DRich
What about the case where the employer has to pay someone else overtime wages to cover for that worker taking the day off? I think the answer is that everyone should sign employment contracts that spell out the days and times of employment. That way everybody could know up front when they would be expected to work and if they don't agree with it they can negotiate a change or just not sign it and choose not to be employed there.

One would assume that they would know how to schedule well-enough that this person, working some day other than a Sunday, would be this other person's day off.

I agree with you that employees should make it known what days they are unwilling to work, in advance. I certainly wouldn't have had a problem with someone requesting a particular day off, every week, in advance, for religious reasons, or any reasons of their own. I just need to know what that day is in advance of you officially starting work.
"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen..let us give them all they want." William T. Sherman
April 21st, 2023 at 5:49:48 PM permalink
kenarman
Threads: 14
Quote: Mission146
One would assume that they would know how to schedule well-enough that this person, working some day other than a Sunday, would be this other person's day off.

I agree with you that employees should make it known what days they are unwilling to work, in advance. I certainly wouldn't have had a problem with someone requesting a particular day off, every week, in advance, for religious reasons, or any reasons of their own. I just need to know what that day is in advance of you officially starting work.

One of my business's ran 24/7. Staffing was always an issue when I had the head of that department do the scheduling. The head person would always schedule weekends off for themselves and end up being perceived as playing favorites with the rest of the staffs scheduling. I finally set some guidelines that basically made it mandatory to share the pain. Everyone had to work either Saturday or Sunday but it was always the same day. Over Christmas everyone had to do 1/2 shift(4HR) on either Xmas or New Years day and it alternated each year which day you worked. Once I did that I had a stable staff for several years and they all got along.
"but if you make yourselves sheep, the wolves will eat you." Benjamin Franklin
April 22nd, 2023 at 7:13:20 AM permalink
Mission146
Administrator
Quote: kenarman
One of my business's ran 24/7. Staffing was always an issue when I had the head of that department do the scheduling. The head person would always schedule weekends off for themselves and end up being perceived as playing favorites with the rest of the staffs scheduling. I finally set some guidelines that basically made it mandatory to share the pain. Everyone had to work either Saturday or Sunday but it was always the same day. Over Christmas everyone had to do 1/2 shift(4HR) on either Xmas or New Years day and it alternated each year which day you worked. Once I did that I had a stable staff for several years and they all got along.

That's what I'm talking about, Kenarman.

Good on you. That's just good employee management right there. If people are going to respect the business enough to mostly show up when they're supposed to, then I'm going to respect them enough by guaranteeing them one day a week that they will never be on the schedule. I don't think it's asking a lot for a person to always know that, on this particular day, they will always be off...so they can make plans, do errands and such.

I also like your Christmas and New Year's thing, but I'd maybe ask for volunteers first. I was always the first in line to volunteer those days; I'd work a 24 if they had let me, because it's like, "Okay, so I get time-and-a-half because I'm working on a holiday, but then, I also get holiday pay anyway because everyone gets it from Christmas? Effectively, you're paying me 2.5x? Sign me up, mothafoo, open to close; please and thank you!!!"
Page 5 of 5« First<2345