No votes (0%)
2 votes (15.38%)
2 votes (15.38%)
No votes (0%)

13 members have voted

February 1st, 2024 at 5:09:37 AM permalink
odiousgambit
Threads: 154
I won't claim that MA's mail in system is corrupt. How would I know? Which is the point.

Gene's account shows the system there tries to keep dead people from voting. Good. Do they do everything possible? maybe, maybe not.

Quote: link, emphasis mine, my comments added in brackets
‘Absentee ballots remain the largest source of potential voter fraud.” ... the conclusion of the bipartisan 2005 report of the Commission on Federal Election Reform, chaired by former President Jimmy Carter and former Secretary of State James Baker III. [clearly being able to request a mail in ballot just for convenience, or mailing out ballots to everyone, is even worse than absentee requests]

Concerns about vote-buying have a long history in the U.S. They helped drive the move to the secret ballot... “Citizens who vote at home, at nursing homes, at the workplace, or in church are more susceptible to pressure, overt and subtle, or to intimidation. Vote buying schemes are far more difficult to detect when citizens vote by mail.” The report provides examples, such as the 1997 Miami mayoral election that resulted in 36 arrests for absentee-ballot fraud. The election had to be rerun, and the result was reversed.

There are more recent cases, too. In 2017 an investigation of a Dallas City Council election found some 700 fraudulent mail-in ballots
In a 2018 North Carolina congressional race ... Mark Harris edged out Democrat Dan McCready... [having] received 61% of mail-in votes, even though registered Republicans accounted for only 19% of those who had requested mail-in ballots. [no I don't like to see Republicans cheat either, I'm an independent]

In 2016, 83 registered voters in San Pedro, Calif., received absentee ballots at the same small two-bedroom apartment. Prosecutors rarely pursue this type of case.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/heed-jimmy-carter-on-the-danger-of-mail-in-voting-11586557667
I'm Still Standing, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah [it's an old guy chant for me]
February 1st, 2024 at 6:13:50 AM permalink
GenoDRPh
Threads: 0
Quote: odiousgambit
I won't claim that MA's mail in system is corrupt. How would I know? Which is the point.

Gene's account shows the system there tries to keep dead people from voting. Good. Do they do everything possible? maybe, maybe not.

Quote: link, emphasis mine, my comments added in brackets
‘Absentee ballots remain the largest source of potential voter fraud.” ... the conclusion of the bipartisan 2005 report of the Commission on Federal Election Reform, chaired by former President Jimmy Carter and former Secretary of State James Baker III. [clearly being able to request a mail in ballot just for convenience, or mailing out ballots to everyone, is even worse than absentee requests]

Concerns about vote-buying have a long history in the U.S. They helped drive the move to the secret ballot... “Citizens who vote at home, at nursing homes, at the workplace, or in church are more susceptible to pressure, overt and subtle, or to intimidation. Vote buying schemes are far more difficult to detect when citizens vote by mail.” The report provides examples, such as the 1997 Miami mayoral election that resulted in 36 arrests for absentee-ballot fraud. The election had to be rerun, and the result was reversed.

There are more recent cases, too. In 2017 an investigation of a Dallas City Council election found some 700 fraudulent mail-in ballots
In a 2018 North Carolina congressional race ... Mark Harris edged out Democrat Dan McCready... [having] received 61% of mail-in votes, even though registered Republicans accounted for only 19% of those who had requested mail-in ballots. [no I don't like to see Republicans cheat either, I'm an independent]

In 2016, 83 registered voters in San Pedro, Calif., received absentee ballots at the same small two-bedroom apartment. Prosecutors rarely pursue this type of case.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/heed-jimmy-carter-on-the-danger-of-mail-in-voting-11586557667

The cases you cite don't happen in MA, With our yearly census and continuous maintenance of voter rolls as well as having to request a ballot versus automatic mailing, MA system is robust, secure and reliable. And OG has no evidence otherwise.

The same Carter-Baker Commission that OG cites as the gold standard also wants us to adopt national system to connect state and local voter registration lists, use Voter identification based on a universally available (i.e FREE at no cost to the voter) REAL ID card and policies to improve voter access for all communities, as well as innovations like vote centers and voter information lookup sites. Two of these make it EASIER for voters to vote, and the other one requires states to spend money.

But OG and others want to focus on making it harder for people to vote. OG does not want policies to improve voter access.
February 1st, 2024 at 6:26:11 AM permalink
odiousgambit
Threads: 154
I'm continuing with "being opposed to *fraud friendly* types of voting"

I'm glad MA is trying to avoid fraud, it would seem. Yet the type is fraud friendly just by being allowed. The tiger can't change it's stripes.
I'm Still Standing, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah [it's an old guy chant for me]
February 1st, 2024 at 6:26:23 AM permalink
ams288
Threads: 29
Quote: SOOPOO
Buffalo is being stressed by large numbers of migrants. Apparently NYC has sent many busses of migrants our way. Asking me to shut up because I point out how foolish most of your posts are is no reason to need any help. I almost never watch Fox News. Notice your post adds absolutely nothing to the conversation (as usual), while my previous post points out the facts of the situation. You are getting worse at posting anything of value. Why is that?

Are the large numbers of migrants being bussed to Buffalo in the room with you right now?
“A straight man will not go for kids.” - AZDuffman
February 1st, 2024 at 6:45:16 AM permalink
GenoDRPh
Quote: odiousgambit
I'm continuing with "being opposed to *fraud friendly* types of voting"

I'm glad MA is trying to avoid fraud, it would seem. Yet the type is fraud friendly just by being allowed. The tiger can't change it's stripes.

Done properly, like MA does, mail in voting isn't as fraud friendly as you believe. Got any proof otherwise?

The difference here is you want to make it more difficult to vote, while I do not. So develop a voting system that maintains reliability and security, while making it easy for a voter to vote.
February 1st, 2024 at 6:52:45 AM permalink
ams288
Threads: 29
Quote: GenoDRPh
Done properly, like MA does, mail in voting isn't as fraud friendly as you believe. Got any proof otherwise?

Of course he has no proof to back up his beliefs, but when has that ever stopped him before?
“A straight man will not go for kids.” - AZDuffman
February 1st, 2024 at 7:36:25 AM permalink
SOOPOO
Threads: 22
Quote: ams288
Are the large numbers of migrants being bussed to Buffalo in the room with you right now?

No. I do know what hotel they are being housed at. A friend’s daughter has a job involving getting them ‘the services they need’. He said she took the job because it pays ‘really well’. My tax dollars paying for it all, of course.

Your question is as usual childish and unnecessarily argumentative. If you mention some bad law about abortion rights, should I ask you if you are ever going to need an abortion?
February 1st, 2024 at 7:36:59 AM permalink
kenarman
Threads: 14
Quote: GenoDRPh
That what the voices in your head tell you, or is it that's how you run your elections?

The point isn't whether you or I have voices in our heads, as usual you miss the point and resort to insult. The point is you can't prove that there wasn't duress during your filling out of the ballot. This means the integrity of a mail in ballot is not as secure as an in person vote. Why do in person polling stations have booths that keep others from viewing your selection when you vote? These rules were developed over a century or two to correct problems that were happening.

You vote in your dorm room. How do I know that you aren't your roommate's b...h and do everything he tells you including who to vote for? There is no arguing that mail in voting is as secure as in person voting. You obviously don't care. Some of us want a voting system that is secure from being gamed.
"but if you make yourselves sheep, the wolves will eat you." Benjamin Franklin
February 1st, 2024 at 7:42:08 AM permalink
SOOPOO
Threads: 22
Quote: kenarman
The point isn't whether you or I have voices in our heads, as usual you miss the point and resort to insult. The point is you can't prove that there wasn't duress during your filling out of the ballot. This means the integrity of a mail in ballot is not as secure as an in person vote. Why do in person polling stations have booths that keep others from viewing your selection when you vote? These rules were developed over a century or two to correct problems that were happening.

You vote in your dorm room. How do I know that you aren't your roommate's b...h and do everything he tells you including who to vote for? There is no arguing that mail in voting is as secure as in person voting. You obviously don't care. Some of us want a voting system that is secure from being gamed.

This!

And specifically think of addled/demented parents whose kids take care of their parents. Not hard at all for them to fill out the geezer’s ballots. That’s not a Democrat or Republican issue. Both sides can do it. I want no side to BE ABLE to do it.
February 1st, 2024 at 7:57:23 AM permalink
GenoDRPh
Quote: kenarman

My first ballot ever was absentee from my college dorm. My roommate at the time couldn't care any less about who I voted for.

In Massachusetts, mail in voting is as secure as in person voting, with the safeguards we have in place. Your speculatory parade of horribles doesn't happen here.

I currently vote in a single family home, currently occupied by one working age, college educated professional adult, as my most recent co-resident suddenly died in December 2023. That currently alive voter would be me. So who would have durresed me to vote contrary to my wishes, when I was the only person present while I voted? Your arguments are as stupid as they are completely speculative. They are beyond speculation. If you tried to make the arguments you just made in court, the judge would laugh you out the courthouse.