No votes (0%)
2 votes (15.38%)
2 votes (15.38%)
No votes (0%)

13 members have voted

February 1st, 2024 at 1:26:22 PM permalink
odiousgambit
Threads: 154
let's not get confused about who has to produce evidence and who doesn't. And not confused about what counts: anecdotal counts for about nothing, which is what Gene is presenting, meantime the opposite position ... well, I have been providing links

plus the country spent millions on that Carter/Baker study ... only for the democrats to get some good ideas on how to cheat better, it looks like
I'm Still Standing, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah [it's an old guy chant for me]
February 1st, 2024 at 1:46:59 PM permalink
YeahBaby
Threads: 5
Trumper kicking Biden ASS bye 11 pionts baby!!!!!!!

Trump leads Biden with independent voters by 11 points: Poll

whats wrong??? cat got your tongue lil man???????????????????????

Take that lil man!!!!!! hahahahahahaha

TRUMPER WILL WIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
February 1st, 2024 at 3:14:09 PM permalink
JimRockford
Threads: 2
Quote: SOOPOO
You are just so gullible. The ‘border bill’ will still allow a MINIMUM of 1400 migrants to enter our country every day. Despite all the places they will likely go to (NYC, Chicago, etc..) declaring they have no money/facilities/housing for them. That 1400 is just the FAKE asylum seekers. Doesn’t even include the literally hundreds of thousands who sneak by the porous border annually. The Dems don’t want barbed wire. Don’t want waterborne blocks. Don’t want …..security. It’s really unbelievable that this proposed bill is an IMPROVEMENT on the current Democrat farce of a border.

Trump, the worst human to ever be President, is actually ahead of Biden because enough Americans aren’t as gullible as your post indicates you must be. Go ahead and try and convince anyone who has paid ANY attention over the Trump and Biden administrations that Biden actually cares about securing the border. Good freaking luck.

Like it or not, the right to seek asylum is the law and the president is obligated to enforce it. Under normal circumstances there is a process to screen out bogus claims and detain those whose claim might have merit while waiting for their claim to be heard. The current problem is that there are more people seeking asylum at the southern border than we have facilities, and judges to handle so in order to comply with the law, claimants are released into the population while waiting for their hearing (catch and release). The only way a president can try to correct this is through executive orders of questionable legality.

The bipartisan bill being negotiated in the Senate is an attempt to restore some order to the process by increasing detention facilities and increasing the number of officers and judges so more people can be processed faster and at the same time add some restrictions on how many people can seek asylum so that all of them can be detained. No more catch and release.

Will the final bill achieve this. I don't know but Trump and the other critics don't either. And speaking of gullible... Who believes the distortions and exaggerations from Trump and his supporters are meant to do anything other than deny the Democrats a win and preserve their strongest campaign issue?
The mind hungers for that on which it feeds.
February 1st, 2024 at 5:09:19 PM permalink
JimRockford
Duplicate
February 1st, 2024 at 5:12:22 PM permalink
JimRockford
Duplicate
February 1st, 2024 at 5:39:09 PM permalink
JimRockford
Duplicate
February 1st, 2024 at 10:26:23 PM permalink
JimRockford
Duplicates
February 2nd, 2024 at 4:07:06 AM permalink
RonC
Threads: 8
Quote: JimRockford
Like it or not, the right to seek asylum is the law and the president is obligated to enforce it. Under normal circumstances there is a process to screen out bogus claims and detain those whose claim might have merit while waiting for their claim to be heard. The current problem is that there are more people seeking asylum at the southern border than we have facilities, and judges to handle so in order to comply with the law, claimants are released into the population while waiting for their hearing (catch and release). The only way a president can try to correct this is through executive orders of questionable legality.

The bipartisan bill being negotiated in the Senate is an attempt to restore some order to the process by increasing detention facilities and increasing the number of officers and judges so more people can be processed faster and at the same time add some restrictions on how many people can seek asylum so that all of them can be detained. No more catch and release.

Will the final bill achieve this. I don't know but Trump and the other critics don't either. And speaking of gullible... Who believes the distortions and exaggerations from Trump and his supporters are meant to do anything other than deny the Democrats a win and preserve their strongest campaign issue?

If there is a "right to seek asylum" based on existing laws, is the attempt to limit the number--be it 1.400 or 5,000 per day--going to make it through court challenges?

I don't feel too bad about denying President Biden a win by not passing a crappy bill. Why do I think it is crappy? Most bills conjured up in secret negotiations that Congress tries to ram through are not good ones. If you have a good bill, it can be debated in public as it is being written and stand up to criticism. Besides, Biden is just trying to do this now because the poll numbers on it aren't good. He's basically ignored the problem for three years after telling everyone they were invited to come here.

If the bill turns out to be less than a turd, I could end up with a different opinion.
February 2nd, 2024 at 6:31:42 AM permalink
GenoDRPh
Threads: 0
Quote: odiousgambit
let's not get confused about who has to produce evidence and who doesn't. And not confused about what counts: anecdotal counts for about nothing, which is what Gene is presenting, meantime the opposite position ... well, I have been providing links

plus the country spent millions on that Carter/Baker study ... only for the democrats to get some good ideas on how to cheat better, it looks like

He who makes the claims has the burden.
February 2nd, 2024 at 8:48:33 AM permalink
SOOPOO
Threads: 22
Quote: JimRockford

I am not against the right to seek asylum. What I am against is the blatant and obvious misuse of the word asylum. ‘I don’t have a job in Guatemala and can make more money in the USA so I’m crossing that border’ is the truth. What I will say is ‘there are bad people in Guatemala who are politically oppressing me’.

Trust me, if we get a Trump Presidency, with a Repub House and Senate, the fake asylum seekers will be weeded out post haste.