DeSantis: the real deal?

March 22nd, 2023 at 12:32:56 PM permalink
Mission146
Administrator
Threads: 23
Quote: DRich
Why should we use an age as a reason to restrict education?

To clarify, I used the word, 'Need.'

It just doesn't seem like a very pragmatic bill or very pragmatic opposition to the bill. Unless I am missing something, the bill addresses something that probably wasn't happening to any meaningful extent in the first place.
"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen..let us give them all they want." William T. Sherman
March 22nd, 2023 at 2:21:00 PM permalink
DRich
Threads: 51
Quote: Mission146
To clarify, I used the word, 'Need.'

It just doesn't seem like a very pragmatic bill or very pragmatic opposition to the bill. Unless I am missing something, the bill addresses something that probably wasn't happening to any meaningful extent in the first place.

I was not referring to the bill, just a blanket statement. "Why should we use an age as a reason to restrict education?"
At my age a Life In Prison sentence is not much of a detrrent.
March 22nd, 2023 at 6:16:03 PM permalink
ams288
Threads: 29
The gloves are off.

Kinda funny to see a Republican describe Florida as the third world hellhole it is!
“A straight man will not go for kids.” - AZDuffman
March 22nd, 2023 at 6:53:24 PM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Quote: ams288
The gloves are off.

Kinda funny to see a Republican describe Florida as the third world hellhole it is!

No doubt there is a ton of crime down here
Is it Desantis fault
not really
Regardless, this is a crime ridden state
We attract all the crazies due to weather
Would you rather steal cars in cold Detroit or sunny FL
The RV park I'm in right now, I make sure my bike is always locked
Night time brings out all the crazies and this aint a gated community which is popular down here with all the crime
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
March 23rd, 2023 at 6:28:15 AM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Will the nanny states start busting Moms

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/maren-morris-lgbtq-concert-drag-queens-concert-son-221733126.html
Maren Morris made it clear where she stands on Tennessee's controversial new bill restricting drag performances. The country star performed alongside Nashville drag queen Alexia Noelle at a benefit concert on Monday supporting the LGBTQ+ community, where Morris proudly talked about introducing her young son, Hayes, to drag queens backstage. Morris and husband Ryan Hurd's boy turns 3 on Thursday.
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
March 23rd, 2023 at 7:29:40 AM permalink
Mission146
Administrator
I was not referring to the bill, just a blanket statement. "Why should we use an age as a reason to restrict education?"

Probably because most people can agree that it's inappropriate to give a three-year old an object lesson on what a vibrator is and how it's used? It gets to the point where you could get 99.9%+ of society to agree that something is inappropriate if you are willing to define, "Education," as loosely as possible.
"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen..let us give them all they want." William T. Sherman
March 23rd, 2023 at 7:32:37 AM permalink
Mission146
Administrator
Quote: terapined

No doubt there is a ton of crime down here
Is it Desantis fault
not really
Regardless, this is a crime ridden state
We attract all the crazies due to weather
Would you rather steal cars in cold Detroit or sunny FL
The RV park I'm in right now, I make sure my bike is always locked
Night time brings out all the crazies and this aint a gated community which is popular down here with all the crime

Not that I would ever expect a Trump supporter to care about logical consistency, but it seems pretty strange to criticize DeSantis' for his measures to prevent the spread of Covid-19 in the early part of the pandemic whilst also criticizing the death rate, due to Covid, in that very same state.
March 23rd, 2023 at 7:34:24 AM permalink
Mission146
Administrator
To clarify: I'm not suggesting you can't criticize either of those things individually, just pick one. If not for A, then B might have been worse, but again, I don't expect a Trump supporter to understand that anyway. All they care is Big Orange is talking shizz on someone.
March 23rd, 2023 at 10:30:44 AM permalink
DRich
Threads: 51
Quote: Mission146
Probably because most people can agree that it's inappropriate to give a three-year old an object lesson on what a vibrator is and how it's used? It gets to the point where you could get 99.9%+ of society to agree that something is inappropriate if you are willing to define, "Education," as loosely as possible.

I don't disagree but I am starting to think that 99.9% of the people are wrong.

Why is it inappropriate to teach children about sex? I realize the public perception is that it is wrong, but why is it wrong?
At my age a Life In Prison sentence is not much of a detrrent.
March 23rd, 2023 at 10:34:40 AM permalink
Mission146
Administrator
I don't disagree but I am starting to think that 99.9% of the people are wrong.

Why is it inappropriate to teach children about sex? I realize the public perception is that it is wrong, but why is it wrong?

Is social contract theory wrong? Eventually, we'd arrive at a point wherein we would be discussing whether or not there is any intrinsic and absolute merit to the concept of organized society as a whole. I think we'd both ultimately agree that there isn't, but then, would go back to the reality of living in a country, and world, that largely assumes that there is; we'd almost certainly continue to operate accordingly.