would you visit a linear city in Saudi Arabia

Page 3 of 4<1234>
November 11th, 2022 at 7:30:10 AM permalink
Gandler
Threads: 27
Quote: DRich
You may be biased.

I may be, but it does not matter, by any objective measure America has more personal freedoms and less government restrictions on speech and personal activities than Saudi Arabia.
November 11th, 2022 at 7:32:23 AM permalink
Gandler
Threads: 27
Quote: AZDuffman
What you do not grasp is we do not care if it is “private” government. We do not want more silly rules just for rules sake.

You seem to like more rules as long as it is not KSA making them.

It depends on the rules. Rules are not inherently bad. But, Saudi Arabia's rules are bad by any modern standard (UNHR, personal freedoms, world freedom index, etc....)
November 11th, 2022 at 7:36:47 AM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
What you do not grasp is we do not care if it is “private” government. We do not want more silly rules just for rules sake.

You seem to like more rules as long as it is not KSA making them.

You're ignoring the flip side of the coin. The neighbor from hell. So few rules, and he knows how push the limits without getting into much trouble

So, you don't have a bad HOA or a neighbor from hell. But there's still the flip side.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
November 11th, 2022 at 9:58:24 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: rxwine
You're ignoring the flip side of the coin. The neighbor from hell. So few rules, and he knows how push the limits without getting into much trouble

So, you don't have a bad HOA or a neighbor from hell. But there's still the flip side.

Depends on your definition of “neighbors from hell.” The flip side there is in exchange for someone who does not keep things to your standards then YOU get rules that restrict yourself. I grew up next to a house that was totally neglected but we also were always working on cars or something so the trade off was worth it. HOA lovers call the “neighbors from hell” just people who work on their cars or hang out wash to dry or park their contractor pickup in their own driveway or zeroscape instead of a full lawn.
The President is a fink.
November 11th, 2022 at 10:06:03 AM permalink
DRich
Threads: 51
Depends on your definition of “neighbors from hell.” The flip side there is in exchange for someone who does not keep things to your standards then YOU get rules that restrict yourself. I grew up next to a house that was totally neglected but we also were always working on cars or something so the trade off was worth it. HOA lovers call the “neighbors from hell” just people who work on their cars or hang out wash to dry or park their contractor pickup in their own driveway or zeroscape instead of a full lawn.

I would argue that HOA's are great for those who agree with the covenants. If you don't agree with them why would you move in?
At my age a Life In Prison sentence is not much of a detrrent.
November 11th, 2022 at 10:55:00 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
I would argue that HOA's are great for those who agree with the covenants. If you don't agree with them why would you move in?

Lack of alternatives. 80% of new consuls HOA.
The President is a fink.
November 11th, 2022 at 11:05:10 AM permalink
DRich
Threads: 51
Lack of alternatives. 80% of new consuls HOA.

There are plenty of alternatives, just not desirable alternatives. Most ghettos do not have HOA's.
At my age a Life In Prison sentence is not much of a detrrent.
November 11th, 2022 at 11:23:41 AM permalink
rxwine
There are plenty of alternatives, just not desirable alternatives. Most ghettos do not have HOA's.

You need HOA rules not vulnerable to Karen's

Rules along the line "Objects in yard should be placed in an orderly manner" is okay.

Not "No more than two lawn ornaments per yard" or "No American flags except on flag day"or "Curtin's in windows must be white or beige"
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
November 11th, 2022 at 11:28:27 AM permalink
rxwine
...I would go with no more than 5 lawn ornaments, if anything. Heh. And probably have to make that initial rule a little more specific.
November 11th, 2022 at 12:06:48 PM permalink
rxwine
Speaking of lawn ornaments, back when I lived in Texas my girlfriend at the time had me leave her house by a different route than usual so she could show me two neighbors feuding. One had bought an 8 foot gorilla replica (must of cost 1k at least) and positioned it right at the edge of the other guy's property staring into the front window if the guy looked out.

it would just make me laugh, but these guys were fighting about something.
Page 3 of 4<1234>