The Trump Arrest thread

August 15th, 2023 at 11:19:03 AM permalink
Mission146
Administrator
Threads: 23
Quote: rxwine
We actually haven’t had any other First Ladies with ambitions to be President that I know of. I could be wrong, just going from memory.

Eleanor Roosevelt was the de facto POTUS, for a time, but even if that had been widely known, there's no way a woman could have actually won the office officially back then.
"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen..let us give them all they want." William T. Sherman
August 15th, 2023 at 12:27:58 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Quote: Mission146
Disagree. Obama beat her for the nomination, straight up, no two ways about it. I know the total vote was close, but he won in delegates, contests (by a lot) and popular vote, which was a squeaker.

After that, she would have had to beat McCain, which I'm not confident she could do. Of course, had he still picked Palin as a running mate, who knows?

Trump was easily her best shot. The Democratic nomination was basically handed to her; Sanders was relatively careful not to punch her too hard and 2% popular vote would normally be a relatively safe margin nationally.

She made several mistakes: The overall tone of her campaign sucked; she comes off as extremely shrill when she's at a podium; "Deplorables"; and her campaign (with her having a popular vote lead in national and relevant state polling) started making a push in very improbable states...which I can only assume was to run up the score. Maybe there was a strategy behind it like a, "Backup state," sort of thing, but if so, then that strategy sucked. I think you could maybe do it, but this was August or September of 2016 they started making these pushes; you'd have to start much earlier.

I think I didn't make my point clear. Hillary was her freshest unmarred self in the first campaign, but for charismatic Obama showing up. That she blew it or made other mistakes was just the bad icing on the cake.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
August 15th, 2023 at 12:32:57 PM permalink
Mission146
Administrator
Quote: rxwine
I think I didn't make my point clear. Hillary was her freshest unmarred self in the first campaign, but for charismatic Obama showing up. That she blew it or made other mistakes was just the bad icing on the cake.

I understand what you're saying now. It's like, 2008, but for Obama. 2016, but for a myriad of things...which includes having lost to Obama in 2008.
"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen..let us give them all they want." William T. Sherman
August 15th, 2023 at 1:16:11 PM permalink
SOOPOO
Threads: 22
I think the Georgia ‘racketeering’ indictments hinge on the recorded phone call with Trump saying ‘I need you to find 11,000 more votes’. The problem to me is that he very well might have thought those votes existed and were legally cast. And somehow just not counted. If he said I need you to MAKE UP 11,000 votes that is a DIFFERENT bird.

91 indictments so far. I still am not sure he gets convicted on a single one. If I remember correctly, if he passes on before a jury votes, he will never be a convicted felon.

I know this is DT and not WoV, but I’d (at even money) still bet Trump never sees the inside of a jail cell.
August 15th, 2023 at 1:21:57 PM permalink
Mission146
Administrator
Quote: SOOPOO
I think the Georgia ‘racketeering’ indictments hinge on the recorded phone call with Trump saying ‘I need you to find 11,000 more votes’. The problem to me is that he very well might have thought those votes existed and were legally cast. And somehow just not counted. If he said I need you to MAKE UP 11,000 votes that is a DIFFERENT bird.

91 indictments so far. I still am not sure he gets convicted on a single one. If I remember correctly, if he passes on before a jury votes, he will never be a convicted felon.

I know this is DT and not WoV, but I’d (at even money) still bet Trump never sees the inside of a jail cell.

You can keep your even money.

I think it was this thread, but I would say the, 'Find me votes,' isn't exactly the least of it, but it's no more than the half of it. He as much as threatened criminal action against a state official. You should read the snippets I quoted.

Here's the thing lots of Trumpers don't seem to get...and this is just legally speaking, ignore that it's Trump---a person can say, "I wasn't actually being serious," okay, sometimes it doesn't matter if you were, 'actually being serious,' you still can't say things if they involve a crime or are an attempt to commit a crime.
August 15th, 2023 at 1:57:48 PM permalink
ams288
Threads: 29
I’m sorry, but these jokes will NEVER get old to me.

Quote:
Breaking: Rudy Giuliani has requested asylum at the Embassy Suites
“A straight man will not go for kids.” - AZDuffman
August 15th, 2023 at 2:27:13 PM permalink
DRich
Threads: 51
Quote: SOOPOO

I would not be that confident. Prior to booking and mugshots people are often put in a holding cell.
At my age a Life In Prison sentence is not much of a detrrent.
August 15th, 2023 at 3:19:43 PM permalink
Gandler
Threads: 27
Apparently, Trump is trying to get the GA case over to Federal Court (instead of GA), I guess he thinks he will do better with a Federal judge.
August 15th, 2023 at 3:36:16 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
He can pardon himself if it’s federal.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
August 15th, 2023 at 4:55:18 PM permalink
SOOPOO
Threads: 22
Quote: DRich
I would not be that confident. Prior to booking and mugshots people are often put in a holding cell.

I think he has been allowed to stroll in with his attorneys. This is a lose lose for the country. Acquitted it ‘seems’ like the rich and powerful can get away with anything. Convicted and it ‘seems’ like a nefarious political ploy. I’ve said since the standard is reasonable doubt, convictions will be hard to come by. As always, being found not guilty in NO WAY means you did not commit the crime.

What a miserable post presidency life he is having….