The Trump Arrest thread

August 14th, 2023 at 8:54:01 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Quote:
Former president Donald Trump and 18 others were criminally charged in Georgia on Monday in connection with efforts to overturn Joe Biden’s 2020 victory in the state, according to an indictment made public late Monday night.

Trump was charged with 13 counts, including violating the state’s racketeering act, soliciting a public officer to violate their oath, conspiring to impersonate a public officer, conspiring to commit forgery in the first degree and conspiring to file false documents.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
August 15th, 2023 at 3:12:32 AM permalink
ams288
Threads: 29
Lock ‘em all up!

Presidents can’t pardon state charges either.
“A straight man will not go for kids.” - AZDuffman
August 15th, 2023 at 5:04:34 AM permalink
RonC
Threads: 8
Quote: ams288
Lock ‘em all up!

Presidents can’t pardon state charges either.

Shouldn't we at least wait for a trial before we lock'em and toss away the key?

I do believe Trump committed more than one crime that he is being charged with but there is some overcharging here so the courts will spend some time figuring all of them out. I am far from ruling out Trump going to jail and the circus figuring out how to handle that with his protectee status,, etc.

Georgia pardons cannot be issued until five years after the full sentence is served and aren't done by the Governor.

I don't know what will happen with the other President who could eventually face charges with circumstantial evidence that is accumulating that may eventually tie him criminally to his very smart businessman son, Hunter. Many convictions are based on circumstantial evidence alone.

It will make for an interesting election cycle.

The echo chambers on each side make the "news reporting" laughable. I've watched some of both.

I think both of them are dirty, but what do I know?
August 15th, 2023 at 5:52:49 AM permalink
ams288
Quote: RonC

I’m just following the “lock her up” crowd’s lead.
August 15th, 2023 at 6:11:38 AM permalink
RonC
Threads: 8
I’m just following the “lock her up” crowd’s lead.

Then lock'em up!

It would not make sense for one side to not follow along with something dumb from the other!
August 15th, 2023 at 6:16:20 AM permalink
ams288
Then lock'em up!

It would not make sense for one side to not follow along with something dumb from the other!

There’s a reason this image went viral last night: sometimes you gotta enjoy the karma!

August 15th, 2023 at 6:35:40 AM permalink
rxwine

I do believe Trump committed more than one crime that he is being charged with but there is some overcharging here so the courts will spend some time figuring all of them out. I am far from ruling out Trump going to jail and the circus figuring out how to handle that with his protectee status,, etc.

Georgia pardons cannot be issued until five years after the full sentence is served and aren't done by the Governor.

I don't know what will happen with the other President who could eventually face charges with circumstantial evidence that is accumulating that may eventually tie him criminally to his very smart businessman son, Hunter. Many convictions are based on circumstantial evidence alone.

It will make for an interesting election cycle.

The echo chambers on each side make the "news reporting" laughable. I've watched some of both.

I think both of them are dirty, but what do I know?

If Biden was dumb enough to actively engage in recorded phone conversations about criminal acts, which almost any fool would know might be recorded by someone, then he deserves to go to jail. And when this happened, he wasn't in a deteriorating mental condition. So, I'm far from buying he was that foolish.
That his son was having him pipe up from across the room to fool the other party that he was part of the active conversation does seem possible. He turned on speaker phone when he needed a voice from his dad. As dad might be across a big room, (none live in a small house) his dad probably couldn't even hear most of the conversation, and when speaker phone is off he is only hearing half. As a defense attorney I would certainly be pointing that this is not a smoking gun case, with more than what they say. You need reasonable doubt. That could be enough.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
August 15th, 2023 at 6:40:05 AM permalink
ams288
Quote: rxwine
If Biden was dumb enough to actively engage in recorded phone conversations about criminal acts, which almost any fool would know might be recorded by someone, then he deserves to go to jail. And when this happened, he wasn't in a deteriorating mental condition. So, I'm far from buying he was that foolish.
That his son was having him pipe up from across the room to fool the other party that he was part of the active conversation does seem possible. He turned on speaker phone when he needed a voice from his dad. As dad might be across a big room, (none live in a small house) his dad probably couldn't even hear most of the conversation, and when speaker phone is off he is only hearing half. As a defense attorney I would certainly be pointing that this is not a smoking gun case, with more than what they say. You need reasonable doubt. That could be enough.

This is about Donny, not Biden. You’re falling for RonC’s “both sides” trap.
August 15th, 2023 at 6:44:49 AM permalink
rxwine
This is about Donny, not Biden. You’re falling for RonC’s “both sides” trap.

Not making the "both sides" argument, but that there's still plenty of room to doubt both the Joe is a silent partner argument or the willing participant argument.
August 15th, 2023 at 6:57:05 AM permalink
rxwine
I do believe Joe might have made some statement to any member of his family similar to, "Look, I don't want to hear about this." or something similar during which his family members were making money off his name and position. It's not likely many people run to the FBI and turn in their family member. I'd say most people turn in family members if the member murdered someone. Only thing I can say, is many probably would say, don't get me involved, I don't want to know.

Ethical? No. Common. Probably. In such circumstances that apply.