In the News II

June 25th, 2023 at 3:53:34 PM permalink
PotPie
Threads: 5
the bet -

will it be confirmed that Biden has dementia before the 2024 election_____________?

no____ -215

yes___ +175

the foolish sayings of a rich man pass for words of wisdom by the fools around him
June 25th, 2023 at 4:06:26 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Quote: PotPie
the bet -

will it be confirmed that Biden has dementia before the 2024 election_____________?

no____ -215

yes___ +175

Nevada has the earliest filing deadline. Some other Democrat could get in as long as it's by October. 2023.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
June 25th, 2023 at 4:21:03 PM permalink
kenarman
Threads: 14
Quote: Gandler
Quote: kenarman
Quote: ams288
Quote: Tanko
'Oakland Resilient Families' is a two year guaranteed income pilot project to provide $500 per month to 600 'Black Indigenous People of Color' families. A second phase added 300 more families to the project.

It excludes poor whites, but the program is privately funded.

The project ends this month.

So kenarman has been spamming this thread with his panties in a twist over some privately funded program?!

The horror!!!!

"Oakland Resilient Families began with Mayor Libby Schaaf’s pledge to bring a guaranteed income pilot to Oakland when she joined Mayors for a Guaranteed Income as a founding mayor in the summer of 2020. Oakland Resilient Families is 100% funded through philanthropic donations and run by a collaboration of local community-based organizations."

I guess the mayor couldn't get support for taxpayers dollars, YET. Run this is a pilot with to see if it helps the families. Wonder what that answer will be since I am sure it will be an unbiased report. Then with that 'proof' they expand it to government money.

It 100% should be government funded. There have been many similar experiments in both America and various other countries (including Finland), and in every study the family receiving the money views the results as positive.

I am all for Andrew Yang's 1K a month for all.

I do agree that such programs being targeted to one race is silly. It should either be for all, or for specific income parameters.

The biggest experiment yet in free money for all has been Covid. It has proven with out a doubt that it is terrible for a country. We have managed to destroy the work ethic of a whole generation. This reduced productivity of the US and Canada is what is one of the main reasons we still have inflation.
"but if you make yourselves sheep, the wolves will eat you." Benjamin Franklin
June 25th, 2023 at 4:24:59 PM permalink
ams288
Threads: 29
Jesus, righties still blaming everything on those $1200 Trump checks.
“A straight man will not go for kids.” - AZDuffman
June 25th, 2023 at 4:26:30 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
'Oakland Resilient Families' is a two year guaranteed income pilot project to provide $500 per month to 600 'Black Indigenous People of Color' families. A second phase added 300 more families to the project.

So kenarman has been spamming this thread with his panties in a twist over some privately funded program?!

The horror!!!!

"Oakland Resilient Families began with Mayor Libby Schaaf’s pledge to bring a guaranteed income pilot to Oakland when she joined Mayors for a Guaranteed Income as a founding mayor in the summer of 2020. Oakland Resilient Families is 100% funded through philanthropic donations and run by a collaboration of local community-based organizations."

I guess the mayor couldn't get support for taxpayers dollars, YET. Run this is a pilot with to see if it helps the families. Wonder what that answer will be since I am sure it will be an unbiased report. Then with that 'proof' they expand it to government money.

It 100% should be government funded. There have been many similar experiments in both America and various other countries (including Finland), and in every study the family receiving the money views the results as positive.

I do agree that such programs being targeted to one race is silly. It should either be for all, or for specific income parameters.

And how exactly to you propose we do this? To give $1000 you need to tax at least $1100 probably to pull it off.

Only a complete idiot would think we can do this. Same kind of idiots who think a male is a female because they "identify" as such. No wonder Putin was not afraid of our response to his invasion.
The President is a fink.
June 25th, 2023 at 4:31:42 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189

The horror!!!!

The biggest experiment yet in free money for all has been Covid. It has proven with out a doubt that it is terrible for a country. We have managed to destroy the work ethic of a whole generation. This reduced productivity of the US and Canada is what is one of the main reasons we still have inflation.

Destroyed? Is unemployment back up to 15%?
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
June 25th, 2023 at 4:35:58 PM permalink
Gandler
Threads: 27
Quote: AZDuffman

The horror!!!!

And how exactly to you propose we do this? To give $1000 you need to tax at least $1100 probably to pull it off.

Only a complete idiot would think we can do this. Same kind of idiots who think a male is a female because they "identify" as such. No wonder Putin was not afraid of our response to his invasion.

In a number of ways, a Value Added Tax is the most mainstream example for a single way to cover the cost. This is probably also the most efficient tax because there is no way to avoid it, if a product/service is sold within the U.S. it must be paid (unlike income and corporate taxes which there are a lot of ways to get out of). A national sales tax (similar in some regards) would be another example (though unlike VAT this tends to effect low income the most as it only applies at the point of sale).
June 25th, 2023 at 4:42:35 PM permalink
ams288
Threads: 29
Quote: AZDuffman

Man, a lot going on here:

Complete misunderstanding of economics✔️
Duffman’s “curious” obsession with trans women✔️
Kissing Putin’s ass ✔️

Honestly, a great snapshot of why the GOP is in such bad shape right now. They constantly focus on some weird sh**!
“A straight man will not go for kids.” - AZDuffman
June 25th, 2023 at 4:44:08 PM permalink
Gandler
Threads: 27

The horror!!!!

Unemployment is at near historic lows even with it's recent uptick last month (in the U.S. I can't speak for Canada). I would say that COVID did not destroy work ethic, it showed people their work, and people understand that there is power in demanding higher wages and benefits. We went from a world where people were desperate to find an employer to a world where employers are desperate to find employees. This is a massive win for labor rights.

Productivity metrics are challenging, and some would argue meaningless. But, the largest downfall in productivity is due to employers laying off experienced workers to save money (and hiring unexperienced workers). This is the fault of employers not employees. This is also contributing to large turnover (people floating job to job as opposed to becoming very efficient with one employer), and people now know that there is no benefit in loyalty (which is true).

https://tradingeconomics.com/united-states/unemployment-rate

https://www.shrm.org/hr-today/news/hr-news/pages/worker-productivity-is-down-is-remote-work-to-blame.aspx#:~:text=U.S.%20worker%20productivity%20year%2Dover,person%20work%20produces%20better%20results%3F
June 25th, 2023 at 5:52:32 PM permalink
kenarman
Threads: 14

and people now know that there is no benefit in loyalty (which is true).

And that is the result of Covid, thanks for proving my point. A generation has lost its way.
"but if you make yourselves sheep, the wolves will eat you." Benjamin Franklin