In the News II

June 26th, 2023 at 7:42:34 AM permalink
kenarman
Threads: 14
Quote: Gandler

Nobody thinks wealth can be made from nothing, but it can be redistributed.

Name one country in the world that has equal distribution of wealth.
"but if you make yourselves sheep, the wolves will eat you." Benjamin Franklin
June 26th, 2023 at 7:42:44 AM permalink
kenarman
Threads: 14
Quote: Gandler

Nobody thinks wealth can be made from nothing, but it can be redistributed.

"but if you make yourselves sheep, the wolves will eat you." Benjamin Franklin
June 26th, 2023 at 7:43:36 AM permalink
DoubleGold
Threads: 30
I'll feed you if you're down on luck until you get on your feet again.

You can eat at my table, if you have manners and are clean.

You can use one of my showers and I'll buy you clothes without holes in them.

But you'll help out with the chores in return.

That's the condition.

Related by blood or not related.

Everyone contributes.

I won't contribute to you not doing your fair share.
June 26th, 2023 at 8:02:40 AM permalink
ams288
Threads: 29
Quote: kenarman

??

Where did Gandler say there’s a country with equal distribution of wealth?
“A straight man will not go for kids.” - AZDuffman
June 26th, 2023 at 8:46:12 AM permalink
Gandler
Threads: 27

None. But, every country redistributed wealth to varying degrees.
June 26th, 2023 at 12:39:50 PM permalink
SOOPOO
Threads: 22
Quote: ams288
Jesus, righties still blaming everything on those $1200 Trump checks.

This is of course a typical intentionally stupid post. The $1200 checks were a pittance compared to the $600 a week worker getting $900 a week to not work for a couple of years. But you knew that….
June 26th, 2023 at 12:50:13 PM permalink
ams288
Quote: SOOPOO
This is of course a typical intentionally stupid post.

Possibly, but it was in response to someone else’s intentionally stupid post.
June 26th, 2023 at 1:31:13 PM permalink
ams288
Too soon?

June 26th, 2023 at 2:34:53 PM permalink
Gandler
Threads: 27
Quote: SOOPOO
This is of course a typical intentionally stupid post. The $1200 checks were a pittance compared to the $600 a week worker getting $900 a week to not work for a couple of years. But you knew that….

That is not how it ever worked. The max was 50 weeks (and only 39 weeks at the enhanced 600 additional level). And, this was the max (did not apply to everyone). And, even the reduced benefits expired in early 2021, so this has not been relevant for some time. By the way these were Republican and Trump initiatives, this cannot be blamed on Dems. Biden quickly reduced and eliminated these benefits (which was foolish in my opinion)....

You can see the DOL for specific breakdowns:
https://blog.dol.gov/2021/01/11/unemployment-benefits-answering-common-questions

Though I do not blame people for using this benefit. If I got laid off during COVID simply because my employer felt like they did not have to pay me when there was not enough business, I would absolutely milk the UE and give them the middle finger and then not return to work for them. I think you would be foolish not to. Why would you not apply for increased unemployment if the option was there? I am pretty sure every Republican I know who lost their job during COVID happily jumped on it.

The idea that this is the fault of the left (in drafting this policy) or the fault of the left in using these benefits (more than the right) is silly and factually inaccurate. In fact if you count PPP loans (which were largely forgiven so basically grants), it overwhelmingly helped the right. Though it is funny that people on the right are horrified that workers got a few more dollars in their unemployment checks (after being laid off by greedy employers trying to save money in a downturn), while they are praising companies for taking millions from the government. Almost seems like a double standard, almost.......

https://www.federalpay.org/paycheck-protection-program/top-loans

For example, Southern California Pizza Company got 10 million (Pizza Hut Franchise in Socal), did they really need 10 million to stay open when food delivery was thriving? I am sure you will say the federal government will absolutely need to throw 10 mil at pizza hut, while in the next sentence saying that the poor delivery driver who got laid off is a government mooch for getting an extra 600 a week for a few weeks....

Do you know what percentage of the Cares Act went straight to corporations and businesses and what percentage went to unemployment and Trump checks?
Well see for yourself:
https://www.investopedia.com/coronavirus-aid-relief-and-economic-security-cares-act-4800707#:~:text=Understanding%20the%20CARES%20Act,-At%20about%20%242&text=The%20CARES%20Act%20can%20be,and%20state%20and%20local%20government.

The idea that unemployment and Trump checks were a significant percentage of the COVID funding is a farce.
June 26th, 2023 at 5:22:30 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135

North Korea?
The President is a fink.