In the News II

December 2nd, 2023 at 12:47:15 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Quote: SOOPOO
I used to think Fetterman was unfit to be a Senator. Now he’s BY FAR my favorite politician. He said of Menendez…. ‘He’s less popular than a cold sore’. Said his offenses are worse than Santos’s. The Republicans (finally) did their job in getting rid of Santos. It’s now the Democrats’ turn….

Being as he's up for a second round of charges, I believe he falls under the second part of "Fool me once, shame on you; fool me twice shame on me."
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
December 2nd, 2023 at 1:41:46 PM permalink
ams288
Threads: 29
Quote: SOOPOO
I used to think Fetterman was unfit to be a Senator. Now he’s BY FAR my favorite politician. He said of Menendez…. ‘He’s less popular than a cold sore’. Said his offenses are worse than Santos’s. The Republicans (finally) did their job in getting rid of Santos. It’s now the Democrats’ turn….

Unfathomable that they won’t kick him out. Most Dems said they would vote to expel. The GOP is mostly silent on the issue.

It’s not like it’s a big deal: the NJ gov can just name his replacement (although I do believe the gov’s wife is now running for Menendez’s seat).
“A straight man will not go for kids.” - AZDuffman
December 5th, 2023 at 7:21:28 PM permalink
rxwine
Quote:
Hyundai is investing $1.52 billion in a production facility in Ulsan, South Korea, dedicated to electric vehicles.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
December 6th, 2023 at 7:39:48 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Taylor Swift Time POTY.

On one hand, thankfully we must have had a quiet year. OTOH, you still questioning me that USA society is in collapse??
The President is a fink.
December 6th, 2023 at 7:56:26 AM permalink
rxwine
Maybe the editor of "Seventeen" is now editor of TIME? (That's the only teen magazine I can remember the name of.)

Pop Culture power.
December 6th, 2023 at 8:10:49 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Quote: rxwine
Maybe the editor of "Seventeen" is now editor of TIME? (That's the only teen magazine I can remember the name of.)

Pop Culture power.

I am proud to say I could not name a song of hers if my life depended on it. OTOH if I had known the secondary market for her tickets I would have tried to get a couple.
The President is a fink.
December 6th, 2023 at 8:30:37 AM permalink
Mission146
Administrator
Threads: 23
Quote: rxwine

Pop Culture power.

Taylor Swift legitimately cares about her fans, regardless of my personal feelings about her songs.

She called out Ticketmaster's failure to handle demand directly and possibly risked her business relationship with them.

Do you know how much Taylor Swift's tickets can fetch?

_______

Fill in the blank. That's how much they could get.

Yet, the face value of Taylor Swift tickets, for general admission, is often only in the double digits. Why? Because Taylor Swift cares about the people who are actually true fans of her having some hope of attending her performances. The resale value of these tickets is often in the high hundreds of dollars, if not the low four-figures, but Taylor Swift is powerless to do anything about that.

Still, if her fans are quick, they can often get General Admission for sub three figures; that's exactly how Taylor Swift wants it because, whatever else you want to say about her, she's a musician who appreciates her fans.

Person of the Year? Well, in 2023, when someone shows caring for their customers (which, essentially, is what fans are) over maximizing the bottom line, despite that maximizing that bottom line wouldn't strictly be wrong, sure...make her person of the year. They made that disgusting p.o.s., Donald Trump, the Person of the Year once, so why not Taylor?

Don't bother to comment on this unless you really want to, AZDuffman. You'll receive no response. I don't want to hear it.
"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen..let us give them all they want." William T. Sherman
December 6th, 2023 at 8:43:11 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Quote: Mission146
Taylor Swift legitimately cares about her fans, regardless of my personal feelings about her songs.

She called out Ticketmaster's failure to handle demand directly and possibly risked her business relationship with them.

Do you know how much Taylor Swift's tickets can fetch?

_______

Fill in the blank. That's how much they could get.

Yet, the face value of Taylor Swift tickets, for general admission, is often only in the double digits. Why? Because Taylor Swift cares about the people who are actually true fans of her having some hope of attending her performances. The resale value of these tickets is often in the high hundreds of dollars, if not the low four-figures, but Taylor Swift is powerless to do anything about that.

Still, if her fans are quick, they can often get General Admission for sub three figures; that's exactly how Taylor Swift wants it because, whatever else you want to say about her, she's a musician who appreciates her fans.

Person of the Year? Well, in 2023, when someone shows caring for their customers (which, essentially, is what fans are) over maximizing the bottom line, despite that maximizing that bottom line wouldn't strictly be wrong, sure...make her person of the year. They made that disgusting p.o.s., Donald Trump, the Person of the Year once, so why not Taylor?

Don't bother to comment on this unless you really want to, AZDuffman. You'll receive no response. I don't want to hear it.

She may well care about her fans. But POTY is supposed to be for a person who has made a large impact on society. A new POTUS almost automatically gets it. The computer got it, the planet got it. Those are the two inanimate recipients I remember. Groups have gotten it (metoo).

But....she is a singer. Yeah, a hugely popular one. But, really?
The President is a fink.
December 6th, 2023 at 8:52:00 AM permalink
ams288
Threads: 29
I’m not a Swiftie by any means, but is there any doubting that Taylor Swift is the absolute most popular celebrity on the planet right now?

The members of this site obviously don’t really fit in her demo, but you should see no issue with her being POTY.
“A straight man will not go for kids.” - AZDuffman
December 6th, 2023 at 8:56:11 AM permalink
Mission146
Administrator
Threads: 23
Quote: ams288
I’m not a Swiftie by any means, but is there any doubting that Taylor Swift is the absolute most popular celebrity on the planet right now?

The members of this site obviously don’t really fit in her demo, but you should see no issue with her being POTY.

Trump being the person of the year pretty much permanently devalued the title; I see Taylor as a huge upgrade, in comparison.
"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen..let us give them all they want." William T. Sherman