In the News II

December 26th, 2023 at 3:27:15 AM permalink
DoubleGold
Threads: 30
-----------

"Democrats are indeed making a bad name for Democracy, even Geno seems to agree."

-----------

I don't think GenoDRPH gave much thought to the name (nor reputation), such as the word Demon having the same or similar root.

Like Jacobin associated with Jacob.

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/Jacob
December 26th, 2023 at 4:48:23 AM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Quote: DoubleGold
Let me ask another way.

If I'm a Native American, do you think I should be liable for slavery?

It doesn't matter if you move to another country altogether and establish some degree of permeance on up to full citizenship. You can either accept the current agreements there or leave. If you want to know what's right, it's also true a nation should honor its agreements or not make them.

If you really want to make it complicated, we can try to decide if some agreement was made under less than honorable conditions and thereby try to nullify it.

In some cases we've made agreements that have specific time periods after which a period of time the agreement expires or something else happens. Like turning over control of the Panama canal. So, we know how to make specific agreements that specify a time limit.

I'd argue that it's probably almost universal that anyone today who might have to pay reparations won't like it at all. I'd also argue there's about a 100% chance that it will never get any real approval, ever. But that doesn't change my opinion about what was promised and what wasn't done.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
December 26th, 2023 at 4:58:12 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Let me ask another way.

If I'm a Native American, do you think I should be liable for slavery?

The Indians held lots of slaves and fought for the CSA.
The President is a fink.
December 26th, 2023 at 5:16:14 AM permalink
DoubleGold
In regards to the naming of an organization:

---------------

ChatGPT:

Hiding in plain sight refers to the act of concealing something or someone in a way that is not immediately noticeable, despite being in full view. It can involve blending in with one's surroundings or appearing to be an ordinary or unremarkable part of the environment. This concept is often used in espionage, where operatives may operate openly while concealing their true intentions or activities. In a broader sense, it can also refer to any situation where something is present or happening in a conspicuous manner, yet goes unnoticed by most people.

----------------

I'd imagine the root name was advertising at one point then later became intentionally suppressed.
December 26th, 2023 at 10:25:07 AM permalink
DoubleGold
Quote: AZDuffman
The Indians held lots of slaves and fought for the CSA.

I researched a little about that, and I was reminded of the "Branded" TV show. :)

But it depicted events after the Civil War.

Those natives during the Civil War would be liable to a degree, but not all natives (special group).

I also did a little additional research and the USA was supposedly knee deep before the Civil War.

Going by the GDP figures (not sure if they're accurate), the USA appears to have gotten an impressive growth boost as the result of slavery.

So I think there are two categories of liability.

One for the entire USA before the Civil War after 1776 (less special groups) and one beginning with the Civil War (Democrats).

But I'm sure the more I studied, the more I'd discover.

The thought of the Cannabis and Alcohol sectors entered my mind, with some special clauses to protect citizens in those businesses that are legal.

It would reduce the initial cash outlay I think.
December 26th, 2023 at 11:10:56 AM permalink
AZDuffman

Going by the GDP figures (not sure if they're accurate), the USA appears to have gotten an impressive growth boost as the result of slavery.

Misleading. The USA had an insatiable demand for labor as it grew. More than a few guys got drunk in bars and work up on ships to be indentured servants. But it was just having the labor, not that it was slave labor per se. Note that things boomed even more after the Civil War.
The President is a fink.
December 26th, 2023 at 12:13:21 PM permalink
DRich
Threads: 51
Misleading. The USA had an insatiable demand for labor as it grew. More than a few guys got drunk in bars and work up on ships to be indentured servants. But it was just having the labor, not that it was slave labor per se. Note that things boomed even more after the Civil War.

We are going to need more labor very soon as manufacturing in China is going away. Mexico has a great labor workforce that is educated and capable of manufacturing jobs so a lot of our business will be going there but we still need to get back to a modest level of manufacturing here.
At my age a Life In Prison sentence is not much of a detrrent.
December 26th, 2023 at 1:02:41 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Quote: DRich
We are going to need more labor very soon as manufacturing in China is going away. Mexico has a great labor workforce that is educated and capable of manufacturing jobs so a lot of our business will be going there but we still need to get back to a modest level of manufacturing here.

Mexico will pick some of it up as will Nigeria. Americans are not going to do that work for the most part. I wish we would, and we will on smaller scales.

The coming population collapse will change everything.
The President is a fink.
December 26th, 2023 at 2:52:23 PM permalink
DRich
Threads: 51
Mexico will pick some of it up as will Nigeria. Americans are not going to do that work for the most part. I wish we would, and we will on smaller scales.

The coming population collapse will change everything.

I agree that in general Americans don't want to do that work but will have to do a bare minimum to have the infrastructure in place in case we lose our global supply.
At my age a Life In Prison sentence is not much of a detrrent.
December 26th, 2023 at 4:19:28 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Quote: DRich
I agree that in general Americans don't want to do that work but will have to do a bare minimum to have the infrastructure in place in case we lose our global supply.

We will not put it in place and will lose it. Look at when Trump tried, he was accused of "starting a trade war." One day the dollar will collapse and we will lose it all.
The President is a fink.