In the News II

March 9th, 2024 at 3:16:11 AM permalink
odiousgambit
Threads: 154
I accuse the Wizard and Karen guilty of Slacktivism regarding International Women's Day!

JK, happened to come across the term
I'm Still Standing, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah [it's an old guy chant for me]
March 10th, 2024 at 5:03:43 AM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Drich, area gets a shout out.

Quote:
In Cape Coral, on Florida's west coast, flood insurance more than doubled in a year, from nearly $1,800 to $4,800, according to federal data cited by the Wall Street Journal.

Homeowners' association fees are rising as older buildings make needed upgrades.

The Surfside tragedy of 2021, when a 12-story condo building in Miami collapsed and claimed 98 lives, has caused many Florida buildings to initiate major renovation and safety projects. Fees called assessments are being levied on condo owners to pay for these updates to infrastructure, which can include redoing concrete, revising balcony safety, and other measures.

And all I can say to the second part, is not doing proper repair and maintenance is now likely costing everyone more.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
March 10th, 2024 at 5:15:47 AM permalink
RonC
Threads: 8
Quote: rxwine
And all I can say to the second part, is not doing proper repair and maintenance is now likely costing everyone more.

I don't know exactly how condo associations act but, if they are anything like HOA's I have seen, it is quite likely that some of the necessary repairs or inspections (deeper ones than inspections) were tabled or voted down. The one I worked with had people who wanted everything but wanted to pay nothing. Something as simple as getting the roads belonging to the HOA resurfaced after 25-30 years had to be the subject of a door-to-door campaign to get the votes.

With the tragedy striking them in the face, both the government and the associations had to take on these things. Tragedy often does that when we ignore things too long.

As far as the flood insurance, it is one minor reason, among many, that we decided not to move back to Florida. We are far enough from the coast here that we don't have that issue and Florida, to me, is all about being near the coast (within 5-10 miles at most) and not about living some place like Orlando. The coastal area was our home as kids and it is where we like to visit often.

Hurricane frequency was another little issue, of course!
March 10th, 2024 at 5:53:33 AM permalink
DRich
Threads: 51
Quote: RonC

Hurricane frequency was another little issue, of course!

It is not a bad as most people claim. I have lived here now for over two years and have only been hit by one devastating hurricane.
At my age a Life In Prison sentence is not much of a detrrent.
March 10th, 2024 at 6:45:33 AM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Quote: DRich
It is not a bad as most people claim. I have lived here now for over two years and have only been hit by one devastating hurricane.

Well, at least you get a year off.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
March 11th, 2024 at 3:52:00 AM permalink
odiousgambit
Threads: 154
70% of Chiefs-Dolphins fans who got frostbite at playoff game now facing amputation

perhaps that would be a worst case scenario but "even those lucky to escape amputation could face symptoms for the rest of their lives."

https://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2024/3/7/24093340/chiefs-dolphins-playoff-fans-amputation-nfl?fbclid=IwAR23Sngu9yv0_ID7ZE13WPYaR_dPuVy4gL-nlYyXl6hAaZNv_BPrWoN-0zE
I'm Still Standing, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah [it's an old guy chant for me]
March 11th, 2024 at 5:26:54 AM permalink
RonC
Threads: 8
Quote: odiousgambit
70% of Chiefs-Dolphins fans who got frostbite at playoff game now facing amputation

perhaps that would be a worst case scenario but "even those lucky to escape amputation could face symptoms for the rest of their lives."

https://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2024/3/7/24093340/chiefs-dolphins-playoff-fans-amputation-nfl?fbclid=IwAR23Sngu9yv0_ID7ZE13WPYaR_dPuVy4gL-nlYyXl6hAaZNv_BPrWoN-0zE

The headline is a little deceiving for a couple of reasons. There were many frostbite patients who did not get referred to the burn hospital and some of the treating institutions reported no amputations. There was also a record cold spell that lasted 11 days or so and there were people who worked outside during that time AND also went to to the game. Some of them really don't know when they suffered frostbite.

The people who did suffer frostbite who don't need amputations will face issues with the area frostbitten possibly for the rest of their lives. It is no joke; I just quibble with the "Blood Leads" type of headline.

Will lawsuits follow? "The NFL, Chiefs, Patrick Mahomes, Travis Kelsey, and Taylor Swift all were encouraging, at least by their presenting, participating, or planned attendance, their fans to attend the game that they had prior knowledge of presenting a danger to their lives and limbs."
March 11th, 2024 at 5:42:11 AM permalink
OnceDear
Threads: 11
Quote: DRich
Oh Drich, you are a wag.

That's a compliment, by the way, Old fashioned English.

"Wag
A humorous or droll person; a wit."
March 11th, 2024 at 5:17:34 PM permalink
SOOPOO
Threads: 22
Boeing whistleblower found dead of ‘self inflicted wounds’.

I for one am a bit skeptical….
March 11th, 2024 at 6:03:32 PM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Quote: RonC
The headline is a little deceiving for a couple of reasons. There were many frostbite patients who did not get referred to the burn hospital and some of the treating institutions reported no amputations. There was also a record cold spell that lasted 11 days or so and there were people who worked outside during that time AND also went to to the game. Some of them really don't know when they suffered frostbite.

The people who did suffer frostbite who don't need amputations will face issues with the area frostbitten possibly for the rest of their lives. It is no joke; I just quibble with the "Blood Leads" type of headline.

Will lawsuits follow? "The NFL, Chiefs, Patrick Mahomes, Travis Kelsey, and Taylor Swift all were encouraging, at least by their presenting, participating, or planned attendance, their fans to attend the game that they had prior knowledge of presenting a danger to their lives and limbs."

If it's too cold
Don't go
If you go, that's on you
No way I'm attending an event to view humans inflicting so much bodily harm, they injure their brain.
A brain is a terrible thing to waste
To waste a brain to participate in a contact sport is inconceivable to me
CTE is a lifetime affliction with no cure
And
It's completely preventable
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"