In the News II

March 26th, 2024 at 8:10:14 AM permalink
SOOPOO
Threads: 22
Quote: ams288
I’d like some of whatever you are smoking, please.

Forget the tongue in cheek second part. I think the ACOE will do this in less than 6 months? It will be a good talking point for Biden if he can get it done.
March 26th, 2024 at 8:32:06 AM permalink
GenoDRPh
Threads: 0
Quote: rxwine
I was wondering if bridge barriers are used to prevent boats which veer out of the channel are effective. Looks, like they might not have had them. Not sure yet.

Good for pleasure craft. But I;m not aware of any barrier capable of stopping a transoceanic freighter.
March 26th, 2024 at 9:18:14 AM permalink
ams288
Threads: 29
Quote: SOOPOO
Forget the tongue in cheek second part. I think the ACOE will do this in less than 6 months? It will be a good talking point for Biden if he can get it done.

My response was to the tongue in cheek part.

Saw this on Twitter:

Quote:
just for context: The 35W bridge collapsed over the Mississippi in Minnesota on Aug. 1, 2007.

The House voted Aug. 3 to spend $250 million to rebuild the bridge. The vote was 421-0.

It passed the Senate by unanimous consent after an amendment was adopted by unanimous consent. House adopted the new version by UC, as well.

The bill was signed into law by President Bush Aug. 6.
“A straight man will not go for kids.” - AZDuffman
March 26th, 2024 at 2:01:23 PM permalink
kenarman
Threads: 14

They won't get started within six months. Engineering and environmental assessment will take that long, let alone removing the old bridge.
"but if you make yourselves sheep, the wolves will eat you." Benjamin Franklin
March 26th, 2024 at 4:22:04 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
I was trying to think of what I would at least attempt to do if I was one of those workers on the bridge. Looks like they maybe had 3 seconds to do something. If you were anywhere away from the railing you would likely appear to be weightless, which means you likely couldn't do anything. When the bridge hits the water it's going to slam to a stop, and you're going to slam into it. As you'd likely be dead, severely injured and/or unconscious, even if it hung above the water a second more, you'd likely be in no condition to do anything.

OTOH, if you were near, or on the rail, it would probably be best to try to propel yourself away from the bridge hoping you could survive the fall into water and not be crushed or injured by the bridge.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
March 26th, 2024 at 5:44:09 PM permalink
DRich
Threads: 51
Apparently it’s a pretty important bridge for commerce. I expect it to be rebuilt post haste by the Army Corps of Engineers. Speaker Johnson will get the emergency funding bill passed. On page 286 there will be a codicil banning funding for transgender swimmers competing in their ‘non assigned’ gender.

I think the majority of commerce will be fine once they get the bridge pieces out of the water.
At my age a Life In Prison sentence is not much of a detrrent.
March 26th, 2024 at 8:42:13 PM permalink
rxwine
Oh how the mighty have fallen (mighty big mouth anyway)

Quote:
Mike Lindell’s MyPillow owes so much money in back rent that a judge allowed a landlord’s request on Tuesday to evict the company from a Minnesota warehouse, the Star Tribune reported. Four default notices were sent to MyPillow over the last six months, with the landlord of the Shakopee warehouse providing evidence in eviction court that the company owes more than $200,000 in unpaid rent and is behind on both February and March payments. “MyPillow has more or less vacated but we’d like to do this by the book,” Sara Filo, an attorney for Delaware-based landlord First Industrial, said at a hearing, according to the Star Tribune. “At this point there’s a representation that no further payment is going to be made under this lease, so we’d like to go ahead with finding a new tenant.” A representative for MyPillow was missing in court, and no comments were made to the Star Tribune by both Lindell and First Industrial attorneys. The eviction is the latest headache for Lindell, who claims his coffers have been drained as the die-hard Trump supporter continues to push the debunked theory that the 2020 election was rigged.

Seriously, maybe there is something wrong with the guy. He's literally ruined himself, or seems on the way with his obsession with supporting Trump.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
March 27th, 2024 at 6:04:03 AM permalink
Tanko
Threads: 0
Conspiracy theories begin.

Especially since the backup emergency power generator also failed soon after it kicked in.

Lara Logan calls it an 'absolutely brilliant strategic attack'

'Should have had a harbor pilot to pilot the boat. You are not supposed to traverse any obstacles without the harbor pilot.'

'They chose a full moon so they would have maximum tidal shift - rise and fall. Brisk flow in that river on a normal day & have had a lot of rain recently so water was already moving along at a good pace.'

'Compulsory pilotage is a requirement that certain vessels entering or leaving a port or waterway must use the services of a licensed pilot. The purpose of compulsory pilotage is to ensure the safe navigation of ships through difficult or dangerous waters, such as narrow channels, congested ports, or areas with strong currents or tides.'

https://twitter.com/laralogan/status/1772675651599770093
March 27th, 2024 at 6:21:22 AM permalink
ams288
Threads: 29
Quote: Tanko
Conspiracy theories begin.

Especially since the backup emergency power generator also failed soon after it kicked in.

Lara Logan calls it an 'absolutely brilliant strategic attack'

'Should have had a harbor pilot to pilot the boat. You are not supposed to traverse any obstacles without the harbor pilot.'

'They chose a full moon so they would have maximum tidal shift - rise and fall. Brisk flow in that river on a normal day & have had a lot of rain recently so water was already moving along at a good pace.'

'Compulsory pilotage is a requirement that certain vessels entering or leaving a port or waterway must use the services of a licensed pilot. The purpose of compulsory pilotage is to ensure the safe navigation of ships through difficult or dangerous waters, such as narrow channels, congested ports, or areas with strong currents or tides.'

https://twitter.com/laralogan/status/1772675651599770093

Lara Logan is a QAnon crazy. Why are you quoting her as if she has a valid viewpoint?
“A straight man will not go for kids.” - AZDuffman
March 27th, 2024 at 6:23:13 AM permalink
rxwine
Why would you have a terrorist attack at 1:27am during a weekday at such a low travel time?