In the News II

May 2nd, 2023 at 12:36:41 PM permalink
DoubleGold
Threads: 30
Quote: Mission146
I've only read the first couple of pages of that, but this is just all going to be stuff they want preserved for the purposes of appeal. I will say that the defense attorney needs to get better at asking pointed questions as he is allowing the judge...who seems somewhat biased toward the Plaintiff...to sustain Plaintiff's objections simply due to the questions being poorly worded.

One example of that is asking whether Plaintiff brought charges, which Plaintiff cannot actually do, rather than asking if the Plaintiff went to the police to see if they would bring charges.

I assume Defendant's attorney started with the strongest point, which is whether or not Plaintiff ever attempted to get the security footage that would be needed to evidence that Plaintiff and Trump WERE EVEN IN THE SAME PLACE THAT DAY, much less whether or not they had sex.

Anyway, I think the relevant information about the surveillance footage questioning would do well on appeal. I would hope that we're not at the point where juries are findinbg in favor of Plaintiffs based on their words that something happened thirty-odd years ago and absolutely no other supporting evidence that would even put two people in the same place.

I think rejecting the mistrial was to even the playing field to give the plaintiff a better chance in fairness.

In other words, she was losing.
May 2nd, 2023 at 12:48:36 PM permalink
DoubleGold
Oil futures off over 5% today.

Likely economic weakness.

During a war, they should rise higher than they were before the war.

Especially with Taiwan on deck.

Maybe we can fill the strategic reserves soon.
May 2nd, 2023 at 12:52:04 PM permalink
DRich
Threads: 51
Quote: kenarman
The US is in the middle of the pack as far as 2023 inflation rate at 8.05%. About 90 countries lower and the same at a higher rate, hardly a reason to claim it was beyond his control.

I saw a report this morning that it looks like inflation is down to about 5% this month.
At my age a Life In Prison sentence is not much of a detrrent.
May 2nd, 2023 at 1:28:00 PM permalink
Mission146
Administrator
Threads: 23
Quote: DoubleGold
I think rejecting the mistrial was to even the playing field to give the plaintiff a better chance in fairness.

In other words, she was losing.

I would imagine she was losing, but if she wins, the issues noted in the request for mistrial are doubly preserved for appeal.

I would assume that they've gone through the whole repertoire of a Motion to Dismiss, Motion for Summary Judgment, etc...on the Defendant's side of things, so that means that the judge feels there is enough there for a trial. There's really no reason to declare a mistrial at this time when you've already gone this far with it.
"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen..let us give them all they want." William T. Sherman
May 2nd, 2023 at 3:18:52 PM permalink
Tanko
Threads: 0
Quote: DRich
I saw a report this morning that it looks like inflation is down to about 5% this month.

The new I-Bond rate is 4.5%.
May 2nd, 2023 at 3:41:26 PM permalink
DRich
Quote: Tanko
The new I-Bond rate is 4.5%.

I saw that but I don't think it goes into effect until next month. My new savings account is paying 4.75% and has no length of deposit requirements.
May 2nd, 2023 at 3:43:24 PM permalink
Tanko
Threads: 0
Quote: kenarman
The fact that the war has contributed to inflation in the US has nothing to do with how poorly Biden has handled it.

How should he have handled it?

On inflation:

The war caused an initial spike in inflation due to the surge in energy costs, which have since come down. Commodity prices today, are substantially lower across the board, than they were months before the war began. Oil is $24 less per barrel than it was the day the war started.

'Contradicting Biden, Fed Reserve chairman says Ukraine war not primary inflation cause'

Inflation today is the result of government and Central Bank policy.
May 2nd, 2023 at 3:46:51 PM permalink
DoubleGold
Quote: Mission146
I would imagine she was losing, but if she wins, the issues noted in the request for mistrial are doubly preserved for appeal.

I would assume that they've gone through the whole repertoire of a Motion to Dismiss, Motion for Summary Judgment, etc...on the Defendant's side of things, so that means that the judge feels there is enough there for a trial. There's really no reason to declare a mistrial at this time when you've already gone this far with it.

I just saw Trump give a speech on Forbes video, and he didn't seem concerned at all.

He was talking about DEI and education, how he is going to try to remove all the DEI.
May 2nd, 2023 at 5:00:09 PM permalink
DRich

On inflation:

The war caused an initial spike in inflation due to the surge in energy costs, which have since come down. Commodity prices today, are substantially lower across the board, than they were months before the war began. Oil is $24 less per barrel than it was the day the war started.

'Contradicting Biden, Fed Reserve chairman says Ukraine war not primary inflation cause'

The war is probably less than 1% of the cause of inflation. Inflations main cause was all of the money given out during Covid.
May 2nd, 2023 at 5:47:30 PM permalink
kenarman
Threads: 14
Quote: DRich

On inflation:

The war is probably less than 1% of the cause of inflation. Inflations main cause was all of the money given out during Covid.

The bigger error was that the Biden administration down played it by calling it transitory and people and business' believed the government and didn't take steps to protect themselves. Even the Fed was slow to start the interest rate increases. Did Biden down play inflation because of last years elections, nah what responsible President would ever do that.
"but if you make yourselves sheep, the wolves will eat you." Benjamin Franklin