In the News II

June 22nd, 2023 at 9:26:12 AM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Quote:
The Federal Trade Commission is suing Amazon for enrolling customers in its Prime program without their consent and making it difficult for them to cancel their subscriptions.

In its complaint filed Wednesday, the FTC accuses Amazon of “knowingly” deceiving millions of customers into subscribing to Amazon Prime through the use of “dark patterns.” Specifically, the FTC describes how Amazon’s checkout process would allegedly present customers several options to subscribe to Prime, making it difficult to locate the option to simply finish a purchase. The commission also alleges that Amazon required customers to go through multiple unnecessary steps before successfully unsubscribing from the program.

“Amazon tricked and trapped people into recurring subscriptions without their consent, not only frustrating users but also costing them significant money,” FTC Chair Lina Khan said in a statement Wednesday. “These manipulative tactics harm consumers and law-abiding businesses alike.

Much of Wednesday’s complaint is still redacted, but the FTC said that it describes several opportunities Amazon had to prevent these allegedly coercive enrollments but chose not to make the changes.

In a statement to The Verge, Amazon spokesperson Heather Layman said “The FTC’s claims are false on the facts and the law. The truth is that customers love Prime, and by design we make it clear and simple for customers to both sign up for or cancel their Prime membership.”
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
June 22nd, 2023 at 9:29:30 AM permalink
DoubleGold
Threads: 30
Quote: missedhervee
A soldier and his girl friend went to an electronic music festival at George in the gorge and after taking magic mushrooms he decided the world was ending so he started shooting people.

I don''t see this helping the chances of decriminalizing the use of magic mushrooms.

It'll reduce alcohol consumption, which could be considered safer.

But it'll likely fail because it tends to compete with Big Pharma.
June 22nd, 2023 at 9:48:58 AM permalink
ams288
Threads: 29
Sub story may be reaching its foregone conclusion.

https://apnews.com/article/missing-titanic-submersible-updates-6255308420cb542fab287224c3e9b1c1

Quote:
The search for a missing submersible with five people aboard took a bleak turn Thursday when the U.S. Coast Guard said a debris field was found at the bottom of the ocean near the Titanic, an announcement that came after the critical 96-hour mark when breathable air could have run out.
“A straight man will not go for kids.” - AZDuffman
June 22nd, 2023 at 10:02:03 AM permalink
DoubleGold
Threads: 30
With Amazon Prime, I watched an older movie (2014) with Kevin Costner in it called Draft Day last evening.

I liked it because it involved trading NFL draft picks several times before the timer ran out on a team's time allotment to decide.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt2223990

I did quit watching the NFL when it became politicized during BLM.

They'll never get me back.

However, if Amazon Prime continues to post woke movies like a cheer-leading megaphone, I'll cancel Prime.

So good to know the cancel mechanism works properly.
June 22nd, 2023 at 11:32:48 AM permalink
rxwine
Debris field has been confirmed as sub. 500 meters from Titanic
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
June 22nd, 2023 at 12:46:42 PM permalink
Tanko
Threads: 0
Quote: Tanko
Titan most likely imploded.

Coast Guard says men died instantly in 'catastrophic implosion'

Russian submersible visits Titanic in 2000. Gets stuck for thirty minutes.
June 22nd, 2023 at 12:50:45 PM permalink
ams288
Threads: 29

At least they didn’t suffer.
“A straight man will not go for kids.” - AZDuffman
June 22nd, 2023 at 1:59:21 PM permalink
rxwine

Since there are known standards and testing for such a structure seems more like an inexcusable accident. If you end up killing yourself in an experimental craft that isn’t well tested yet, that’d be different I think. Although if your paying passengers want to agree to bunch of disclaimers maybe it’s okay to have paying passengers.
June 22nd, 2023 at 4:31:52 PM permalink
missedhervee
Threads: 96
It seems that the US Navy heard and was aware of the implosion but said nothing.

They have an array of secret devices to detect submarines, and that is what detected it.

Why did they let the family suffer and sent the world on a friggin' wild goose chase?

They should have made it known immediately.

https://news.yahoo.com/navy-first-detected-titan-subs-221226319.html
June 22nd, 2023 at 4:42:13 PM permalink
Gandler
Threads: 27
Quote: missedhervee
It seems that the US Navy heard and was aware of the implosion but said nothing.

They have an array of secret devices to detect submarines, and that is what detected it.

Why did they let the family suffer and sent the world on a friggin' wild goose chase?

They should have made it known immediately.

https://news.yahoo.com/navy-first-detected-titan-subs-221226319.html

My guess is the, "top secret acoustic detection" part. They probably need to delay information to not let people know the location or range of certain things.

My understanding is the Coast Guard was leading the search, and the CG is very close to the Navy so I am sure they knew, but they had to play along. It is sad, but it is the same concept as somebody dying in the military and their death having to be covered up for weeks or months to preserve an operation, it just is the reality when doing such operations.

It is not like the Navy delayed releasing information that could have saved their lives. The event was over, it was just a matter of stating their data. But, the Navy is odd, they have a lot of very sensitive stuff that needs to float for days to be safe again, so it can take time for such things.