Google: People Also Ask

July 6th, 2023 at 12:02:30 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Quote: odiousgambit
I have a new app on my phone that identifies plants by using the camera on the phone. The box elders volunteering in areas I'm no longer mowing were a mystery till now

>>>

why is it called box elder?

Presumably, early American settlers who were familiar with elders back in England saw a similarity in their foliage. And its wood is said to be whitish like that of an Old World evergreen shrub called the common box. Hence, the box elder.

I looked at one of thise apps awhile back. But it wasn't free, and I didn't really need it for anything that I really needed so didn't end up paying.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
July 6th, 2023 at 12:16:46 PM permalink
odiousgambit
Threads: 154
I was supposed to be notified that my free trial was over, I planned to decide to continue then or not. No notification yet, and I think it is way overdue

probably will just find out I was charged ... haven't seen that though
I'm Still Standing, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah [it's an old guy chant for me]
July 7th, 2023 at 5:48:02 AM permalink
odiousgambit
i got in an argument with somebody about whether sardines were small herring. It was friendly!

seems complicated to me now and the experts give different answers

>>>

herring vs sardines vs anchovies

They're different species that live in different places.
Sardines are purely a saltwater fish, while anchovies have some freshwater varieties and those that live in brackish water. Sardines are actually more closely related to herring in the fish world and can sometimes be referred to as herring or sprat.

___

Are herring and sardines the same thing?

Herring or Sardines? - Ask Dr. Weil
In fact, “sardine” means “small fish.” (The fish in question were named after Sardinia, the second largest island in the Mediterranean, because they used to be plentiful in this region.) When they're young and small, these fish are called sardines. When they get older and bigger, they're called herring.
July 7th, 2023 at 6:12:19 AM permalink
rxwine
i got in an argument with somebody about whether sardines were small herring. It was friendly!

seems complicated to me now and the experts give different answers

>>>

herring vs sardines vs anchovies

They're different species that live in different places.
Sardines are purely a saltwater fish, while anchovies have some freshwater varieties and those that live in brackish water. Sardines are actually more closely related to herring in the fish world and can sometimes be referred to as herring or sprat.

___

Are herring and sardines the same thing?

Herring or Sardines? - Ask Dr. Weil
In fact, “sardine” means “small fish.” (The fish in question were named after Sardinia, the second largest island in the Mediterranean, because they used to be plentiful in this region.) When they're young and small, these fish are called sardines. When they get older and bigger, they're called herring.

Crawfish or crawdads? I know the answer.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
July 7th, 2023 at 8:07:15 AM permalink
odiousgambit
or crayfish?

or, googled,

écrevisse
Another term you may be familiar with is écrevisse; this term was used by our French ancestors and is still used by some traditional Cajuns today. One thing is for sure, no matter if you call them, craw fish, écrevisse, crayfish crawfish, crawdads or just mud bugs, we love them!
July 7th, 2023 at 8:10:19 AM permalink
odiousgambit
July 7th, 2023 at 8:13:06 AM permalink
DRich
Threads: 51
or crayfish?

or, googled,

écrevisse
Another term you may be familiar with is écrevisse; this term was used by our French ancestors and is still used by some traditional Cajuns today. One thing is for sure, no matter if you call them, craw fish, écrevisse, crayfish crawfish, crawdads or just mud bugs, we love them!

I love eating the tail meat but I don't know that it is worth the effort tode-shell them myself. Now I just buy frozen bags of the tail meat.

The first time I had crawfish waas in Louisiana on a fishing trip. We stopped at a little gas station / bait store to get our fishing licenses and bait. As we were checking out the lady asks if we want crawfish, I said sure we will try some. I thought we were buying bait, not a meal. I was surprised when she brought out a steaming bucket and poured it on the table.
At my age a Life In Prison sentence is not much of a detrrent.
July 7th, 2023 at 8:44:43 AM permalink
rxwine
Quote: DRich
I love eating the tail meat but I don't know that it is worth the effort tode-shell them myself. Now I just buy frozen bags of the tail meat.

The first time I had crawfish waas in Louisiana on a fishing trip. We stopped at a little gas station / bait store to get our fishing licenses and bait. As we were checking out the lady asks if we want crawfish, I said sure we will try some. I thought we were buying bait, not a meal. I was surprised when she brought out a steaming bucket and poured it on the table.

Better than the opposite mistake where you mistake the bait for food.
July 7th, 2023 at 9:16:39 AM permalink
odiousgambit
where I grew up first years of my life, crawdads were all over the place just down the hill. Some got quite large compared to what I've seen served. I'm pretty sure nobody ate them though they must have been used for bait. You'd see these mud columns they build where they would go in and out of water near groundlevel
July 7th, 2023 at 11:30:55 AM permalink
DRich
Threads: 51
Quote: rxwine
Better than the opposite mistake where you mistake the bait for food.

I still find it ironic in Florida we use shrimp as bait to catch fish while most people would prefer to eat the shrimp.
At my age a Life In Prison sentence is not much of a detrrent.