Google: People Also Ask

January 14th, 2024 at 6:53:10 AM permalink
odiousgambit
Threads: 154
saw a reference to how the word Germany came about, that suggested there is a connection to germination. I knew this was wrong, but it the context it could have been a joke

>>>

The English word Germany derives from the Latin Germania, which came into use after Julius Caesar adopted it for the peoples east of the Rhine.
__

Why is it called Germany?

The root of the name is from the Gauls, who called the tribe across the river the Germani, which might have meant "men of the forest" or possibly "neighbor." The Old High German word "diutisc," meaning "belonging to the people" or "popular," served as the basis for the English phrase "Germany."
__

Why do we say Germany and not Deutschland?

When the country came about, different languages chose names that were associated with one of the original tribes, and just happened to pick differently. So, "Germany" came from the Latin "Germania", "Allemagne" from the Alemanni tribe, and "Deutschland" from the old High German word "diutisc" meaning "of the people"
I'm Still Standing, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah [it's an old guy chant for me]
January 14th, 2024 at 7:27:37 AM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Do you know who first named "America" "America"? And if you do, can you spell his last name without looking it up. Extra 100 points for spelling. 1 point for knowing.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
January 14th, 2024 at 8:24:46 AM permalink
GenoDRPh
Threads: 0
Quote: rxwine
Do you know who first named "America" "America"? And if you do, can you spell his last name without looking it up. Extra 100 points for spelling. 1 point for knowing.

Was it the German mapmaker Waldsmuller, or some such name?
January 14th, 2024 at 9:20:51 AM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Quote: GenoDRPh
Was it the German mapmaker Waldsmuller, or some such name?

``
`
`
`
`
Ding ding! correct. If that is an English spelling then it may count, Not sure.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
January 14th, 2024 at 11:07:21 AM permalink
odiousgambit
Threads: 154
I would say that was in the category of "let me have a trivia contest to show off what I know" [being too hard]. Wizard likes those too.

I *would* say that, before Geno got it, of course we are trusting he didn't look it up
I'm Still Standing, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah [it's an old guy chant for me]
January 14th, 2024 at 11:14:40 AM permalink
DoubleGold
Threads: 30
That's what they want you to believe, meaning, there was not a name "America" before the birth of that person.

The Atlanteans likely named her America.

But there's evidence of entities here since about 2 billion years ago.
January 14th, 2024 at 11:52:03 AM permalink
GenoDRPh
Quote: odiousgambit
I would say that was in the category of "let me have a trivia contest to show off what I know" [being too hard]. Wizard likes those too.

I *would* say that, before Geno got it, of course we are trusting he didn't look it up

The geological, natural and early history of the Americas is a hobby of mine, and the exploits of Amerigo and how the Americas came to be named the "Americas" has been a topic of research of mine. So it just so happens that I just happened to know the answer.
January 14th, 2024 at 11:52:41 AM permalink
GenoDRPh
Quote: DoubleGold
That's what they want you to believe, meaning, there was not a name "America" before the birth of that person.

The Atlanteans likely named her America.

But there's evidence of entities here since about 2 billion years ago.

If you count single celled organisms, you would be correct.
January 14th, 2024 at 11:57:27 AM permalink
DoubleGold
Threads: 30
Quote: GenoDRPh
If you count single celled organisms, you would be correct.

The information is out there.

If you research, try to bypass every book in every university and every MSM article.

Forget everything you were taught.

I don't think you'll do it because it could upset you.

But you can do it if you want to.
January 14th, 2024 at 12:30:28 PM permalink
GenoDRPh
Quote: DoubleGold
The information is out there.

If you research, try to bypass every book in every university and every MSM article.

Forget everything you were taught.

I don't think you'll do it because it could upset you.

But you can do it if you want to.

I won't do it because it's poppycock.