Google: People Also Ask

December 31st, 2023 at 2:51:14 AM permalink
odiousgambit
Threads: 154
Below it says "too many investors were trading in their money for gold". Maybe so, but note that Executive Order 6102 came first in 1933 before the Gold Reserve Act of 1934 and FDR raising the price of gold from @$21 to $35 by just declaring that's what it was, and oh btw we Feds have all of it. So "why couldn't people own gold in the 1930s US?" Maybe the answer should be "because then all kinds of people would have become rich, not just the Feds". Otherwise, everyone did benefit, is the claim. Otherwise.

>>>

why couldn't people own gold in the 1930s US?

The system came under more and more pressure because too many investors were trading in their money for gold. One way for the US to take enough control of monetary policy to print more money was to impose various capital controls, including seizing gold
__

The passage of the Gold Reserve Act of 1934 signified that the American people could no longer hold gold, with the exception of jewelry and collectors' coins. After the passage of the Gold Reserve Act several people were indicted for violating the clauses that restricted gold ownership and trade
__

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gold_Reserve_Act ... A year earlier [than the Gold Reserve Act of 1934], in 1933, Executive Order 6102 had made it a criminal offense for U.S. citizens to own or trade gold anywhere in the world, with exceptions for some jewelry and collector's coins... Immediately following passage of the Act, the President, Franklin D. Roosevelt, changed the statutory price of gold from $20.67 per troy ounce to $35. This price change incentivized gold miners globally to expand production and foreigners to export their gold to the United States, while simultaneously devaluing the U.S. dollar by increasing inflation... The increase in gold reserves increased the money supply, lowering real interest rates which in turn increased investment in durable goods.

[same link]These prohibitions were relaxed starting in 1964 – gold certificates were again allowed for private investors on April 24, 1964, although the obligation to pay the certificate holder on demand in gold specie would not be honored. By 1975, Americans could again freely own and trade gold
I'm Still Standing, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah [it's an old guy chant for me]
January 4th, 2024 at 4:00:45 AM permalink
odiousgambit
just FYI ... present company excluded I'm sure

>>>

What is deflecting in an argument?

Deflection is often used in arguments as a way to shift focus away from oneself and onto another person or issue. People commonly divert the pressure from themselves by changing the subject, pointing out someone else's flaws or presenting unrelated information to distract from the main issue at hand.Jun 15, 2023

Understanding Deflection in Psychology and Effective Ways to ...
Manhattan Mental Health Counseling
https://manhattanmentalhealthcounseling.com
__

Is deflection a form of gaslighting?

Gaslighting:2 Deflection can be a form of gaslighting, because it attempts to distort reality. Narcissistic abuse:3. Deflection could also be a form of narcissistic abuse. A person with narcissistic traits may go to any lengths to seem as perfect as possible, including criticizing others who give them negative feedback
__

What do you call someone who argues with everything you say?

There are a plethora of words used to describe someone who is quick to oppose/argue/fight the opinions of others, such as: argumentative, combative, hostile, antagonistic, volatile, pugnacious, bellicose, ornery, confrontational, quarrelsome, contentious
__
January 4th, 2024 at 4:45:53 AM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Quote: odiousgambit
just FYI ... present company excluded I'm sure

>>>

What is deflecting in an argument?

Deflection is often used in arguments as a way to shift focus away from oneself and onto another person or issue. People commonly divert the pressure from themselves by changing the subject, pointing out someone else's flaws or presenting unrelated information to distract from the main issue at hand.Jun 15, 2023

Understanding Deflection in Psychology and Effective Ways to ...
Manhattan Mental Health Counseling
https://manhattanmentalhealthcounseling.com
__

Is deflection a form of gaslighting?

Gaslighting:2 Deflection can be a form of gaslighting, because it attempts to distort reality. Narcissistic abuse:3. Deflection could also be a form of narcissistic abuse. A person with narcissistic traits may go to any lengths to seem as perfect as possible, including criticizing others who give them negative feedback
__

What do you call someone who argues with everything you say?

There are a plethora of words used to describe someone who is quick to oppose/argue/fight the opinions of others, such as: argumentative, combative, hostile, antagonistic, volatile, pugnacious, bellicose, ornery, confrontational, quarrelsome, contentious
__

Argue with everything you say?

Exaggeration is the art of making mountains out of molehills, and then skiing down them. Inflating the ordinary to extraordinary proportions. It’s the magnifying glass that transforms an ant into an elephant, and a puddle into an ocean.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
January 4th, 2024 at 6:07:03 AM permalink
odiousgambit
Quote: rxwine
Exaggeration is the art of making mountains out of molehills, and then skiing down them. Inflating the ordinary to extraordinary proportions. It’s the magnifying glass that transforms an ant into an elephant, and a puddle into an ocean.

Now your gaslighting me. JK!
January 4th, 2024 at 2:56:27 PM permalink
rxwine
Vermont has changed its law to let people from other states kill themselves with prescriptions of appropriate medical drugs. I'm doing you a favor, so you know what's up if any of those people trying to snuff you offer you a free "vacation" in Vermont.

Study the itinerary carefully.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
January 5th, 2024 at 5:28:52 AM permalink
odiousgambit
Vermont has changed its law to let people from other states kill themselves with prescriptions of appropriate medical drugs. I'm doing you a favor, so you know what's up if any of those people trying to snuff you offer you a free "vacation" in Vermont.

Study the itinerary carefully.
I can see, though, how your mind works heh heh
January 5th, 2024 at 5:33:55 AM permalink
odiousgambit
saw recently that their is a claim that switching jobs is a way to increase your income. I think the idea is "in times of labor shortage in your field" which should be mentioned, and also, it should be mentioned that it's a great time to make a terrible mistake. I advise caution

>>>

Does changing jobs increase salary?

According to research by Zippia, the average salary increase for those who switch jobs is 14.8%, and those who stay in a job for more than two years tend to make less. While salary is a big factor to consider when switching jobs, it isn't the only one; you shouldn't switch jobs quickly, solely for a salary increase
__

Why do new hires get paid more?

This means that the market rate for a particular role may have risen since the current employee was hired. Second, new hires may bring in skills, experiences, or qualifications that are in high demand or are rare in the market, leading the company to offer a higher salary to attract and retain top talent
January 5th, 2024 at 11:07:50 AM permalink
rxwine
High on the hog

An allusion to the best and costliest cuts of meat from a hog, considered to be parts above the belly such as the loin, rather than lower parts such as the feet, knuckles, hocks, belly, and jowls. US, late 1800s; popularized 1940s.
January 6th, 2024 at 2:43:22 AM permalink
odiousgambit
High on the hog

An allusion to the best and costliest cuts of meat from a hog, considered to be parts above the belly such as the loin, rather than lower parts such as the feet, knuckles, hocks, belly, and jowls. US, late 1800s; popularized 1940s.
............. the same person who would use this phrase would also use another a lot, my comments in brackets,

Quote:
... for everyone who talks about sitting in high cotton [never heard that used, I suspect it is the cleaned up version], there is someone else who talks about shitting in high cotton [heard this plenty, usually 'tall cotton']. Apparently, according to some theories, slaves who were in the field all day picking cotton would relieve themselves among the tallest plants, and use the biggest, fluffiest bolls they could find to wipe themselves afterward; also sometimes referred to as “shittin’ in high cotton and wipin’ on the top leaf.” What a lovely image.
https://www.tumblr.com/thewordwideweb/151470126614/sittin-in-high-cotton
January 6th, 2024 at 4:34:44 AM permalink
rxwine
So, don't "eat your hat" until you washed it, I guess. (100% cotton)

Charles Dickens first used the expression in The Pickwick Papers in 1837: “If I knew as little of life as that, I'd eat my hat and swallow the buckle whole."

The buckle part dropped from that expression. Reminds me of the buckle on the Pilgrim's hat. Do you suppose they kept an extra belt there for their pants?