Google: People Also Ask

January 7th, 2024 at 6:36:38 AM permalink
odiousgambit
Threads: 154
The matter of doing something like using very hot water to sanitize household dishes is, in my opinion [you may disagree], way over-rated. Mostly, you just want to get them clean. Yes, that doesn't kill all the germs, but any surviving germs are not going to harm you. Any that could are going to find their way to your food, so you can't benefit from longer storage ability in the fridge or something. Of course I am assuming your household isn't struck with something like cholera.

If you google this sort of thing, though, there is nothing but scare tactics. The below from Clorox is typical.

>>>

Washing dishes can eliminate visible dirt, but it's not enough to kill bacteria like salmonella. To sanitize dishes and food containers, rinse them with a bleach and water solution after washing.
I'm Still Standing, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah [it's an old guy chant for me]
January 7th, 2024 at 7:27:52 AM permalink
kenarman
Threads: 14
Quote: odiousgambit
The matter of doing something like using very hot water to sanitize household dishes is, in my opinion [you may disagree], way over-rated. Mostly, you just want to get them clean. Yes, that doesn't kill all the germs, but any surviving germs are not going to harm you. Any that could are going to find their way to your food, so you can't benefit from longer storage ability in the fridge or something. Of course I am assuming your household isn't struck with something like cholera.

If you google this sort of thing, though, there is nothing but scare tactics. The below from Clorox is typical.

>>>

Washing dishes can eliminate visible dirt, but it's not enough to kill bacteria like salmonella. To sanitize dishes and food containers, rinse them with a bleach and water solution after washing.

It is probably over the top for residential but that is the rules for commercial kitchen dish and glass washers. They have a final rinse of an antiviral agent after the wash cycle. The level of the agent must be tested on a regular basis to make sure it is doing its job.
"but if you make yourselves sheep, the wolves will eat you." Benjamin Franklin
January 7th, 2024 at 7:53:22 AM permalink
odiousgambit
Quote: kenarman

It is probably over the top for residential but that is the rules for commercial kitchen dish and glass washers. They have a final rinse of an antiviral agent after the wash cycle. The level of the agent must be tested on a regular basis to make sure it is doing its job.
I can see that being necessary somewhat

personally, I think there are billion dollar industries out there very dependent on scaring housewives about germs
January 7th, 2024 at 6:46:39 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
I don't know that I've heard a live version of someone saying, "I'll fix your wagon." since my parents used it.

Quote:
This term uses fix in the sense of “punish someone” or “put someone in an awkward position,” a usage dating from about 1800. The wagon was added in the 1900s, presumably making the phrase refer to putting sand in a wagon axle or similar sabotage.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
January 8th, 2024 at 5:40:15 AM permalink
odiousgambit
the wife filled me in with something that is going on with a friend of hers. An incredible amount of detail was included. I'd estimate the length of time it would have taken to tell me what she wanted to relate, in harmony with my interest level, would have been about 1 minute. No exaggeration there. Didn't time it, but it was more like 5 minutes, interrupting what I was doing too, which makes it worse.

It seems it's an area where there is less pushback in the way of "oh, it's sexist to say that"

>>>

Why do some women talk excessively?

Until recently, we couldn't biologically explain why women's brains were more active with speech and communication. New Journal of Neuroscience findings show that a protein called FOXP2 produces speech. Researchers find 30% more FOXP2 in the brains of girls. This protein is a key molecule for communication in mammals.
__

Why do women speak more than men?

Women's language is driven by a desire to engage the other party in a conversation. By contrast, men seek to inform and signal status. From a woman's perspective, the length for which she speaks makes sense given this goal. Men don't see it this way.
__

How do you shut up someone who talks too much?

One approach is to politely and assertively communicate your need for space or time to speak. You can say something like, "I appreciate your input, and I'd like to share my thoughts as well." It's important to address the issue with empathy and respect for the other person's feelings.
__

Which gender talks more?

In The Female Brain, published in 2006, Louann Brizendine, M.D. claimed that women say about 20,000 words a day, while men say about 7,000
January 8th, 2024 at 10:08:34 AM permalink
rxwine
When I was recently driving through Tampa, one of the talk radio shows (Mike Calta) got a guy on the phone who was witness to a beating and robbery.

It was one of the most painful to listen to descriptions I've heard and not because it was awful. The guy had peeked in the office window of the store office, where two female clerks were being pistol whipped to make them open the safe. I don't recall if they could even open the safe, but one of robbers got caught a little while later.

Calta kept trying to get the guy to move along but the guy kept explaining the tiniest detail. After a few minutes it was pure torture.

To give a proper idea, here's an approximate paraphrase. "I walked to the window. It was about 10 feet away. I had my phone in my pocket. When I got to the window, I paused for a few seconds. There weren't any other customers around. I had come from the far register. I saw the clock on the way, but didn't see the time. So, anyway, I was just under the window. It was a few seconds like I said. The police weren't there yet. A moment later, I was going to peek in. Now I was about to peek in. I peek in. On the left hand side of the office was an empty chair.

(It was about that bad.)
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
January 10th, 2024 at 3:40:03 AM permalink
odiousgambit
Not commonly known, perhaps, European armies were still using a lot of horses throughout WW2

You might think the Germans were the exception what with all the images we see of Blitzkrieg and all that? But no, they were very dependent on horses. The facts of modern war had them using little or no cavalry, but for their artillery, horses were heavily used. Some historians have posed the horse usage as one reason for ultimate failure vs the USSR, but the latter also used horses heavily

>>>

how many horses used WW2?

Over the course of the war, Germany (2.75 million) and the Soviet Union (3.5 million) together employed more than six million horses.
__

The German Army entered World War II with 514,000 horses, and over the course of the war employed, in total, 2.75 million horses and mules; the average number of horses in the Army reached 1.1 million.
__

The WWII German Army was 80% Horse Drawn
ZDNet
https://www.zdnet.com › Business › Executive
Dec 6, 2008 — Not many people know that the greatest use of horses in any military conflict in history was by the Germans in WWII
January 11th, 2024 at 6:43:05 AM permalink
odiousgambit
how can you date lead artifacts?

Reich's method makes use of the fact that lead corrodes very slowly and that the products of corrosion accumulate on its surface (since they don't easily dissolve in water). Finding out how much corrosion has developed will give a good indication of how old the lead is
January 11th, 2024 at 8:44:30 AM permalink
rxwine
Quote: odiousgambit
how can you date lead artifacts?

Reich's method makes use of the fact that lead corrodes very slowly and that the products of corrosion accumulate on its surface (since they don't easily dissolve in water). Finding out how much corrosion has developed will give a good indication of how old the lead is

Probably impurities, or nearby artifacts as well
January 12th, 2024 at 4:42:11 AM permalink
odiousgambit
Near me there is a lot of national forest, but also what they call wilderness areas, which seem to be part of the national forest. The below makes sense to me, plus I will say I think they allow too much commercial logging in the national forests, I wish more was designated wilderness

>>>

Widerness vs National Forest?

National Forests use minimal regulation to keep the environment in as good of condition as possible. Wilderness Areas require rules to maintain an untouched condition
__

What is the difference between wild forest and wilderness?

[APSLMP] A wild forest area is an area where the resources permit a somewhat higher degree of human use than in wilderness, primitive or canoe areas, while retaining an essentially wild character.