Google: People Also Ask

March 18th, 2024 at 2:28:34 AM permalink
odiousgambit
Threads: 154
Quote: DRich
I believe Somalia is still having a civil war.

What is the reason of Somalia civil war?
Somali civil war (2009–present) - Wikipedia
The armed conflict between Hizbul Islam and al-Shabaab began due to a dispute between the faction of the Ras Kamboni Brigades led by Sheikh Ahmed "Madoobe" and al-Shabaab, over a power sharing agreement in Kisimayo. [if you got to the wikipedia page you can click on a bunch of those terms, good luck]
I'm Still Standing, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah [it's an old guy chant for me]
March 19th, 2024 at 2:34:48 AM permalink
odiousgambit
If you google "why is it that objects fall at the same rate?" the answer you get is usually "just because" ... at least from the little explanation that comes up, maybe some of these links do better if you dive into them.

The first example is the typical "just because" type and the next one is one of the few that really explains

>>>

Earth pulls on everything the exact same amount. Everything gets accelerated towards the Earth exactly the same way. The force that objects feel [what?] may be different because they have different masses, but the acceleration on Earth they experience is exactly the same.

https://www.aps.org/programs/outreach/physicsquest/past/falling-physics.cfm
__

Why do heavy objects fall at the same speed as light objects?
Do Heavier Objects Really Fall Faster? | WIRED
Acceleration of Falling Objects

Heavier things have a greater gravitational force AND heavier things have a lower acceleration. It turns out that these two effects exactly cancel to make falling objects have the same acceleration regardless of mass [if I wrote that I would say heavier objects have greater inertia]
March 19th, 2024 at 5:29:05 AM permalink
DRich
Threads: 51
Quote: odiousgambit
If you google "why is it that objects fall at the same rate?"

A flawed hypothesis. The rate at which things fall very based on shape and air resistance.
At my age a Life In Prison sentence is not much of a detrrent.
March 19th, 2024 at 6:55:59 AM permalink
odiousgambit
of course when you bring this up you should say "in a vacuum" and I didn't
March 20th, 2024 at 5:24:48 AM permalink
odiousgambit
expression used by Mark Twain in 'Innocents Abroad'

>>>

"higher than Gilderoy's kite"

Extremely high; so high that it can hardly be seen. "Gilderoy" was the nickname of notorious 17th-century highwayman Patrick MacGregor, who was hanged at a time when the height of the gallows corresponded to the severity of a criminal's misdeeds. Thus, MacGregor was hanged higher than his accomplices—like a kite in the sky. Why did you put the dishes on a shelf higher than Gilderoy's kite? You know I can't reach anything up there! A: "Can you see the plane?" B: "It's higher than Gilderoy's kite! All I see is a tiny speck!"

https://idioms.thefreedictionary.com/higher+than+Gilderoy%27s+kite
March 21st, 2024 at 6:24:17 AM permalink
odiousgambit
On CNBC Joe Kernen made a crack at colleague Eamon Javors's expense yesterday, calling his segment "Jibber Javers" ... Javers presents himself seriously , as if he has no sense of humor [who knows, actually] so I thought it was kind of a low blow

>>>

What does Jibber Jabber mean?

foolish or worthless talk; nonsense
Definition of 'jibber-jabber'

1. foolish or worthless talk; nonsense. verb. 2. to talk foolishly; babble.
__

Origin
early 19th century: related to gibber1, jabber.
__

gib·ber1
/ˈjibər/
verb
verb: gibber; 3rd person present: gibbers; past tense: gibbered; past participle: gibbered; gerund or present participle: gibbering

speak rapidly and unintelligibly, typically through fear or shock.
"they shrieked and gibbered as flames surrounded them"

Origin
early 17th century: imitative.
__

Where did the term gibberish come from?
Gibberish - Wikipedia
The term was first seen in English in the early 16th century. It is generally thought to be an onomatopoeia imitative of speech, similar to the words jabber (to talk rapidly) and gibber (to speak inarticulately
March 21st, 2024 at 7:23:15 AM permalink
GenoDRPh
Threads: 0
Quote: odiousgambit
On CNBC Joe Kernen made a crack at colleague Eamon Javors's expense yesterday, calling his segment "Jibber Javers" ... Javers presents himself seriously , as if he has no sense of humor [who knows, actually] so I thought it was kind of a low blow

>>>

What does Jibber Jabber mean?

foolish or worthless talk; nonsense
Definition of 'jibber-jabber'

1. foolish or worthless talk; nonsense. verb. 2. to talk foolishly; babble.
__

Origin
early 19th century: related to gibber1, jabber.
__

gib·ber1
/ˈjibər/
verb
verb: gibber; 3rd person present: gibbers; past tense: gibbered; past participle: gibbered; gerund or present participle: gibbering

speak rapidly and unintelligibly, typically through fear or shock.
"they shrieked and gibbered as flames surrounded them"

Origin
early 17th century: imitative.
__

Where did the term gibberish come from?
Gibberish - Wikipedia
The term was first seen in English in the early 16th century. It is generally thought to be an onomatopoeia imitative of speech, similar to the words jabber (to talk rapidly) and gibber (to speak inarticulately

Quit Your Jibber Jabber! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GydAcTk5s5E
March 23rd, 2024 at 10:15:20 AM permalink
odiousgambit
in the commercial, a ghost from the past uses the word 'bamboozle' ... I think just to be funny using an old word

it's a word, though, that I might use time to time. I think they're right, to younger people today it sounds old-timey

>>>

Where did the term Bamboozle originate?

In fact, no one knows the true origin of this term, which dates to the early 1700s. Some trace “bamboozle” to the Scottish “bumbaze,” meaning “to confuse or mystify,” while 1920s etymologist Ernest Weekley weakly suggested it comes from the French “embabuiner,” meaning “to make a baboon of.”
March 24th, 2024 at 5:29:24 AM permalink
odiousgambit
googling led to a link

Quote:
Since WHO first called for the global elimination of industrially produced trans fat in 2018 – with an elimination target set for 2023 – population coverage of best-practice policies has increased almost six-fold. Forty-three countries have now implemented best-practice policies for tackling trans fat in food, with 2.8 billion people protected globally.

Despite substantial progress, however, this still leaves 5 billion worldwide at risk from trans fat’s devastating health impacts with the global goal for its total elimination in 2023 remaining unattainable at this time.

https://www.who.int/news/item/23-01-2023-five-billion-people-unprotected-from-trans-fat-leading-to-heart-disease
__

What is the current status on banning trans fats?

The FDA specifically ruled that trans fat was not generally recognized as safe and "could no longer be added to food after 18 June 2018, unless a manufacturer could present convincing scientific evidence that a particular use was safe." Kummerow stated: "Science won out."
__

What is the best way to remember what this really bad fat is called?

Just remember the word "trans". 'Trans' just means really bad ideas all over the place ok so I just made this last one up but it works for me
March 24th, 2024 at 6:28:04 AM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Maybe I buy the wrong foods, but I can't remember the last time I saw any percentage other than 0 trans fat.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?