3 votes (75%)
1 vote (25%)
No votes (0%)

4 members have voted

July 14th, 2023 at 10:27:42 AM permalink
DRich
Threads: 51
Quote: Mission146

Fourth, who cares if they commit suicide? If they commit suicide, then there is no longer a problem to be addressed.

Please run for some office so that I can vote for you.
At my age a Life In Prison sentence is not much of a detrrent.
July 14th, 2023 at 10:37:21 AM permalink
Mission146
Administrator
Threads: 23
Quote: DRich
Please run for some office so that I can vote for you.

Ha!

PNP (Pragmatic-Nihilist Party) 2024!
"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen..let us give them all they want." William T. Sherman
July 14th, 2023 at 10:39:41 AM permalink
Mission146
Administrator
Quote: rxwine
Okay, and what age does a teen become an adult? I say no one can prove this to any degree. Some people have put it at puberty. Some say, it's what anyone says, which seems to be more the case.

Info on puberty.

I decided to take a different angle, in case you have nothing better to think about at the moment. : )

Honestly, I'd be fine on sexual reassignment being age of majority/consent, which varies by state. I don't know that those just entering puberty should be considered capable of making decisions that will impact their entire lives.
"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen..let us give them all they want." William T. Sherman
July 14th, 2023 at 5:45:52 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
And I'd still leave the decision up to a doctor, parent and child. We both know there are 18y/o olds and above who still can't make responsible decisions, but I don't think either of us care about what they decide to do with themselves.

But there are also 12 year olds who have stepped in as the adult in tragic situations taking care of the younger children when the adult is either raging alcoholic or drug addict or there has been some other tragic situation. In other words, some are capable of adult maturity, sometimes more than the adults.

It's always individual case evaluation for me that decides the situation. No automatic denial or approval based on age. There's also kid geniuses out their who are taking high school or college courses before they even become teens. I know that last part is rare, but kids aren't all the same.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
July 15th, 2023 at 6:30:34 AM permalink
Mission146
Administrator
And I'd still leave the decision up to a doctor, parent and child. We both know there are 18y/o olds and above who still can't make responsible decisions, but I don't think either of us care about what they decide to do with themselves.

But there are also 12 year olds who have stepped in as the adult in tragic situations taking care of the younger children when the adult is either raging alcoholic or drug addict or there has been some other tragic situation. In other words, some are capable of adult maturity, sometimes more than the adults.

It's always individual case evaluation for me that decides the situation. No automatic denial or approval based on age. There's also kid geniuses out their who are taking high school or college courses before they even become teens. I know that last part is rare, but kids aren't all the same.

I agree with that. All I care about is that it's the individual making the decision, as opposed to the parents.

Perhaps you think maturity and capability to make these decisions is strictly quantifiable; I doubt it, but if you do, I disagree with that position. Everything that we have ever had to pick an age for to make a law is arbitrary; I would assume it is this way because it makes all associated laws somewhat black and white. With that, you want to pick an age that's reasonable.

The upper hand that the parents have is that they can coerce children into doing things that the children might not want for themselves, if the children had the capacity to decide. Children can also be easily indoctrinated into an idea. I tend to assume that many of these parents are either idiots or are looking to score victimhood points by being able to discuss, "Their struggle in raising a transgender child," and how noble and good they are because they acquiesced the very wishes that they convinced the child to have in the first place.

Anyway, if you're going to make a law, then it really can't be case-by-case for something like that in other than an ideal world. It's not case-by-case for smoking and drinking, and I would suggest any potentially negative consequences of those things are far less immediate and not necessarily long lasting.

If you want me to put a number on it-16. I'd be fine with 16.
July 15th, 2023 at 7:22:59 AM permalink
rxwine
Guess we will remain at an impasse. Not willing to categorize all trans parents as incapable or incompetent or delusional.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
July 15th, 2023 at 7:24:04 AM permalink
Mission146
Administrator
Guess we will remain at an impasse. Not willing to categorize all trans parents as incapable or incompetent or delusional.

I'm not categorizing them all that way. I'm saying that some number greater than zero almost certainly are.
July 15th, 2023 at 7:28:07 AM permalink
rxwine
The thing that would change my mind is if the mainstream medical community comes around that it is generally an unsound decision to make. But they haven't.

I mean, there are always some that disagree with something.
July 15th, 2023 at 7:45:14 AM permalink
Mission146
Administrator
The thing that would change my mind is if the mainstream medical community comes around that it is generally an unsound decision to make. But they haven't.

I mean, there are always some that disagree with something.

That would be a socially and politically disadvantageous position to take.

You'd also have to have some sort of sample size. We simply haven't mutilated the genitals of enough children yet to know.
July 15th, 2023 at 8:20:44 AM permalink
rxwine
Quote: Mission146
That would be a socially and politically disadvantageous position to take.

You'd also have to have some sort of sample size. We simply haven't mutilated the genitals of enough children yet to know.

It wasn't ultra-political until recently. Genital mutilation is in the eye of the beholder. It can be equally referred to as genital improvement by the beheld.
Page 15 of 17« First<121314151617>