Poll
3 votes (75%)
1 vote (25%)
No votes (0%)

4 members have voted

July 15th, 2023 at 8:31:22 AM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
I can't actually think of anything the mainstream medical community has changed due to pressure from the people's opinion. Everything I can think of, they were forced into by a law, like not doing abortions.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
July 15th, 2023 at 9:45:21 AM permalink
kenarman
Threads: 14
Quote: rxwine
I can't actually think of anything the mainstream medical community has changed due to pressure from the people's opinion. Everything I can think of, they were forced into by a law, like not doing abortions.

I would say that fall off of doctor support for circumcision is due to public opinion.
"but if you make yourselves sheep, the wolves will eat you." Benjamin Franklin
July 15th, 2023 at 9:54:22 AM permalink
rxwine
Quote: kenarman
I would say that fall off of doctor support for circumcision is due to public opinion.

Non medically indicated procedures don’t count. But every urologist is going to do one if there is medically indicated problem to correct regardless of public opinion.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
July 19th, 2023 at 7:50:18 AM permalink
rxwine
Forget about minor trans surgery for a moment, and let's consider the concept that minors shouldn't be allowed to take risks with permission of their parents with a small risk of permanent possibly lifelong damage to some of them. Is this just as unethical? If we're going to apply that standard, I'm not sure why it isn't unethical.

Quote:
Arkansas is at the vanguard of a concerted effort by business lobbyists and Republican legislators to roll back federal and state regulations that have been in place for decades to protect children from abuse. Echoing that philosophy, bills are moving through at least nine other state legislatures that would expand work hours for children, lift restrictions on hazardous occupations, allow them to work in locations that serve alcohol, or lower the state minimum wage for minors. The Labor Department says there has been a 69 percent increase since 2018 in the illegal employment of children.

In February, the Department of Labor announced that it had discovered 102 teenagers working in hazardous conditions for a company that cleans meatpacking equipment at factories around the country, a violation of federal standards. The minors, ages 13 to 17, were working with dangerous chemicals and cleaning brisket saws and head splitters; three of them suffered injuries, including one with caustic burns.

Ten of those children worked in Arkansas, including six at a factory owned by the state’s second-largest private employer, Tyson Foods. Rather than taking immediate action to tighten standards and prevent further exploitation of children, Arkansas went the opposite direction. Earlier this month, Gov. Sarah Huckabee Sanders, a Republican, signed legislation that would actually make it easier for companies to put children to work. The bill eliminated a requirement that children under 16 get a state work permit before being employed, a process that required them to verify their age and get the permission of a parent or guardian.

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/03/24/opinion/editorials/arkansas-child-labor.html
July 19th, 2023 at 8:12:16 AM permalink
Mission146
Administrator
Threads: 23
Forget about minor trans surgery for a moment, and let's consider the concept that minors shouldn't be allowed to take risks with permission of their parents with a small risk of permanent possibly lifelong damage to some of them. Is this just as unethical? If we're going to apply that standard, I'm not sure why it isn't unethical.

Haha! I find it hilarious that the answer to unlawful employment of minors is to change the employment from being unlawful to being lawful.

Of all of those items, the one I don't understand is why minors couldn't work in an establishment that serves liquor. That seems like a law that you'd mostly find in the south to begin with. I know that any state I lived in minors could work in such a venue; minors simply could not be the ones actually serving the liquor.

If you're asking for my opinion on minors working---with only a few exceptions (paper route, for one example) I would only permit minors to work in the event that they had achieved the age of consent, which I would make 16. Having reached that age, they could work for anyone who hired them doing any job anyone else could do.

Oh, and 16 is the age that I would make to consent to sexual intercourse at all. I would create a separate law that addressed adult sexual activity such that the maximum permitted difference in age is five years (unless both are 18+) and the youngest person who could give consent must be at least 16. IOW, a 21 year old could have consensual sex with a 16 year old, but a 22 year old could not, etc...***

***I didn't want you to think I was suggesting full-on adults should be allowed to boink 16 year olds; they shouldn't.
"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen..let us give them all they want." William T. Sherman
July 19th, 2023 at 8:48:36 AM permalink
odiousgambit
Threads: 154

[Arkansas drops permit requirement]

Bad timing [it was before the Tysons thing]; I would tend to agree that it was a bad idea to drop the permits, but don't know what motivated the idea.

the claim is that laws were not loosened otherwise

Quote:
All child labor laws will still apply and we expect businesses to comply just as they are required to do now
https://www.arkansasonline.com/news/2023/mar/03/senate-oks-bill-to-repeal-work-permit-requirement/
I'm Still Standing, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah [it's an old guy chant for me]
July 30th, 2023 at 10:44:41 AM permalink
kenarman
Lyrics to I'm a boy by the Who.

Somewhat interesting in light of many of the discussions about grooming and children's sexuality.

One girl was called Jean Marie
Another little girl was called Felicity
Another little girl was Sally Joy
The other was me, and I'm a boy
My name is Bill, and I'm a head case
They practice making up on my face
Yeah, I feel lucky if I get trousers to wear
Spend evenings taking hairpins from my hair
I'm a boy, I'm a boy
But my ma won't admit it
I'm a boy, I'm a boy
But if I say I am, I get it
Put your frock on, Jean Marie
Plait your hair, Felicity
Paint your nails, little Sally Joy
Put this wig on, little boy
I'm a boy, I'm a boy
But my ma won't admit it
I'm a boy, I'm a boy
Wanna play cricket on the green
Ride my bike across the street
Cut myself and see my blood
Wanna come home all covered in mud
I'm a boy, I'm a boy
But my ma won't admit it
I'm a boy, I'm a boy
August 30th, 2023 at 7:23:30 AM permalink
kenarman
"California school district has settled a lawsuit with a mother who sued after finding out that the school had attempted to “transition” her daughter’s gender without informing her, awarding the mother $100,000.

As reported by the Daily Caller, Jessica Konen filed the lawsuit against the Spreckels Union School District after the school recruited her sixth-grade daughter, Alicia, into its “Equality Club.” This club subsequently taught the child about so-called “transgenderism,” and actively encouraged her to “transition” into a boy, providing her advice on how to keep the process a secret from her parents."

That must be fake news, the lefties on the forum say that parents are always part of the decision. Mind she was in grade 6 so I guess she was old enough to make her own decision on life changing surgery.
August 30th, 2023 at 7:30:18 AM permalink
ams288
Threads: 29
Quote: kenarman
"California school district has settled a lawsuit with a mother who sued after finding out that the school had attempted to “transition” her daughter’s gender without informing her, awarding the mother $100,000.

As reported by the Daily Caller, Jessica Konen filed the lawsuit against the Spreckels Union School District after the school recruited her sixth-grade daughter, Alicia, into its “Equality Club.” This club subsequently taught the child about so-called “transgenderism,” and actively encouraged her to “transition” into a boy, providing her advice on how to keep the process a secret from her parents."

That must be fake news, the lefties on the forum say that parents are always part of the decision. Mind she was in grade 6 so I guess she was old enough to make her own decision on life changing surgery.

I’m sure the Daily Caller is reporting all the facts and hasn’t injected their bigoted viewpoint at all into this story.
“A straight man will not go for kids.” - AZDuffman
August 30th, 2023 at 8:14:32 AM permalink
kenarman
Quote: ams288
I’m sure the Daily Caller is reporting all the facts and hasn’t injected their bigoted viewpoint at all into this story.

Not where the quote came from. Regardless, I am sure that the SD paid $100K out of the goodness of their heart just to help the mom out.
Page 16 of 17« First<1314151617>