Stinker of the House

Page 4 of 14<1234567>Last »
October 17th, 2023 at 9:41:41 AM permalink
RonC
Threads: 8
Quote: GenoDRPh
It wasn't the Dems job of stopping the insane eight. That was all McCarthy and the GOP's leadership. The Democrats did their job by voting to keep the government open for business.

I guess you ignored the quote in my post and replied to my comment out of context.

The point was that I didn't expect any Democrats to support the former Speaker any more than I expect any Republicans to vote for Hakeem Jeffries to be the Speaker.
October 17th, 2023 at 9:45:36 AM permalink
ams288
Threads: 29
Looks like Gym Jordan might squeak through? Gonna be close. The “moderates” who were holding out are crumbling.

You can’t actually be a “moderate” and vote for Gym Jordan for speaker. That’s just a fact.
“A straight man will not go for kids.” - AZDuffman
October 17th, 2023 at 11:38:25 AM permalink
ams288
Threads: 29
Quite the snapshot

“A straight man will not go for kids.” - AZDuffman
October 17th, 2023 at 11:41:33 AM permalink
SOOPOO
Threads: 22
Quote: ams288
Looks like Gym Jordan might squeak through? Gonna be close. The “moderates” who were holding out are crumbling.

You can’t actually be a “moderate” and vote for Gym Jordan for speaker. That’s just a fact.

That thinking is new to this dysfunctional Republican house. Before this fiasco, ALL Republicans would have simply voted for the representative who got the most votes in their caucus. Right, Left, Moderate, Radical…. all would vote for Jordan. Of course, they never would have booted McCarthy. And if for some reason McCarthy was no longer speaker…. they would have coalesced around Scalise, the FIRST guy who got a majority of the Repubs to support him.

You think there are no Democrats that don’t want Jeffries as their leader? Hardly. But the Dems understand how the process works and use it as a unifying force, not the self destructive force that is emblematic of the new Republicans.
October 17th, 2023 at 11:56:33 AM permalink
Mission146
Administrator
Threads: 23
Quote: RonC
Just as much of a chance as there was of a few brave Democrats a few days ago putting their country before their party and stopping the insane eight.

The Republicans are in a shit show. It will have an impact on the elections because it will be a good talking point for Dems in swing areas. Jefferies may become speaker, but not until the new Congress is seated after the next election.

It is all on the Republicans.

No, they are not all the same...but they will stay within the lines on the Speaker votes.

I mean, don't vote insane people into office, I guess. I'd also say don't back insane people as a party, or individually. This is coming from the Trumper crew where Trump himself also endorsed Doug Mastriano for Governor of PA and Dr. Oz (who would probably have been reasonable-enough had he won) for the PA Senate.

They swore fealty to Trump, put idiots in office and now they lie in this bed. There's absolutely ZERO reason it should be incumbent on the Democrats to do the Republicans any favors. Would I like to see our Federal-level elected representatives behave as adults who are actually concerned with addressing the issues of this country? Sure. That ship all but officially sailed in 2020, though. It had already untied the moorings and raised anchor in 2016, but hadn't actually raised the sails yet.***

As you said, the Republicans are indeed a program consisting of shizz. In electability and public perception terms, why should the Democrats pardon a prisoner who continues to condemn himself?

***To be clear, that's on both sides. The first Impeachment attempt was ridiculous, Kavanaugh confirmation hearings were ridiculous...almost everything that was actually public-facing about the Trump Admin was ridiculous...seems like it did okay enough behind the scenes.
"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen..let us give them all they want." William T. Sherman
October 17th, 2023 at 11:58:47 AM permalink
Mission146
Administrator
Quote: SOOPOO
That thinking is new to this dysfunctional Republican house. Before this fiasco, ALL Republicans would have simply voted for the representative who got the most votes in their caucus. Right, Left, Moderate, Radical…. all would vote for Jordan. Of course, they never would have booted McCarthy. And if for some reason McCarthy was no longer speaker…. they would have coalesced around Scalise, the FIRST guy who got a majority of the Repubs to support him.

You think there are no Democrats that don’t want Jeffries as their leader? Hardly. But the Dems understand how the process works and use it as a unifying force, not the self destructive force that is emblematic of the new Republicans.

My guess is a huge percentage of those Republicans also thought those vote results were rigged. I mean, sure, they're all sitting in a room together and possibly saying the votes out loud...but there could be extraterrestrial lifeforms controlling them behind the scenes to benefit the Democrats.
"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen..let us give them all they want." William T. Sherman
October 18th, 2023 at 8:21:34 AM permalink
RonC
Quote: Mission146
My guess is a huge percentage of those Republicans also thought those vote results were rigged. I mean, sure, they're all sitting in a room together and possibly saying the votes out loud...but there could be extraterrestrial lifeforms controlling them behind the scenes to benefit the Democrats.

Well, I heard someone say it was a secret ballot...so do the conspiracy theorists think that it was rigged?
October 18th, 2023 at 8:25:43 AM permalink
RonC
This could be it for Jordan. There are four hard "no" votes that he will not get, according to reports.

We'll see in an hour or two...
October 18th, 2023 at 8:57:20 AM permalink
Mission146
Administrator
Well, I heard someone say it was a secret ballot...so do the conspiracy theorists think that it was rigged?

Hell yeah. Undoubtedly. Also, why the hell should they need a secret ballot?
October 18th, 2023 at 8:58:53 AM permalink
Mission146
Administrator
This could be it for Jordan. There are four hard "no" votes that he will not get, according to reports.

We'll see in an hour or two...

I would think so, if the reports are correct. If there are four hard no votes, then there are probably several soft no votes that would become yes votes, given sufficient peer pressure.
Page 4 of 14<1234567>Last »