Stinker of the House

October 23rd, 2023 at 10:43:18 AM permalink
SOOPOO
Threads: 22
Quote: ams288
Quote: SOOPOO
Quote: GenoDRPh
If the GOP eventually admits they need Dem help in electing a speaker, anyone who voted no on the first two bills in the list are DOA.

Makes Emmer look like a moderate. IDK if he is or isn't, but if he is, the far right will never vote for him.

Not sure if you understand….. if the Dems coalesce on ANY Republican candidate that candidate will only need a HANDFUL of Republicans to vote for him/her! They could ignore the far right wackos. I am NOT saying the Democrats are smart enough to realize this….. (And the Dems could block any recall effort if they want to as well).

I hate that I agree with Chris Christie, but he basically said he doesn’t care who is speaker, he just wants one. B

Er… it only takes 5 republicans to vote for Jeffries and this is all over.

Balls in the GOP’s court!

Factually correct. But not relevant in the real world. There is a a real world potential for the Democrats to pick the most palatable Republican candidate, which accomplishes many goals. Good for the country in that it lets the business of the House move forward. Good for the Dems in that it has the best Speaker POSSIBLE for them as the minority party. And GREAT for them as it is humiliating for the Repubs, and a GREAT talking point showing how the Dems were the adults in the room.

But they are not….
October 23rd, 2023 at 10:49:57 AM permalink
GenoDRPh
Threads: 0
If the GOP eventually admits they need Dem help in electing a speaker, anyone who voted no on the first two bills in the list are DOA.

Makes Emmer look like a moderate. IDK if he is or isn't, but if he is, the far right will never vote for him.

Not sure if you understand….. if the Dems coalesce on ANY Republican candidate that candidate will only need a HANDFUL of Republicans to vote for him/her! They could ignore the far right wackos. I am NOT saying the Democrats are smart enough to realize this….. (And the Dems could block any recall effort if they want to as well).

I hate that I agree with Chris Christie, but he basically said he doesn’t care who is speaker, he just wants one. B

You continue to try and blame the Dems for this mess, and say it's the Dem's responsibility to get the GOP and the House out of this mess.
October 23rd, 2023 at 10:49:57 AM permalink
GenoDRPh

You continue to try and blame the Dems for this mess, and say it's the Dem's responsibility to get the GOP and the House out of this mess.
October 24th, 2023 at 5:23:04 AM permalink
RonC
Threads: 8
Factually correct. But not relevant in the real world. There is a a real world potential for the Democrats to pick the most palatable Republican candidate, which accomplishes many goals. Good for the country in that it lets the business of the House move forward. Good for the Dems in that it has the best Speaker POSSIBLE for them as the minority party. And GREAT for them as it is humiliating for the Repubs, and a GREAT talking point showing how the Dems were the adults in the room.

But they are not….

I don't see SOOPOO's most recent comments as "blaming Democrats" at all. I really don't see them as bad enough to post the same response twice... They are speaking to an opportunity to support the candidate the Republicans put forward that is closest to the middle and then have some control over that person should he/she fall out of favor with the Insane Eight.

Republicans are clearly responsible for the issue and it is theirs to solve...but what disadvantage is there to the Democrats should they try to turn things a bit in their favor?
October 24th, 2023 at 6:06:08 AM permalink
ams288
Threads: 29
Quote: RonC
Republicans are clearly responsible for the issue and it is theirs to solve...but what disadvantage is there to the Democrats should they try to turn things a bit in their favor?

The GOP should make an offer. They’re not getting Dem help for nothing.
“A straight man will not go for kids.” - AZDuffman
October 24th, 2023 at 6:16:34 AM permalink
RonC
Threads: 8
The GOP should make an offer. They’re not getting Dem help for nothing.

I would suspect that it would require some kind of deal. Could be a quiet thing to provide "x" number of votes for the right candidate.

Some may see that as betrayal but, in the right Districts, it could play well. You don't have to win the country, just your area.

Besides, the betrayal was the Insane Eight holding all Republicans hostage. My rep was not one of them but he is such a clown that I am hoping he gets primaried. The makeup of the area is changing so his spot could even go to the D team in the next couple of terms time.
October 24th, 2023 at 6:48:54 AM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Well, they've worked out a system of voting for the multiple candidates.

Quote:
The GOP conference is voting by secret ballot for its preferred candidate, and the lowest-ranking candidate will be eliminated in subsequent rounds until someone receives majority support.

They've adopted the rules of "Survivor."
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
October 24th, 2023 at 7:08:50 AM permalink
ams288
Threads: 29
Quote: rxwine
Well, they've worked out a system of voting for the multiple candidates.

They've adopted the rules of "Survivor."

And yet, after all this, none of them will get to 217/218 on the floor. That’s the problem.
“A straight man will not go for kids.” - AZDuffman
October 24th, 2023 at 8:21:14 AM permalink
GenoDRPh
Quote: RonC
I would suspect that it would require some kind of deal. Could be a quiet thing to provide "x" number of votes for the right candidate.

Some may see that as betrayal but, in the right Districts, it could play well. You don't have to win the country, just your area.

Besides, the betrayal was the Insane Eight holding all Republicans hostage. My rep was not one of them but he is such a clown that I am hoping he gets primaried. The makeup of the area is changing so his spot could even go to the D team in the next couple of terms time.

Current Dem deal is for the Dems to all vote "present" in exchange for deals on the budget, Ukraine and Israeli aide and certain rule changes. Unknown if the GOP will accept.
October 24th, 2023 at 9:00:08 AM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
And yet, after all this, none of them will get to 217/218 on the floor. That’s the problem.

Right now, my standards are low. As long as I get a chuckle out of the shattered dreams of Gaetz and Jordon before this clown show is over.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?