Stinker of the House

October 25th, 2023 at 12:51:59 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Quote: missedhervee
Oh, but he IS a MAGA...an election denier.

He was elected because Trump approved of his election.

Alas, shows Trump's sway over the republicans.

I already think he’s a step up from McCarthy, Jordon, DeSantis, the Gaetz 8, and the orange skinned good for nothing himself.

So, will wait and see.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
October 25th, 2023 at 4:32:31 PM permalink
SOOPOO
Threads: 22
Quote: ams288
I guess it makes sense to pick some random who no one ever heard of before so no one has any reason to object to him.

Looking at his record, he seems vile. So it makes sense the GOP rallied around him.

So are the Dems happy a loser Trumpofile is now the speaker? They had it in their power to keep McCarthey, or elect Emmer. They chose not to use the power they had and are stuck with a tool of Trump. A REAL Democrat leader would have used the rare opportunity to choose the best possible speaker for the Dems available. They have no one intelligent enough to have done so. It really is that simple. The Dems could have selected the least unpalatable choice. Instead they get the most unpalatable choice.
October 25th, 2023 at 4:38:34 PM permalink
ams288
Threads: 29
Quote: SOOPOO
So are the Dems happy a loser Trumpofile is now the speaker? They had it in their power to keep McCarthey, or elect Emmer. They chose not to use the power they had and are stuck with a tool of Trump. A REAL Democrat leader would have used the rare opportunity to choose the best possible speaker for the Dems available. They have no one intelligent enough to have done so. It really is that simple. The Dems could have selected the least unpalatable choice. Instead they get the most unpalatable choice.

Please let us know what difference Johnson vs. McCarthy will make in the House.

They all suck! Not like the GOP is going to be able to pass anything different than they would under Gym, Scalise, etc,…

And now Dems get to fundraise off of an extremely fringe anti-abortion, anti-gay, anti-democracy fool. He ain’t gonna play well in those 18 Biden districts currently inhabited by GOP house members.
“A straight man will not go for kids.” - AZDuffman
October 25th, 2023 at 4:43:11 PM permalink
SOOPOO
Quote: ams288
Please let us know what difference Johnson vs. McCarthy will make in the House.

They all suck! Not like the GOP is going to be able to pass anything different than they would under Gym, Scalise, etc,…

And now Dems get to fundraise off of an extremely fringe anti-abortion, anti-gay, anti-democracy fool.

McCarthey helped get the ‘keep the government open’ bill passed. The looney Trump supporters like Jordan would have blocked it. It seems like Johnson is more closely aligned with Trump than Emmer or McCarthey.

I’m just happy the House is now open again. If just to get money/weapons to Israel, which seems bipartisan.
October 25th, 2023 at 5:12:22 PM permalink
GenoDRPh
Threads: 0
McCarthey helped get the ‘keep the government open’ bill passed. The looney Trump supporters like Jordan would have blocked it. It seems like Johnson is more closely aligned with Trump than Emmer or McCarthey.

I’m just happy the House is now open again. If just to get money/weapons to Israel, which seems bipartisan.

If the government shuts down, it'll be the GOP and Johnson that gets the blame from the electorate.

Both Ukraine and Israel need money/weapons.
October 25th, 2023 at 5:12:22 PM permalink
GenoDRPh
Threads: 0

If the government shuts down, it'll be the GOP and Johnson that gets the blame from the electorate.

October 26th, 2023 at 7:37:40 AM permalink
SOOPOO
Quote: GenoDRPh

And sadly that’s the Dems endgame. Just make sure the Repubs are blamed. I am NOT arguing that the pathetically dysfunctional Repubs aren’t making it easy for the Dems to do so.

I have a friend who explained why he will vote for Trump. He says that Trump is a moron, but he perceives border/economy (meaning inflation) as way more real world important to him (and many Americans) than Trump’s multitude of problems. My other super liberal friend understands why America might go Trump over Biden, but he has so much disdain for Trump as a man that he would vote for potted plant over Trump. (Lots of political talk on vacation). I can’t vote for Trump. And as an anti-Democrat, that leaves me essentially NOTHING.

We shall see if Johnson can work with the Democrats at all. As a reminder, he gets nothing accomplished unless Schumer agrees. Biden too.
October 26th, 2023 at 7:44:14 AM permalink
RonC
Threads: 8
Quote: GenoDRPh

Can you please figure out how to post once instead of posting so many doubles? We all do it once in awhile, but it seems to happen all the time.

Thanks in advance.
October 26th, 2023 at 7:52:50 AM permalink
RonC
Threads: 8
And sadly that’s the Dems endgame. Just make sure the Repubs are blamed. I am NOT arguing that the pathetically dysfunctional Repubs aren’t making it easy for the Dems to do so...

I think that the Dems take this route often. Look how long the Senate has put up with Tuberville's (R-AL) hostage holding of military appointees. Tuberville is wrong in doing that; more especially as we enter a period of being on a war footing once again. The issue I have is that the Dems could work to approve them all one by one and blast Tuberville at every turn..."we just spent 30 wasted hours considering the promotion of a distinguished Patriot in a fight waged by one Republican Senator. That time could have been better spent working in a bipartisan manner to solve all the real problems of the world."

I get that it isn't the Dems job to save the Republicans but there is a certain obligation to work hard if someone is gumming up the system. Make him pay for it but get the work done.

If blaming Republicans is the only goal. they aren't really Patriots or good citizens. They are just politicians. Goes for a lot of people in DC.

So glad I do not live in that are anymore!
October 26th, 2023 at 7:56:33 AM permalink
ams288
Threads: 29
Quote: RonC
I think that the Dems take this route often. Look how long the Senate has put up with Tuberville's (R-AL) hostage holding of military appointees. Tuberville is wrong in doing that; more especially as we enter a period of being on a war footing once again. The issue I have is that the Dems could work to approve them all one by one and blast Tuberville at every turn..."we just spent 30 wasted hours considering the promotion of a distinguished Patriot in a fight waged by one Republican Senator.

<Bolded questionable claim for emphasis>

Huh?

You sure about that?

Edit: I googled it

https://apnews.com/article/tuberville-military-holds-senate-officers-45c4230a8aee5222bf32b43823e29acc

Quote:
THE POWER OF ONE
In the Senate, one senator can hold up nominations or legislation even if the other 99 want it to move forward.

Generally, leaders in the majority party get around this by holding a series of votes to move a measure and dispense of the hold. It just takes some additional time on the Senate floor.

But Tuberville’s blockade is unique because there are hundreds of military nominations and promotions, and Democratic leaders would have to hold roll call votes on every single one of them to get around the hold. It’s a decades-long tradition for the Senate to group military promotions together and approve them by voice vote, avoiding lengthy roll calls.

So Tuberville has put the Senate in a bind. The chairman of the Senate Armed Services Committee, Sen. Jack Reed, D-R.I., said this week that voting on the more than 260 military nominations through the regular procedure would take 27 days with the Senate working “around the clock” or 84 days if the Senate worked eight hours a day.

I’m gonna side with the Dems here and not let Tuberville off the hook.
“A straight man will not go for kids.” - AZDuffman