What if...

December 7th, 2023 at 1:09:57 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: missedhervee
Yes, abstractors are used in some states, but oddly not all.

Some have moved on and title companies do the work so attorneys need not do it themselves nor must they hire abstractors to do if for them.

I enjoyed real property cases but researching chain of title issues was a time consuming, pretty boring chore on the few occasions I looked into it for a matter.

You are still an abstractor no matter if you are an indie or working for an attorney. In oil and gas we called it "landman" even if you were a woman you were a landman. But landman to abstractor of current title is as Boxman is to working the Big Six. You need to be far more than "literate." It is detective work, but it is not at all boring. Certainly not as boring as a detective sitting on a meth house eating pimento sandwiches.

In my time I saw or did the following. Slave emancipation paperwork, child support order from the 1800s, held in my hand the same summons as was delivered to the defendant in the 1850s, seen slaves left to people in wills, divorce testimony that would kill anyone's faith in humanity. That is just what I can remember off the top of my head.

You have to be a certain type to do well. You have to know how to read legal stuff. I once found a coal company who did not keep the coal when they sold the property! Another time I followed a hunch and found the lost chain 10 others in the room could not. I found a completely lost plan of lots even the team lead was going to give up on.

So boring? Some days, but made up for with the fact you are a detective historian. The job showed me what the job of a historian kind of is.

The real question is, why did someone think I want women to have no rights causing us to go down this line. No idea what I ever said would indicate such a thing.
The President is a fink.
December 7th, 2023 at 6:30:11 PM permalink
GenoDRPh
Threads: 0
Quote: AZDuffman
You are still an abstractor no matter if you are an indie or working for an attorney. In oil and gas we called it "landman" even if you were a woman you were a landman. But landman to abstractor of current title is as Boxman is to working the Big Six. You need to be far more than "literate." It is detective work, but it is not at all boring. Certainly not as boring as a detective sitting on a meth house eating pimento sandwiches.

In my time I saw or did the following. Slave emancipation paperwork, child support order from the 1800s, held in my hand the same summons as was delivered to the defendant in the 1850s, seen slaves left to people in wills, divorce testimony that would kill anyone's faith in humanity. That is just what I can remember off the top of my head.

You have to be a certain type to do well. You have to know how to read legal stuff. I once found a coal company who did not keep the coal when they sold the property! Another time I followed a hunch and found the lost chain 10 others in the room could not. I found a completely lost plan of lots even the team lead was going to give up on.

So boring? Some days, but made up for with the fact you are a detective historian. The job showed me what the job of a historian kind of is.

The real question is, why did someone think I want women to have no rights causing us to go down this line. No idea what I ever said would indicate such a thing.

Because you support elected officials who wish to strip women of certain rights.
December 8th, 2023 at 2:37:37 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Quote: GenoDRPh
Because you support elected officials who wish to strip women of certain rights.

Kind of a stretch there.
The President is a fink.
December 8th, 2023 at 4:43:51 AM permalink
DoubleGold
Threads: 30
Which human rights apply to women and not men and/or vice versa?

Also, are human rights variable or constant?

And last but not least, is there a difference between human rights and legal rights?
December 8th, 2023 at 5:27:10 AM permalink
DoubleGold
Why would a man publicly state before selecting a VP running mate (or to the Supreme Court, etc.), that the selection would be a woman?
December 8th, 2023 at 5:54:40 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Quote: DoubleGold
Why would a man publicly state before selecting a VP running mate (or to the Supreme Court, etc.), that the selection would be a woman?

To get a few good news cycles.
The President is a fink.
December 8th, 2023 at 5:55:28 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Quote: DoubleGold
Which human rights apply to women and not men and/or vice versa?

Also, are human rights variable or constant?

And last but not least, is there a difference between human rights and legal rights?

Bigger question. Can an atheist believe there are natural human rights?
The President is a fink.
December 8th, 2023 at 6:28:26 AM permalink
DoubleGold
To get a few good news cycles.

I think he didn't know it's wrong to discriminate against men.

Why advertise a black conscience?
December 8th, 2023 at 6:32:11 AM permalink
DoubleGold
Bigger question. Can an atheist believe there are natural human rights?

Excellent Q.

Where do human rights originate?
December 8th, 2023 at 6:55:59 AM permalink
DoubleGold
Quote: GenoDRPh

Would you support a person running for an election that would discriminate against men?