The Biden Presidency 2024

February 9th, 2024 at 11:52:05 AM permalink
RonC
Threads: 8
Quote: JimRockford
The GOP critics paint these threshold numbers as if they are a count of illegals set loose in the US. The triggers for emergency action are based on contacts with immigrants. The bill was meant to fundamentally change asylum procedures at the border so that a fraction of the asylum seekers even pass the first screening interview and the rest are shown the exit. Would this bill have actually achieved that? We'll never know, that aspect was deliberately avoided. No one talked about hammering out something better that could pass. All we got from the GOP was campaign to kill it based on misinformation. It's dead now. Congratulations GOP you have what you wanted. Border Chaos remains.

While I will admit that I would have rather have them work on a bill with acceptable (ones that would pass the Senate and House) compromises, it is rather disingenuous to hear all the self-righteous crowing about what the Republicans did when there have been three years of inaction by the Democrats. The latest bill has been worked on for just a few months...since about when the polls showed it was a larger issue than the Democrats expected in the coming election. The Senate could have long ago taken up HR 2, a bill that passed the House last May, and potentially make amendments and send it to a Conference Committee. They also could have just brought it up and rejected it as too radical.

The "Chaos" started a while back.

Note: I firmly believe the Republicans will lose the messaging battle on this issue. They are horrid at messaging.
February 9th, 2024 at 12:16:26 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Quote: RonC
I appreciate President Biden's ability to speak regularly with past leaders of foreign countries long after their deaths.

He has apparently used the same basic story about a summit fairly recently (2021?) and speaking with different foreign leaders in different speeches--once François Mitterrand and another time (maybe more than one time because it sounds like he used the same speech at different fundraisers without correcting who he said that he spoke with) Helmut Kohl.

Yeah, he is just fine...nothing to see here...

So far, Biden has recovered from the lapses he's had. He hasn't even done a full McConnell and has to be led off stage by aides unable to speak. It's not that I'm waiting for it to happen, but at least i have no problem with his current condition whatever it is. Trump was the only one, I know of who went in with a talk with Putin with only a translator in the room. And we still don't know what he said. We survived assassinations. We will survive whatever may happen at any point.

Then they will likely invoke the 25th amendment if necessary.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
February 9th, 2024 at 1:03:23 PM permalink
RonC
Quote: rxwine
So far, Biden has recovered from the lapses he's had. He hasn't even done a full McConnell and has to be led off stage by aides unable to speak. It's not that I'm waiting for it to happen, but at least i have no problem with his current condition whatever it is. Trump was the only one, I know of who went in with a talk with Putin with only a translator in the room. And we still don't know what he said. We survived assassinations. We will survive whatever may happen at any point.

Then they will likely invoke the 25th amendment if necessary.

There is a HUGE difference between the person who is President and the person who is not even in the line of succession for that office.

I also don't think the whole "ageism" thing is anything but words when it comes to how people age. In the case of cognitive decline, we all go at different times and some never "lose it" before passing. I just listened to a clip of Biden signing EOs that changed the border policies in 2021 and some of his recent speech...his decline is evident even over just three years. His speech in the EO signing was clear even if with a mask on; now he is mostly half-mumbling even when what he says is correct.

I wonder if it would have been better for Hur to recommend charges for Biden rather than stating the obvious...that he is barely functional at some points. He could still likely avoid actually ending up in court.

His staff knows he is not as sharp in the evening...yet they tossed him out there last night anyway. Are they working for the 25th? (Okay...maybe he decided to go out there just because he is stubborn...)
February 9th, 2024 at 1:09:49 PM permalink
rxwine
If You think i'm going to vote for Trump's mouth because more sensible things come out of it, no way.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
February 9th, 2024 at 4:44:44 PM permalink
Gandler
Threads: 27
Quote: SOOPOO
Less than 1,000,000 a year. I’d want NONE until we get the millions here on the public dole off the public dole. I understand your point. But mine is that asylum was meant for those persecuted for religion, politics, and stuff like that. It is CLEARLY now just being used as an excuse to seek ‘a better life’.
How many do I think are truly seeking asylum? It’s gotta be a small percentage.

I agree, if you pass through multiple countries to enter the U.S. you are probably not seeking asylum because you have already passed out of the country that had you at risk. And, I agree many (maybe even most) are abusing it for easy immigration.

But, my problem with an arbitrary limit, is some years there are probably genuine millions that need asylum (like WWII era,) and some years there are probably close to zero, it is not a number that can be predicted, because conflicts, wars, and dangerous factions change day to day.

I do think that asylum centers (where people are kept and processed under watch until their claims are determined,) could be a good compromise. I know this is unpopular on both the left and the right, but it is a reasonable solution.
February 10th, 2024 at 6:25:11 AM permalink
JimRockford
Threads: 2
Quote: RonC
While I will admit that I would have rather have them work on a bill with acceptable (ones that would pass the Senate and House) compromises, it is rather disingenuous to hear all the self-righteous crowing about what the Republicans did when there have been three years of inaction by the Democrats. The latest bill has been worked on for just a few months...since about when the polls showed it was a larger issue than the Democrats expected in the coming election. The Senate could have long ago taken up HR 2, a bill that passed the House last May, and potentially make amendments and send it to a Conference Committee. They also could have just brought it up and rejected it as too radical.

The "Chaos" started a while back.

Note: I firmly believe the Republicans will lose the messaging battle on this issue. They are horrid at messaging.

No one should be surprised by Biden’s flip flop. He’s always had a finger to the wind, that’s who he is. He’s been around long enough that at some point in his career he’s taken every side of every issue. Call me self righteous if you want but I’m not a Democrat. I’m just pointing out that the GOP is not the party of border security as much as they are the party of Trump.

As far as messaging, Trump is doing fine with his lies. He got you and SOOPOO fired up and y’all don’t even like him.
The mind hungers for that on which it feeds.
February 10th, 2024 at 7:14:02 AM permalink
RonC
No one should be surprised by Biden’s flip flop. He’s always had a finger to the wind, that’s who he is. He’s been around long enough that at some point in his career he’s taken every side of every issue. Call me self righteous if you want but I’m not a Democrat. I’m just pointing out that the GOP is not the party of border security as much as they are the party of Trump.

If that is what Biden is doing, he should have learned how to be better at selling it like Bill Clinton was... If he was more like that, he would have started fixing it/trying to fix it/trying to put the Republicans on the spot BEFORE it hurt him this badly in polling.

As far as messaging, Trump is doing fine with his lies. He got you and SOOPOO fired up and y’all don’t even like him.

I am not even sure what the heck that comment is about. If it is about the border, I have been fired up about that forever. I live in a border state. The President has failed to enforce border laws.

I guess saying "Trump" is just a way to deflect from the harm the President has done.

Go for it.
February 10th, 2024 at 8:09:52 AM permalink
rxwine
Random question of the day. What happens when we discover someone in the US and we can't identify their native-born country? And they refuse to give it away, even to the point of not speaking. Surely, we can't deport them to a random country. Can you hold them in jail indefinitely?
February 10th, 2024 at 9:41:00 AM permalink
RonC
Random question of the day. What happens when we discover someone in the US and we can't identify their native-born country? And they refuse to give it away, even to the point of not speaking. Surely, we can't deport them to a random country. Can you hold them in jail indefinitely?

Send a sample to 23 and me and send to the area with the highest return?

That is a good question...they can't make a case of asylum if they don't tell you where they are from and what has happened to them. You can't hold them forever; the courts would end up involved at some point.

A quick read of the applicable law seems to say that they can figure it out...

8 U.S. Code § 1231 - Detention and removal of aliens ordered removed

https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/8/1231
February 10th, 2024 at 9:43:42 AM permalink
odiousgambit
Threads: 154
Let him go free if he's doing nothing illegal. Why would you nab him? you need probable cause.

If he needs a job, he'll need an ID and a ss #. If he wants public services of any kind, I feel he needs to show he is a citizen, but today in many places he might be able to get away with not showing a thing. Vote, even... with somebody "helping" him fill out the ballot, no doubt, while he maintains his silence.
I'm Still Standing, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah [it's an old guy chant for me]