Random Thought of the Day

July 30th, 2016 at 7:27:03 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Quote:
To amuse themselves, people in a village would offer their village idiot a choice between a nickel or a dime. He would always pick the nickel because it was larger. This always gave everyone a good laugh.

One day, a stranger says to the village idiot, “You know, although a nickel is larger than a dime, it is only worth half a dime. You should pick the dime.” The idiot says, “I know that. But if I pick up the dime, people would stop offering me the choice between taking a nickel or a dime, wouldn’t they? Who would be that stupid?”
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
July 31st, 2016 at 1:18:04 AM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
The village idiot,
the fool on the hill,
the different drummer,
the woman of means,
the enemy of the people...
None of them are ever quite the fools that people think they are.
August 2nd, 2016 at 9:47:34 AM permalink
Ayecarumba
Threads: 89
Saw an infomercial for an ear wax removal device that is basically an auger.

One of the key selling points was that it was better and safer than a q-tip because q-tips push the wax deeper into the ear canal.

Did I mention that their product was an auger on a stick? How is that supposed to be better and safer?

A note to infomercial directors... most potential customers do not want to see other people's ear wax, nasty toenails, nor shaved calluses.
August 2nd, 2016 at 12:11:54 PM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
Quote: Ayecarumba
A note to infomercial directors... most potential customers do not want to see other people's ear wax, nasty toenails, nor shaved calluses.

Infomercials are so cheap to make that it doesn't matter if you offend 99 percent of the viewers, that one percent purchase rate will still put you on Easy Street.
August 2nd, 2016 at 12:52:48 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189

One of the key selling points was that it was better and safer than a q-tip because q-tips push the wax deeper into the ear canal.

Ever hear the story of the lady who answered the phone forgetting she had a q-tip in her ear?

Coulda happened I guess.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
August 2nd, 2016 at 1:28:38 PM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Quote: Fleastiff
Infomercials are so cheap to make that it doesn't matter if you offend 99 percent of the viewers, that one percent purchase rate will still put you on Easy Street.

Same theory behind spam email
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
August 2nd, 2016 at 1:55:12 PM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
Did I mention that their product was an auger on a stick? How is that supposed to be better and safer?

Do they sell a spike to replace unsafe foam ear plugs? :)
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
August 2nd, 2016 at 3:55:49 PM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
Theology: n. The notion that one cannot declare the emperor to be naked, without first knowing all the nuance, meaning and implications of invisible finery.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
August 4th, 2016 at 4:13:33 PM permalink
Face
Threads: 61
I just had court for the whole registration nonsense back during "race season". I noticed I didn't have a shred of typical anger. Usually court means I go on an internal, Ron Swanson-esque, libertarian tirade the whole time I'm there, but this time I just noticed my surroundings. There wasn't 20 people there, including the court personnel, and half the people were just defendant supporters. Things were chill, un-hostile, totally unlike most all other courts I've been to. Proceedings were casual. Small town life. I was in a good mood.

Reg reduced to parking, I could pay the max $150 fine, blah, blah, blah. Prosecutor was almost frat-ish with his casualness. Have a seat until the judge and wasn't 10 min before I was already being called.

"You spoke to pros., you agree to parking, etc and so forth. How do you plead?"
"Guilty"
"Of sound mind and intelligent, no promises, no threats, etc and so forth?"
"All is well"
"OK, conditional" /stamps ticket.
"OK, thank... wait........ wha, so..........?"
"Conditional. Don't do it again."
".....excellent. Thank you, sir" /exit stage left

Took 28 min from the time I left home until the time I returned. I'm not sure if this constitutes an actual miracle, but FrG's argument just gained a point =p
Be bold and risk defeat, or be cautious and encourage it.
August 4th, 2016 at 5:13:57 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Don't do what again, what did you do.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.