Random Thought of the Day

November 8th, 2016 at 11:35:40 AM permalink
Ayecarumba
Threads: 89
Quote: odiousgambit
Funny thing with the DVR revolution is that [in my own case] there was no DVR to buy but a choice to make what kind of service to have from the TV service. First it was directTV and now it is Dish

Once before this, before we moved, I actually went in to buy a DVR and the guy looked at me like I had two heads. He said everybody just 'gets it' from the cable company, he was kind of snide about it. Suggested you have no choice, weird, but I guess they didn't even try to sell them. But I can tell from your post I might like having a separate component; it's like the cable and satellite people pounced on this and are getting people to make the wrong choice to benefit themselves. I can tell you the inertia has set in though, I am quite unlikely to change now.

Love having DVR though. It's one of those modern things where you just can. not. go. back. I won't watch anything without building up what I call "blow-through". This includes sports, I watch everything without seeing any commercials - takes me a little over an hour to see a game too. Every play if I want. Other people look at me funny - they can't stand being separated from the immediacy, they say, when it comes to sports. I have to tell you that completely mystifies me. With DVR you can start watching without the program being finished, you knucklehead*, all you need is some "blow-through"

*I feel like saying

The fact that it works, allowing viewers to zip by sponsors, is the reason dark forces are trying to kill it, or at least force you to watch some ads while zipping past others. Viva la independent DVR!
November 8th, 2016 at 4:21:30 PM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
It seems to me I have two choices:

1) Obsessively follow every twitch in the election "results" (aka exit polls mixed with actual results), agonize with every setback and feel relief with every victory,

or

2) Ignore the whole thing until around 10 pm when the "results" (see above) will be more firm, then get the close-to-real projection in the morning.

I'm going with 2.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
November 9th, 2016 at 1:16:56 PM permalink
Nareed
Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people.
November 11th, 2016 at 2:15:03 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
My new ringtone

You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
November 11th, 2016 at 3:18:39 PM permalink
stinkingliberal
Threads: 17
Given that we're in the midst of a national conversation about hazardous substances, I'd like to posit that there is a single substance that is responsible for more human deaths than any other:

Testosterone.
November 11th, 2016 at 4:20:16 PM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
Quote: stinkingliberal
Given that we're in the midst of a national conversation about hazardous substances, I'd like to posit that there is a single substance that is responsible for more human deaths than any other:Testosterone.
And a genetic defect that involves all violent criminals: the Y chromosome.
November 11th, 2016 at 6:55:52 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Well Trump has probably got his secret decoder ring by now.

He's taken the super quick elevator to the "basement" (the bomb shelter)

He's seen the best compact secure communication center in the world. (Obama says the code words "Hope and change" and 1/4 of the oval office rotates into the wall, Obi Wan Kenobi shows up in a hologram as a digital assistant)

He's seen those other "aliens" with their big black eyes and triangular heads.

Nick Cage showed him the "National Treasure" in a video conference.

And of course he got the codes to the nuclear football. Did you know they are "ABCDEFG/PASSWORD/123456(your dog's name)(your birthday)" No one would ever guess.

~

Now I hope I'm not right about all of that, or I'll be getting a hasty visit from the Secret Service or worse.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
November 14th, 2016 at 4:41:42 AM permalink
odiousgambit
Threads: 154
Something keeps coming back to me since I saw a program about Stalin. What really stuck out for me was that Stalin was not liked too much by his contemporaries in the party, although recognized as loyal etc. So they gave him the job of General Secretary, thinking they were throwing him a bone but avoiding having him be too influential in the new government. You can understand that, pondering the job's title.

Well, it turns out the General Secretary controlled access, especially with the modes of communication of the day. So Stalin found that if he didn't like somebody, he could just make sure the guy never saw the more powerful people, wouldn't know when to come to the important secret meetings, etc. And Stalin got more and more powerful. It finally came to the point that the acknowledged leader of the Soviet Union was the General Secretary. Enshrined! And today, for China, the leader is officially General Secretary of the Central Committee of the Communist Party of China.

Obama's problems: I often think about who is controlling access. With Hillary, I think it is an obvious problem. And now we see Trump setting up his team. Who will control access?
I'm Still Standing, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah [it's an old guy chant for me]
November 15th, 2016 at 6:40:24 AM permalink
Nareed
If Trump suddenly died, I'd be so heartbroken that only dancing on his grave would make me feel better.
November 15th, 2016 at 12:06:07 PM permalink
Ayecarumba
Threads: 89
Quote: Nareed
If Trump suddenly died, I'd be so heartbroken that only dancing on his grave would make me feel better.

Careful... jokes like that are going to make it difficult for you to get to Las Vegas in the future...