Random Thought of the Day

October 21st, 2016 at 1:12:44 AM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Sharon Stone, but not quite the way I remember it.

You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
October 21st, 2016 at 6:17:56 AM permalink
buzzardknot
Threads: 7
Wilford Hall Hospital, Lackland AFB, named something else now. Was in USAF 1962-66. After basic training was scheduled for aerial photography. Did not take leave, no urge to go home, had warrants, then one day helped load Med Equip on trucks for Greenville, Mississipii. Then they loaded me too, 6 weeks medical term training, then off to Birmingham Alabama.
Full bird colonel in auditorium welcome us volunteers for medical field. NOT ME. I stand up, then 10 others out of over 100. get talked into a great career choice as Psychiatric aides. Bedpan jockeys for Psych ward. Worse yet, in USAF all patients have to go to cafeteria for all 3 meals, hungry or not. Must sign in . so kitchen gets credit for meals served, then go thru line, take EMPTY tray to table and sit there as others eat.
Anyway I become Medical electronic technican. Graduate first in class of 8. No overseas assignments. All in the south, I get first choice. Brooks school of Areospace medicine. Austronauts testing there, really cool. After a week am loaned for a day to Wilford Hall Hospital. Day becomes rest of tour. GRRR
Volunteered for Army warrant Officer program to become Helicopter pilot. Damn Must have 20-20 uncorrected. It was 1962, helicopter pilot, Vietnam, ducked a bullet, maybe.
April 15, 1966. Leaving my room, honorable discharge in hand, as rookie comes in. Says he gets out in 1970. I say we will have a man on moon by then. We both laugh.
October 31st, 2016 at 2:05:12 PM permalink
Face
Threads: 61
How does one become savvy with civil forfeiture laws?

I was pondering some things... like, say I become a coyote. Were I to become apprehended, I'd suppose it'd be a given that my car would be stolen by .gov. This is a correct assumption, yes? But say I rented a Camry from Hertz... would the property then be safe because it wasn't mine?

Same question, different property. Say I'm King Coyote, I done coyoted so many Ontarians into the US they'll write a book on me. I suppose if I got nicked putting them up for the night at home, my house would be in danger. Correct, yes? But what if my stops were done at a Motel 6? No forfeiture ability there, right?

Asking for a friend...
Be bold and risk defeat, or be cautious and encourage it.
October 31st, 2016 at 2:07:05 PM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
Quote: Face

Google The Institute Of Justice. They're very active against civil forfeiture laws.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
October 31st, 2016 at 2:21:53 PM permalink
Face
Threads: 61
Lol, that's where I came from before posting here =)

But I'm not looking to see incidents and efforts. Basically, I was looking to do for this what I did for guns, and that is have statute in front of me to read and understand so that I know (almost) everything there is to know. Like, literal .gov docs, the laws on the books, and be able to peruse them, as opposed to some layman with a blog or "internet lawyer".

Though what I've seen so far in my hunt, it appears it might not matter. Seems it's just a vague legislation where no one knows and nothing is safe =/
Be bold and risk defeat, or be cautious and encourage it.
October 31st, 2016 at 2:32:45 PM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
Lol, that's where I came from before posting here =)

That proves it: I know everything ;)

Quote:
Like, literal .gov docs, the laws on the books, and be able to peruse them, as opposed to some layman with a blog or "internet lawyer".

They vary by state, and maybe even by county/city. But I'm surprised the IoJ doesn't have them up. If they don't, I suppose you could email them for more info.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
October 31st, 2016 at 3:58:40 PM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
By being caught.

Note: It is up to Hertz to assert its rights.

Note: Forfeiture laws are used as a club... you may be more concerned with avoiding criminal charges or worse criminal charges, you also may find that your funds to hire a lawyer have been seized as well.

Never used your home as a waystop? PROVE IT. Never rested at your home and then went out to smuggle Ontarians into the USA? Never answered your cell phone while you were inside your home? Want to consult records that in your home to fight the seizure? Fat chance.

Seizure is often the sole motivation for the arrest. They don't want you... but your car, your home, your land... now that is good money that comes back to them directly. So is the out of state property that you bought wth the proceeds of a conspiracy, so is your race car and tools and fish tank and fish. And even those worms and mushrooms .... all convertible to good honest cash for the police dept.

You are often dealing with what is quite a lucrative side line for an entire police department.... you think you are going to win??
November 1st, 2016 at 1:50:04 AM permalink
rxwine
But say I rented a Camry from Hertz... would the property then be safe because it wasn't mine?

When I rent a car there is a clause about illegal use.

I have a feeling the cops still take the car and that clause gives the rental company the right to hold you responsible.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
November 1st, 2016 at 1:56:23 AM permalink
rxwine
I suppose you could smuggle by bus, subway, train. Nothing to confiscate. Maybe by uber as well.
November 1st, 2016 at 2:15:31 AM permalink
rxwine
Find an item to smuggle which has a very small penalty. Make sure you have lots of it in your car. If you get pulled over and it looks like they are going to call the dog team on you, get nervous and confess that you were smuggling the low penalty item. With luck, they never bring the dogs and never check for false panels where the real smuggling item is being kept.