Quote: rxwine
Plus you can fully interact.
With a toilet bowl? No thanks.
December 8th, 2016 at 8:34:36 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Quote: Fleastiff
With a toilet bowl? No thanks.

No sense of adventure there Fleastiff? Actually I had a T-Rex stomp down a virtual museum, roared at me and blew spittle. Then walked right over me. Found myself on top of a skyscraper, standing just next to the edge. Got a tiny bit of vertigo from that.

I didn't do the demo where you use the new hand controls though. Probably should have.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
December 9th, 2016 at 8:50:17 AM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
Damn you, 2016!

Can't you take The Orange Man instead?
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
December 12th, 2016 at 12:35:07 PM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
Not an Onion headline (*):

"Half of all Trump Voters thought they were voting for Donald Duck."

(*) This statement is 100% true.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
December 12th, 2016 at 3:08:30 PM permalink
Ayecarumba
Threads: 89
If you're folks are white immigrants from South Africa, and you were born in the USA, are you able to check the "African-American" box when it comes time to apply for college scholarships or other traditional "minority" benefits?
December 12th, 2016 at 4:27:42 PM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
Actually I understand that many people in the US who reveal they are from South Africa get annoyed when asked How is it that you are not black?
December 12th, 2016 at 6:20:09 PM permalink
kenarman
Threads: 14
African American should include many Arabs as well since I'm pretty sure Egypt is part of Africa as are many other Moslem states. I like the older and still accepted spelling, Muslim was a loose weave fabric when I learned how to spell.
"but if you make yourselves sheep, the wolves will eat you." Benjamin Franklin
December 12th, 2016 at 6:33:39 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Wondering how integrated everyone's childhood was? Mine was so WASPish the only different person we had in my school classes was one Jewish kid.

This time of year he could do a show & tell on the menorah, and many of us looked at the whole thing as if it was from an alien world.

Of course, network TV was the only real outside world, and even that was fairly narrow stuff. Leave it to Beaver or Ozzie and Harriet was just confirming what you already knew.

Blacks were mostly in rhymes, and not usually nice ones. Hispanics -- cannot even remember seeing one even in the stores. Asians? Nope.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
December 12th, 2016 at 7:37:00 PM permalink
kenarman
Threads: 14
Quote: rxwine
Wondering how integrated everyone's childhood was? Mine was so WASPish the only different person we had in my school classes was one Jewish kid.

This time of year he could do a show & tell on the menorah, and many of us looked at the whole thing as if it was from an alien world.

Of course, network TV was the only real outside world, and even that was fairly narrow stuff. Leave it to Beaver or Ozzie and Harriet was just confirming what you already knew.

Blacks were mostly in rhymes, and not usually nice ones. Hispanics -- cannot even remember seeing one even in the stores. Asians? Nope.

My high school was pretty much all white. A good sprinkling of Catholics so WASP it wasn't. There were lots of Indians (no longer politically correct) but they went to school in the now infamous local residential school. We had a reasonable number of Punjabi's but they were first generation immigrants so no kids around yet. A few Asians, Chinese and Japanese, the later were forced to move here during the war and some of them attended the school.
"but if you make yourselves sheep, the wolves will eat you." Benjamin Franklin
December 15th, 2016 at 2:00:27 PM permalink
Face
Threads: 61
To answer above, my town is 60/40 white/native. There's been a surge of black folk with the new halfway houses and rehab centers that opened on the prison property, but we're talking probably double digits. Other than my town, the most "diverse" boasts a white pop. of 94%. Even going several towns over, it's just 98% after 96% after 97% and on and on.

On topic, how come using your stove to compliment your furnace is rife with a multitude of CO warnings, yet roasting a turkey for 6 and a half hours is A-OK?
Be bold and risk defeat, or be cautious and encourage it.