Random Thought of the Day

October 1st, 2017 at 5:28:14 PM permalink
kenarman
Threads: 14
Quote: Evenbob
Really?

Dumbest States (from dumbest to least dumb)

Hawaii.
Nevada.
Mississippi.
Alabama.
Florida.
South Carolina.
West Virginia.
Louisiana.

http://klaq.com/states-ranked-from-smartest-to-dumbest/

6 Southern states at the very bottom. Hawaii
is at the top because of the natives, stupidest
people I ever met in the 6 months I lived+
there.

I think I will go with the PSU Michael A. McDaniel's published paper that I used rather than the Washington Post anti Trump article you linked too. Surprised you linked to an anti-Trump article.
"but if you make yourselves sheep, the wolves will eat you." Benjamin Franklin
October 1st, 2017 at 8:11:10 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: kenarman
I think I will go with the PSU Michael A. McDaniel's published paper

You gave no link so are we supposed to guess? There
are a bunch of them and they're all different.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
October 1st, 2017 at 8:20:40 PM permalink
kenarman
Threads: 14
I can't get the link function to work with the address. Maybe something to do with the extra = in the address. Here is the address

http://citeseerx.ist.psu.edu/viewdoc/download?doi=10.1.1.500.936&rep=rep1&type=pdf

You can also find several blog sites that give his results since the paper is rather long.
"but if you make yourselves sheep, the wolves will eat you." Benjamin Franklin
October 1st, 2017 at 9:17:51 PM permalink
Evenbob
Quote: kenarman
I can't get the link function to work with the address. .

The states in the list I posted are in the
same place on your list, at the bottom.
FL, AL, MS, SC, LA, WV, TN, GA, all
Southern states. HI and NV is there
too.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
October 6th, 2017 at 8:07:26 AM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
Facebook to create 100 jobs in Richmond, VA but will receive 18 MM in tax breaks. Does't seem such a good deal at all.
October 6th, 2017 at 1:12:37 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
The horizontal bars are straight.

https://twitter.com/martinstaylor/status/894512566629740544/photo/1?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw&ref_url=http%3A%2F%2Ftime.com%2F4895429%2Fviral-optical-illusion%2F
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
October 6th, 2017 at 1:42:09 PM permalink
Evenbob
Quote: rxwine

Good one. FrG take note, the world is often
not as it seems. Just because you think you
see a creation doesn't mean there's a creator.
October 14th, 2017 at 4:24:48 AM permalink
odiousgambit
Threads: 154
Quote: Evenbob
Good one. FrG take note, the world is often
not as it seems. Just because you think you
see a creation doesn't mean there's a creator.

Holy Cow, Bob, is anything else ever on your mind? I have decided the chances you were molested as a kid by some priest or preacher is way up there.
I'm Still Standing, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah [it's an old guy chant for me]
October 14th, 2017 at 4:32:39 AM permalink
odiousgambit
Threads: 154
I like lost in the wilderness stories, although the below one isn't that good, more touchy-feely than anything.

I wasn't surprised to see one component of the story though, having read or watched plenty of these,

the searching plane or helicopter will fly right overhead, or very close, and the lost person or people will go nuts with excitement... only to watch the searchers fly off obviously not having seen a thing

https://www.fieldandstream.com/tragic-story-hunter-disappears?CMPID=ene101317&spMailingID=31002665&spUserID=NTIzMjcwMDg3MDQ1S0&spJobID=1141576445&spReportId=MTE0MTU3NjQ0NQS2
I'm Still Standing, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah [it's an old guy chant for me]
October 14th, 2017 at 7:22:42 AM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
Hollywood always has people shouting at the distant helicopter even though helicopters create gale force winds and could never hear anyone shouting at them.

Cars and airplanes are more visible than people even if wrecked out of normal shape or obscured by shadow.

There are software programs that take aerial photos and reconstruct planes or cars from debris.

Pilots have to fly a search grid and the observer can NOT stare at the ground but must constantly move his eyes and shift his focus or he will miss things.

I know many of the "Kim searchers" and actively worked on that search. The Burger King franchise owner who was flying his own helicopter and spotted the wife and kids later took specialized training and bought special equipment and joined the Sheriff's search and rescue posse. I also know of the other search referred to wherein a man stayed with the vehicle because that was the rule but never realized that the road he was on was gated and someone had closed and locked the gate after he had passed it but without checking the length of the road, so no searchers entered the area at all. He wrote in a journal until too weak to leave; had he simply left the vehicle and walked out he would have been exhausted but alive.