Random Thought of the Day

October 26th, 2017 at 1:29:32 PM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
This is really odd.

I had a friend who hated cold weather. I mean Despised it with a capital "d." One thing he complained about, was that he found it "too cold to sleep."

Now, I understand it being "too hot to sleep." The discomfort from heat aside, you also sweat and that's very uncomfortable. But when it's cold, you just wrap a couple more blankets around you and curl up nice and warm.

Well, yesterday the temperature dropped rather harshly in the evening, getting colder through the night. I woke around 4 am or so shivering. I had only one blanket, and that had seemed enough at 10:30 PM. So for once in my life, it was too cold to sleep. then I got another blanket, curled up nice and warm, and slept until the alarm began its daily ritual of p***g me off.

According to the weather widget on the phone, it was around 3 C at that time, and only 5 C at 5:45 (between 38 and 41 in the F****g scale<g>)
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
October 26th, 2017 at 2:53:42 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Sleep research shows the optimal room
temp for best sleep is 55 f. What that is
in c is not my concern.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
October 26th, 2017 at 2:56:59 PM permalink
JimRockford
Threads: 2
Quote: Evenbob
Sleep research shows the optimal room
temp for best sleep is 55 f. What that is
in c is not my concern.
13 c and it's too efing cold.
The mind hungers for that on which it feeds.
October 26th, 2017 at 2:58:51 PM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
Quote: JimRockford

13 C is a damned effective A/C.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
October 26th, 2017 at 3:08:02 PM permalink
Evenbob

60 is closer, my bedroom is always 62.
They find that really warm bedrooms
make people fatter, we lose most of
our weight during sleep. We lose less
of it the warmer the room is.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
October 26th, 2017 at 4:20:56 PM permalink
kenarman
Threads: 14

My automatic thermostat is set for 56F at night. Anything above 60 is too hot for me. I hate sleeping in the summer because I am too cheap to use the AC at night to take it down that low and I am sheet on sheet off all night long. No duvet or blankets required.
"but if you make yourselves sheep, the wolves will eat you." Benjamin Franklin
October 26th, 2017 at 5:36:12 PM permalink
Evenbob
Quote: kenarman
My automatic thermostat is set for 56F at night. Anything above 60 is too hot for me. I hate sleeping in the summer because I am too cheap to use the AC at night to take it down that low and I am sheet on sheet off all night long. No duvet or blankets required.

I can't go to my friends house in
the winter. It's 80 degrees and
they all wear almost no clothes.
Yet they wear pajamas to bed,
and it's 80 in the bedroom.
Maybe that's why his wife weighs
250 pounds.
October 26th, 2017 at 7:04:02 PM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25
Quote: Evenbob
I can't go to my friends house in
the winter. It's 80 degrees and
they all wear almost no clothes.
Yet they wear pajamas to bed,
and it's 80 in the bedroom.
Maybe that's why his wife weighs
250 pounds.
I taught my dog to open, [and later to close] the door. One night I woke up and I could easily see my breath, it was in the thirty's in my bedroom. The dog had decided to go out, probably to go pee, and came back in. He hadn't learned to close the door yet. It was really cold, as I sleep pretty undressed. Also had wood heat, so no thermostat to kick on. Dog seemed ok. I started locking the door at night.
The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW
October 26th, 2017 at 7:42:29 PM permalink
JimRockford
Threads: 2
Quote: kenarman

You northern folks are suited to your climate. In central Texas: Summer, 77F, no shirt, sheet, ceiling fan on. The A/C cycles to keep it that cool. Winter, 66F, t-shirt, light blanket.
The mind hungers for that on which it feeds.
October 26th, 2017 at 8:38:18 PM permalink
Evenbob
You northern folks are suited to your climate. In central Texas: Summer, 77F, no shirt, sheet, ceiling fan on. The A/C cycles to keep it that cool. Winter, 66F, t-shirt, light blanket.

Texas, do people live there on purpose
or are they sentenced there, like punishment
for something. The two times I was there
it was like breathing thru a wet towel.