Random Thought of the Day

February 13th, 2015 at 8:31:14 PM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
Australia is in even worse of a situation. Isolated for centuries and its nearby neighbors are desperately poor, so its not just people arriving on jet planes but also in rickety boats that can import dangerous species.

They spend millions each year on their "rabbit fence" because once rabbits were introduced, they had no natural predators. Cane toads are a problem not only for pets and wild animals but also on the highways.

I don't know if the Dole Pineapple Company still plays a major role in Hawaiian law enforcement but I doubt pineapple pests can get into Hawaii. Local industry always plays a major role in keeping out threats. Those Burmese pythons in the Everglades don't seem to be doing that much damage.... yet.
February 13th, 2015 at 9:53:25 PM permalink
Face
Threads: 61
The cane toads of Australia are the first thing I though of when rx mentioned bringing in stuff to combat a problem. It's just bad news way more often than it's not.

Maybe it's just up to us to adapt. I remember the fearmongering about the snakehead, it was going to eat every body of water empty. Now, we've changed our attitude to where it's a sport fish, bringing in the same benefits as bass, from financial for gear and licenses, to money for tourism, to added items on restaurant menus.

Maybe the python will be the same. It's a huge source of meat, not difficult to catch (just difficult to find), provides material for clothing... maybe an industrial fellow could find a living in them. Who knows?

Re: maggots, if you tried, I think you'd find that maggots aren't all that gross. It's where they're found that's usually nasty. I look forward to a hatch as it makes feeding my fish a million times easier. Use for bait, use for food, they're even life saving for those with blood flow problems. Spend some time learning and knowing them and I think all your fears would fade away.
Be bold and risk defeat, or be cautious and encourage it.
February 13th, 2015 at 10:39:59 PM permalink
Fleastiff
Maggots eat dead flesh and so are often used to clean wounds.
Leeches have been used by boxers for years to drain blood.

Somehow however I don't think I ever want to use either.
February 13th, 2015 at 10:57:32 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Quote: Face
Maybe the python will be the same. It's a huge source of meat, not difficult to catch (just difficult to find), provides material for clothing... maybe an industrial fellow could find a living in them. Who knows?

I'll say one thing for these shoes, they are flashy.

You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
February 14th, 2015 at 11:41:47 AM permalink
odiousgambit
Threads: 154
the internet seems to have a lot of jokes about the shark brain looking like a woman's reproductive equipment

as far as I can tell, to the facts of the matter, the resemblance is not made up

I'm Still Standing, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah [it's an old guy chant for me]
February 16th, 2015 at 8:49:56 AM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
I'm thinking about getting an Ankh pendant, a rather big one in silver or a smaller one in gold, to wear on a chain along with Doc and Mrs. Doc's tar heel I already wear.

The Ankh is the Ancient Egyptian symbol for eternal life. Ideally it should be gold, because gold doesn't tarnish.

On the other hand I might get one I can fit to a charm bracelet (and a charm bracelet as well).
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
February 16th, 2015 at 9:05:47 AM permalink
Fleastiff
Quote: Nareed
The Ankh is the Ancient Egyptian symbol for eternal life.
I thought from the Easter thread you and Tom Paine did not believe in such a thing.
February 16th, 2015 at 1:03:34 PM permalink
rxwine
Random for today.

Hurrah for the US being #1.

Quote:
The Guinness Book of Records lists two smelliest substances. One is "US Government Standard Bathroom Malodor"; a mixture of eight chemicals with a stench resembling human feces, only much stronger, designed to test the efficacy of deodorizers and air fresheners. Another one, "Who me?", is a mixture of five sulfur-containing chemicals and smells like rotting food and carcasses.[1]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stink_bomb
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
February 16th, 2015 at 2:19:06 PM permalink
Ayecarumba
Threads: 89
Quote: rxwine
Random for today.

Quote:
The Guinness Book of Records lists two smelliest substances. One is "US Government Standard Bathroom Malodor"; a mixture of eight chemicals with a stench resembling human feces, only much stronger, designed to test the efficacy of deodorizers and air fresheners. Another one, "Who me?", is a mixture of five sulfur-containing chemicals and smells like rotting food and carcasses.[1]

I thought there was a giant corpse flower that stank for miles. There's also the Durian fruit in Southeast Asia that is illegal to carry on public transportation due to its strong odor. I wonder how these rank?
February 16th, 2015 at 2:55:16 PM permalink
rxwine
Quote: Ayecarumba
Quote: rxwine
Random for today.

Quote:

I thought there was a giant corpse flower that stank for miles. There's also the Durian fruit in Southeast Asia that is illegal to carry on public transportation due to its strong odor. I wonder how these rank?

I also read in the last week, with the new comet data, it turns out they stink. I suppose you need atmosphere for best results although astronauts have commented that space has a smell.

And napalm smells like victory.