Random Thought of the Day

January 14th, 2015 at 12:45:18 PM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
Quote: Ayecarumba
Why do maps always have the North Pole at the top center?

Why not? Some pole makes sense on top. And it was Europeans who conquered the world and spread their civilization to other lands. That's why their naming, mapping, numbering, etc. conventions were adopted.

Quote:
For that matter, why is North the "top" and South the "bottom" of the map? How would society be different if what we currently call the North was historically always found on the lower half of the map?

Because if Europeans had drawn it that way, they'd have fallen down off the Earth ;)

Seriously, I do wonder how people reconciled a round Earth, and the world was known to be round since ancient times, with the instinctive feel that those below would inevitably fall off. Newton was a long time in coming.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
January 16th, 2015 at 12:00:42 AM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Quick car wash. Quack.

You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
January 19th, 2015 at 2:33:48 PM permalink
rxwine
Because pennies are often different colors you can do this with them.

Now the real trick is to create one of those fine mosaics.

You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
January 23rd, 2015 at 10:33:48 PM permalink
rxwine
Quote:
Stomp on the gas in a new Ford Mustang or F-150 and you’ll hear a meaty, throaty rumble — the same style of roar that Americans have associated with auto power and performance for decades.

It’s a sham. The engine growl in some of America’s best-selling cars and trucks is actually a finely tuned bit of lip-syncing, boosted through special pipes or digitally faked altogether.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/business/economy/americas-best-selling-cars-and-trucks-are-built-on-lies-the-rise-of-fake-engine-noise/2015/01/21/6db09a10-a0ba-11e4-b146-577832eafcb4_story.html
January 24th, 2015 at 1:02:01 AM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
Fake engine noise, fake new car smell, fake make you feel like a truck driver when you are hauling ten pounds of groceries six miles, fake sticker prices, but you get to drive to a Truck Rodeo which is fake too.
January 24th, 2015 at 1:37:17 AM permalink
odiousgambit
Threads: 154
Quote: rxwine
americas-best-selling-cars-and-trucks-are-built-on-lies-the-rise-of-fake-engine-noise

once the consumer knows this stuff, it's all over a lot of times ... in this case, we shall see

reminds me of how the big breweries put out "fake" microbrews, fake in that the consumer is supposed to look at the label and imagine some small local brewery has put out the product. This doesn't work, as the typical microbrew drinker really cares that it is authentic, reads up on stuff, talks to other like-minded beer drinkers ...
I'm Still Standing, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah [it's an old guy chant for me]
January 24th, 2015 at 2:20:17 AM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
Alot of those brewery restaurants have equipment just for show... they truck in the beer.

Remember Bartles and James.... two old guys who bought a truck and took out a second mortgage and wrote away for a Harvard mail order MBA degree.... It was the Gallo wine company.

Now alot of breweries are making very low alcohol beers.

Soon we will return to a sort of oatmeal gruel usually served to drunks with totally shot stomachs and call it beer.
January 27th, 2015 at 11:19:37 PM permalink
rxwine
Pertaining to bankruptcy of Skymall and some of their oddball products. I could see hiding this in your backyard with a motion detector and a recording of low growl would probably scare the ***k out of wanna-be prowlers. In the dark it would look real enough. The growl would just be the kicker.

January 27th, 2015 at 11:24:09 PM permalink
rxwine
Actually, it reminds me of another thing that happened about a month ago when I getting some exercise at night. Your mind can react to shapes that are primitive but dangerous.

In a parking lot I was walking along and my eye caught a S shape on ground almost as I was on it. Turned out to be a piece of cable, but my mind registered snake until I saw it clearly. I jumped back at first.

As I recall in another thread, more people die of snake bites in the world than anything else.
January 28th, 2015 at 12:06:57 AM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: rxwine
A

As I recall in another thread, more people die of snake bites in the world than anything else.

About 20,000 people die from snake bites
a year, worldwide. Want to guess how
many die in car wrecks?
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.