Random Thought of the Day

September 25th, 2022 at 9:52:32 AM permalink
Gandler
Threads: 27
Quote: SOOPOO
I call BS, I think! Maybe your Insurance (Medicare mostly) that may pay that amount, but the elderly couple isn’t forking out that much $$$.

Its very believable to me. How long is retirement? 12 years. Some people far longer (that is using average retirement age against average death age, and the trend now is people are retiring younger and living longer).

I know some retired people who pay over 500 USD a month just on prescriptions (Medicare prescription coverage is optional, and not great even if you have it), add in co-pays, Dental costs -which when you are old you tend to need a lot more dental procedures on top of standard checks and cleanings (no Medicare Dental coverage).

So, for an individual who is 65+, 15k a year out of pocket for medical expenses if they only have baseline Medicare is not unbelievable at all. In fact that is probably low end, assuming that they do not need some elaborate care.

And, then factor in nursing homes (which virtually no insurance covers, except for specific care insurance which most people do not have) for the last couple years of their life (which can be six figures per year just to live there plus whatever medical costs there are), and the figure above is actually quite low. Or even if they don't live in a nursing home if they get to a point where they need at a 24/7 care assistant in their home for a few years it can be almost as pricey (or even more depending on the level of care).

I would actually think 315k per couple is quite low, even for an individual that is probably on the low end especially when you factor long term care.
September 25th, 2022 at 3:15:52 PM permalink
DRich
Threads: 51
Quote: Gandler

And, then factor in nursing homes (which virtually no insurance covers, except for specific care insurance which most people do not have) for the last couple years of their life (which can be six figures per year just to live there plus whatever medical costs there are), and the figure above is actually quite low. Or even if they don't live in a nursing home if they get to a point where they need at a 24/7 care assistant in their home for a few years it can be almost as pricey (or even more depending on the level of care).

I am looking at about $8k per month to put my mother in a senior care center and that is without medical issues.
At my age a Life In Prison sentence is not much of a detrrent.
September 25th, 2022 at 6:56:24 PM permalink
missedhervee
Threads: 96
That's "the western way."

In Asia, don't the old ones usually live with and get cared for by the young ones?

Heck, I'm told the young ones even care about their opinion.

How did we get so topsy turvy?
September 25th, 2022 at 8:26:38 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Quote: missedhervee
That's "the western way."

In Asia, don't the old ones usually live with and get cared for by the young ones?

Heck, I'm told the young ones even care about their opinion.

How did we get so topsy turvy?

i hope if I end up in a nursing home or whatever the equivalent is in the future, I'm taken care of by robots. They don't get tired, complain, and would probably stick around and play cards.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
September 25th, 2022 at 8:55:27 PM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25
Quote: rxwine
i hope if I end up in a nursing home or whatever the equivalent is in the future, I'm taken care of by robots. They don't get tired, complain, and would probably stick around and play cards.
I was wondering if that was part of .gov's plan of what to do with all the immigrants? There is getting to be a lot of old folks that need care, and most of us don't have the extra 8k per month.

I had a dil that was a cn taking care of old folks in a home for awhile. The turnover is pretty high. The cn's get emotionally attached and a lot of the oldies drop out.
The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW
September 25th, 2022 at 8:57:39 PM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25
Quote: rxwine
I have long thought that much of the prison guarding could be automated. Especially for the spitters and the ones that throw pooh and urine at the guards. Just feed them by robot.
The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW
September 26th, 2022 at 5:30:01 PM permalink
DRich
Denver airport is about twice the size of the next biggest U.S. airport.
September 27th, 2022 at 8:17:35 AM permalink
SOOPOO
Threads: 22
Quote: DRich
Denver airport is about twice the size of the next biggest U.S. airport.

Vague. Is ‘size’ number of gates, acreage of entire airport, indoor space open to passengers, does height of the structures factor in?, do you count freight/cargo areas?
September 27th, 2022 at 1:52:59 PM permalink
DRich
Quote: SOOPOO
Vague. Is ‘size’ number of gates, acreage of entire airport, indoor space open to passengers, does height of the structures factor in?, do you count freight/cargo areas?

It is total size of airport property. I believe Denver was over 200 square kilometers.
October 22nd, 2022 at 6:48:32 AM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Trick or Treat.

You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?