Random Thought of the Day

August 11th, 2015 at 2:39:03 PM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
Quote: Face
If you push someone into a bottomless well, have you committed a crime? If so, which?

I think it's equivalent to stabbing someone with a unicorn.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
August 11th, 2015 at 2:39:23 PM permalink
Nareed
Gods don't kill people. People with gods kill people.
August 11th, 2015 at 2:57:00 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Quote: Face
If you push someone into a bottomless well, have you committed a crime? If so, which?

Could a color blind person get out of a vault when the combination is hidden in a color blind color chart. (I decided they can't)

(it's a vault with combo lock inside and out, before anyone asks)
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
August 11th, 2015 at 3:01:48 PM permalink
Face
Threads: 61
Quote: rxwine
Could a color blind person get out of a vault when the combination is hidden in a color blind color chart. (I decided they can't)

(it's a vault with combo lock inside and out, before anyone asks)

Sure, but I've unlocked locks without looking before. If you mean a good lock, like one that doesn't catch or click, and assuming you don't just brute force every combo, then no. All I see is a page of dots of similar shade.
Be bold and risk defeat, or be cautious and encourage it.
August 11th, 2015 at 3:19:53 PM permalink
rxwine
Not sure one could even push the unlocked door open on this one. Probably well-balanced. I wonder if they thought that was thick enough?

You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
August 12th, 2015 at 1:20:53 PM permalink
rxwine
I have an old software program which I downloaded from the author's site years ago. Every time I open it sends me personal messages, like checking with a version number I'm using and connecting to his site.

The author died a couple years back, so it always feels a little strange..
August 14th, 2015 at 1:02:15 PM permalink
rxwine
Old timey costumes were scarier than ones today. They all look demented.

http://tinyurl.com/q3a3ycq
August 14th, 2015 at 1:07:36 PM permalink
Nareed
"It's still too August to be Fall."
August 15th, 2015 at 12:56:58 PM permalink
rxwine
I don't know if this is a worthwhile maxim or not, and surely I'm not the first to think of it.

Any sufficiently primitive life on another planet will likely be hidden from us. For instance if some microbes exist, it will be pretty hard to detect until we can dig around a lot more -- even on Mars. How much easier to hide on distant planets on other stars?

The corollary to the above:

Any sufficiently advanced life could hide from us if it wanted. Assuming some life has advanced enough it could probably figure out ways to hide. And in fact, such might be necessary to survive possible unfriendly visitors.
August 15th, 2015 at 4:36:42 PM permalink
Nareed
Quote: rxwine
Any sufficiently primitive life on another planet will likely be hidden from us. For instance if some microbes exist, it will be pretty hard to detect until we can dig around a lot more -- even on Mars. How much easier to hide on distant planets on other stars?

It depends on how widespread the life is and how closely it matches earth life.

A world chock-full of bacteria would have a lot of free oxygen in its atmosphere. We should be able to measure the atmospheres of worlds around distant stars fairly soon, assuming it hasn't already been done.

Quote:
Any sufficiently advanced life could hide from us if it wanted. Assuming some life has advanced enough it could probably figure out ways to hide. And in fact, such might be necessary to survive possible unfriendly visitors.

They could hide their technology, but not their atmosphere.