Random Thought of the Day

August 23rd, 2015 at 3:35:42 AM permalink
odiousgambit
Threads: 154
Quote: rxwine
(image)

The dude on the left is smiling because he just realized the dude in back fell down.
I'm Still Standing, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah [it's an old guy chant for me]
August 23rd, 2015 at 3:42:58 AM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
Quote: odiousgambit
The dude on the left is smiling because he just realized the dude in back fell down.
from the short tripod, I think it more likely that he just got up. either way, its the old joke: I don't have to outrun the bear, I just have to outrun you.

they are supposed to stand their ground and make noise to show that they are human... but perhaps turning their backs and taking flight shows that they are human too. bears can out run an olympic athlete but bears are also most likely to make it "devil take the hindmost".
August 24th, 2015 at 12:43:49 AM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Saw another story about a shark attack and was wondering if a simple ankle bracelet with a flashing LED would make a shark aware you weren't actually a seal or some other food.

I've heard they may be confusing humans with other fish food.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
August 24th, 2015 at 2:07:23 AM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
Saw another story about a shark attack and was wondering if a simple ankle bracelet with a flashing LED would make a shark aware you weren't actually a seal or some other food.

I've heard they may be confusing humans with other fish food.

correct as to the confusion or no need to "read the label" first. I've heard most sharks don't care for human meat anyway, but once they've tasted the arm or a few bites of thigh meat, it doesn't much matter to the swimmer if the shark enjoys the meal or not.

I don't think flashing LED would help as sharks go for the 'dying' and flashing is too close to splashing around in a death throw?

what would definitely help would be a powerful magnet...just be sure which pole is repel and which is attract.

Note: Magnet would be a real heavy ankle weight so as a last resort your kick would sure pack a wallop on the shark or the insured spouse.
August 24th, 2015 at 7:31:18 AM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346

I can picture Jaws thinking "Mmm, shiny food."
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
August 25th, 2015 at 7:19:41 AM permalink
Nareed
Happy 20th birthday, Windows 95!
August 28th, 2015 at 11:29:25 AM permalink
Nareed
We need to rename cell phones something else. after all, they're not really phones any more, not primarily. They're tiny, connected computers with an app that lets them make phone calls.
August 28th, 2015 at 1:36:08 PM permalink
rxwine
This song reminds me of late night driving where I have the roof off my del sol and driving 80+ on the intersate. When I wasn't actually sleepy, otherwise, I might be playing something more bangin' like Highway to Hell. But I still have it turned loud that I can easily hear it over all the wind noise. More like smooth driving music. Christopher Cross "Sailing" works a similar effect.

You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
August 29th, 2015 at 4:26:52 AM permalink
odiousgambit
Threads: 154
sometimes I think I am the only person on Earth bothered by something. Lately it has been seeing a "Live" indication on TV [posted in a box lower right like you see with station ID or whatever] ... and they are showing something that is *not* Live.

Another one is re-showing, say, a baseball game without indicating that it is *not* a live broadcast.

I have never heard anyone else complain about these things, so I guess it is 'just me.' Drives me nuts.
I'm Still Standing, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah [it's an old guy chant for me]
August 30th, 2015 at 9:19:27 PM permalink
rxwine
Suppose you woke up in the morning to hear a country (probably the US) had launched a massive biological attack over the major portion of ISIS controlled territory.

A genetically produced CHS viral. Produced in several strains to reduce natural immunity

Quote:
Chronic fatigue syndrome, or CFS, is a debilitating and complex disorder characterized by profound fatigue that is not improved by bed rest and that may be worsened by physical or mental activity. Symptoms affect several body systems and may include weakness, muscle pain, impaired memory and/or mental concentration, and insomnia, which can result in reduced participation in daily activities.

In a matter of days the entire area is basically neutralized. Forces move in with the treatment, which of course, has infected nearly everyone good or evil.

Of course, anything developed could be used for more evil at a some other time or place.

But maybe all you can do is get there first, then try to develop countermeasures.