Random Thought of the Day

November 7th, 2015 at 9:43:12 AM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25
Quote: Nareed
How small should a minority be in order that the majority may trample its rights and lives with impunity?
There are multiple factors in play here.

The minority has to have a small enough influence, that the predator sub class in the majority doesn't sustain any damage.
The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW
November 7th, 2015 at 10:06:04 AM permalink
kenarman
Threads: 14
Quote: petroglyph
There are multiple factors in play here.

The minority has to have a small enough influence, that the predator sub class in the majority doesn't sustain any damage.

I would say it is the exact opposite from your statement. The minority must convince the majority to give or allow them to have their rights. This may occur almost by default if it does not influence the general population much. If it involves a lot of change that a large percentage of the population do not want to happen to give the minority their right then takes some lobbying to get the majority to agree. This lobbying can be successful because the majority becomes convinced that it is to their economic advantage. It also can occur if the minority convinces the majority that the change is some how morally right. Morals of course can be very different between cultures, thus the never ending wars.
"but if you make yourselves sheep, the wolves will eat you." Benjamin Franklin
November 7th, 2015 at 7:45:11 PM permalink
petroglyph
Quote: kenarman
I would say it is the exact opposite from your statement.
Could it be that if my statement is "exactly opposite" then maybe it isn't our answers that differ, but in how we interpret the question?
November 7th, 2015 at 8:18:07 PM permalink
kenarman
Threads: 14
Could it be that if my statement is "exactly opposite" then maybe it isn't our answers that differ, but in how we interpret the question?

Maybe we do get to same place. I mainly disagreed with the "small influence" of the minority. The minority must have enough influence to convince the majority to accept them, or be invisible.
"but if you make yourselves sheep, the wolves will eat you." Benjamin Franklin
November 10th, 2015 at 7:18:14 AM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
In lieu of staring yet another other aviation thread:

How about a twin-aisle narrow(ish) body on a 2-2-2 configuration, stretched beyond the longest B737 and A320, with three engines, with one class seating for 216-252 passengers (that's 36 rows at a decent pitch or 42 for the fashionable sardine-can standard)?

The purpose of the twin aisle is twofold: 1) to eliminate middle seats and 2) to provide more room for passengers to move about and even hang around by the galleys and lavatories.

The third engine (mounted with an S-duct on a high tail) is meant to keep current engine designs for narrow bodies, rather than developing a new type mid-way the current ones and those for wide bodies.

Narrow bodies are the vast majority of planes flying today. As they've increased in range and efficiency, they're being used for ever longer flights that, in the recent past, would have required refueling stops or a wide body. This is fine as far as it goes, but it's far more uncomfortable to endure 5 to 7 hours in an A320 than in a wide body. Add the sparse pitch common in most airlines, or absent in some like Spirit, and today's passengers in economy have it rather rough on mid haul flights.

Three-engine planes are perceived to have a "troubled" history. This isn't really so. Think of the very popular 727, the venerable classic Ford Tri-motor, and the Lockheed L-1011. The DC-10 suffered from design flaws which caused several accidents, and the follow-on model MD-11 proved problematic for many carriers. There's nothing inherently bad, dangerous or unsafe for a three-engine plane at all.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
November 10th, 2015 at 10:29:40 AM permalink
petroglyph
How small should a minority be in order that the majority may trample its rights and lives with impunity?
Was this rhetorical?
November 10th, 2015 at 12:34:39 PM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
Was this rhetorical?

It's meant to be thought-provoking.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
November 10th, 2015 at 12:57:04 PM permalink
Face
Threads: 61

Given that a body consists of a head, torso, and limbs, is your butt grouped with limbs (legs) or torso (back)?

Serious question. An answer of "both" is not acceptable.
Be bold and risk defeat, or be cautious and encourage it.
November 10th, 2015 at 1:30:18 PM permalink
petroglyph
Quote: Face
Given that a body consists of a head, torso, and limbs, is your butt grouped with limbs (legs) or torso (back)?

Serious question. An answer of "both" is not acceptable.

Aren't gluteous maximus muscles the ones that drive the legs? If I'm am scoping out an attractive woman and admiring her "trunk" my eyes often will go right to the health of the breasts? HTH

So I went to an old guy support group last night and they were reminisceing about the old cars they used to have, from the 30's to the 70's, with nearly glossed over pupils. I had to snap them out of it. They were all agreeing that they wished they hadn't sold the old relics and still had them.

One guy says, I wish I had my old Studebaker, and another says, I wish I had my Packard. I come up with, " I just wish I could still participate in the sex we had in those cars". Chuckle from crowd, and one ole guy perks up and says "front seat or back"? The new generation doesn't realize how many kids were conceived at drive in theaters.
November 10th, 2015 at 1:34:47 PM permalink
petroglyph
It's a lot easier to just give an opinion