Random Thought of the Day

November 19th, 2015 at 9:53:48 AM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Quote: petroglyph
It amazes me how many times we are all told that they are recording "every keystroke", and it goes right over peoples heads.

My trade magazine has articles from people that worked at the facility as well as photos.

It is announced over and over that police can listen to cell conversations and criminals get all slack jawed when the cops how up, "this is your sign".

The French are our allies and their secret service are world renowned as well. I can't help but wonder why attacks like the one's in Paris happen and if the tax payers don't deserve a refund.

Even if communication was mouth to ear, that stuff doesn't happen in a vacuum.

I take the opposite view
With the number of keystrokes close to infinity
Its amazing if they are actually able to learn about any terrorist attacks in advance.
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
November 19th, 2015 at 10:16:17 AM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Quote: petroglyph
The French are our allies and their secret service are world renowned as well. I can't help but wonder why attacks like the one's in Paris happen and if the tax payers don't deserve a refund.

But once they ID'd some of these guys who were killed, they should have had a whole little map from all the guys on lists to all their immediate connections, and any other connections on the watch list. That's where all the data and computer tech become real handy.

They may be part of the reason they were able to get leads and move in on accomplices already. Up to then, they had a bunch of people who they only identified as worth watching.

The initial prevention is the hard part. Some police have started using a system they used in Iraq, that IDs gang members 2 at a time. Every time at least two individuals are stopped together, their relationship is noted. You can eventually get a spider web of connections. The only way to avoid it is never be caught with another gang member at the same time.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
November 19th, 2015 at 10:27:38 AM permalink
rxwine
...not sure if it was in first 24hrs or not, but they already had id'd an attacker from one of his blown off fingers when he blew himself up. It's likely they had a list of associates as soon as they had his identity.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
November 19th, 2015 at 11:11:21 AM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
Quote: terapined
A couple was moving ahead of people in line saying they needed to get through security faster or they would miss their flight
I let them pass me
Later I noticed that same couple was on my flight.

Some people are nervous and think they'll miss their flight if they're not at the gate at lest one hour early. Some airlines encourage this. Yesterday for a flight leaving at 12:40, the stated time for boarding was 11:50. That's absurd. No one boards almost an hour before push back.

On the other hand, some people will lie and feign panic in order to pass more quickly through a long line. More likely they're late to get to the lounge, or to get lunch or dinner.

Pick one :)
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
November 19th, 2015 at 11:30:33 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Quote: rxwine
Yeah, doesn't even sound like a great idea. Waiting underground in a box. What could go wrong?

There was a great fear of being buried prematurely in the 19th century, to the extent that there was actually vaults that could be purchased just in case.

November 19th, 2015 at 11:43:44 AM permalink
rxwine
Yeah, second spoiler to what could go wrong being buried. The guy next to him was the one he was calling for.
November 20th, 2015 at 1:24:57 PM permalink
rxwine
Does a 46 year old Gwen Stefani get away with dressing like she could be 17?

If she doesn't, I don't know anyone that does.
November 20th, 2015 at 2:25:09 PM permalink
Face
Threads: 61
That's Gwen?

She's almost 50?!
Be bold and risk defeat, or be cautious and encourage it.
November 21st, 2015 at 6:07:19 AM permalink
odiousgambit
Threads: 154
Quote: Pacomartin
There was a great fear of being buried prematurely in the 19th century

There are those who claim today that the modern practice of embalming everyone, and ASAP too, grew out of this, and it is to make sure you are dead.
I'm Still Standing, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah [it's an old guy chant for me]
November 22nd, 2015 at 4:23:46 AM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
I had a really weird dream.

To begin with, I was arriving at an airport and I saw my flight take off. The man driving me (and I've no idea who he was) tells me "Don't worry, you can still get on."

Next I rush to a gate and find I don't have my boarding pass or passport with me. I hand the gate agent something like a SIM chip. She looks at it and says "Thank you. Have a nice flight." I tell her I don't have my passport and she says "Do you have any other ID."

"Sure," I reply.

"Then use that," she tells me, "but you'll need your passport for the return flight."

I say, "That's ok. I can have it sent up."

"Good. But hurry or you won't be able to catch your flight."

WTF??
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER