Cooking thread

January 8th, 2014 at 1:58:48 PM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
I tried an odd chicken marinade using (Greek) yogurt and spices. The result was pretty good, only I wish I had used boneless chicken breasts (and fresh garlic, too). At least it was easy and I was pressed for time:

2 whole chicken breasts (halved and have the butcher do it; meat cleavers look rather dangerous)
2 containers Greek yogurt
1 teaspooon garlic powder
1 teaspoon fine herbs (crushed)
1/3 teaspoon turmeric
1 Tbsp olive oil

Mix the ingredients and whisk them well. You may want to use a hand mixer if the yogurt's too thick (next week I'm trying Greek yogurt and light jocoque). Put the chicken breasts in a zip-lock bag and add the marinade. Close the bag and move everything so the chicken will be covered. Let marinate in the fridge a few hours (I let it about ten hours).

Next put the chicken in an oven safe baking dish, along with all the amrinade you can get out of the bag, and bake at 200 C for about an hour or until the chicken is cooked through.

perhaps a bit of balsamic vinegar in the marinade would also go well...
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
March 3rd, 2014 at 12:27:18 PM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
I put the major post in the Spanish Language thread, but
if anyone knows a culinary use for cocido other than simply 'cooked' or 'stewed', please go to the Spanish Language thread to see a more narrow description of what I am looking for.
March 5th, 2014 at 7:13:07 AM permalink
Nareed
I seem to be stuck for new recipes. The thing is I've been cycling the recipes I do have and don't think up new things to try. Also I've been so tired from working, working out and electrolysis, that most weekends I just want to get the cooking out of the way quickly.

That's not a nice or healthy attitude. Next weekend I'll try a definitive edition of the Yogurt marinade chicken. Whole chicken was a bad idea.

I'm also stuck for new soup recipes. I love soup, but I've been pretty much satisifed making tomato, bell pepper, bean, cabbage, potato and pasta soup. I should look into oriental soup recipes, especially Chinese ones. There's something sold here in Chinese restaurants called Hot & Sour soup I really like.

I should also really upload something new to the blog...
March 5th, 2014 at 7:25:23 AM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
Quote: Nareed
I seem to be stuck for new recipes. .
How about something that uses pickled cabbage leaves or some recipes that make use of edible flower petals.
March 6th, 2014 at 6:37:28 PM permalink
Mosca
Threads: 22
Here's a yogurt chicken recipe we've made three times in the last month.

5oz cup of Greek yogurt
1/2 cup Grated Parmesan cheese
1t garlic powder
1t seasoned salt
1/2t black pepper
4 boneless skinless chicken breasts

Mix the first 5 ingredients well, slather over the chicken breasts and bake in a 375* oven until done.

If you pound the chicken breasts flat, double the rest of the recipe because you'll increase the surface area dramatically. Also works well with thighs.
March 7th, 2014 at 6:32:05 AM permalink
Nareed
Quote: Mosca
1/2 cup Grated Parmesan cheese

I'm sure you find it delicious, if you've made it several times, but this one ingredient made me stop so hard I swear my eyes felt whiplash ;)

Seriously, there's something about cheese lately I can't stand. It's odd, since I use cottage cheese in many recipes and even eat some from time to time as a snack. But any other kind I just want to stay away from. Melted cheese in particular almost seems repellent lately.

About five weeks ago I ran out of food for lunch, and thus went out to eat with my coworkers. We wound up having tacos, which led to a quip of mine in the Spanish Word thread about "Sin Queso" being incomprehensible to most Mexicans. I found the added cheese in my taco absolutely disgusting (and I apologize for using such words in a food discussion). The only reason I didn't ask for it to be made over was they'd likely screw it up over again. I'm not proud of what followed and I'd rather not even mention it.

Anyway, here's what I'm thinking, though I ahve to work out the proportions:

marinade:
Low fat, non-sugar Greek Yogurt
Fresh jocoque
1 small clove garlic minced
fresh ginger, minced
powdered cumin
Turmeric?

Let the chicken marinade overnight in the fridge, then grill it without any oil on a skillet. reserve some marinade to pour over the finished product and top with chives

I'll let you know how it goes.
March 7th, 2014 at 7:58:44 AM permalink
Mosca
You could probably substitute panko bread crumbs in the recipe, getting the texture without the cheese flavor. Maybe up the garlic, seasoned salt, and paper a little bit to make up for the lost bit of umami. If you don't want the salt, something like Mrs Dash (seasoned salt without the salt) would work.
March 7th, 2014 at 8:05:05 AM permalink
Nareed
You could probably substitute panko bread crumbs in the recipe, getting the texture without the cheese flavor.

I have a problem with the texture of melted cheese, too. I've always been very sensitive to textures.

Quote:
If you don't want the salt, something like Mrs Dash (seasoned salt without the salt) would work.

I never use salt in my cooking. I think I've tried it once or twice, but aside from using it in plain water when boiling pasta or tomatoes, I just don't see any need for it.
March 7th, 2014 at 1:52:14 PM permalink
Mosca
I have a problem with the texture of melted cheese, too. I've always been very sensitive to textures.

The Parm doesn't melt, it crusts. The panko would give it the same crusty outside/soft juicy inside, but without the cheese flavor.

I never use salt in my cooking. I think I've tried it once or twice, but aside from using it in plain water when boiling pasta or tomatoes, I just don't see any need for it.

I thought I'd remembered that. Use a savory spice blend instead.

Really, this is pretty simple and decent. It isn't going to be served at le Panisse, but it's easy and good.
March 7th, 2014 at 4:16:56 PM permalink
Nareed
The Parm doesn't melt, it crusts. The panko would give it the same crusty outside/soft juicy inside, but without the cheese flavor.

It's getting embarrassing by now seeing you're so kind and helpful and full of alternatives, but when you said "crusts".... well, I'd better not say what I reflexively felt.

Quote:
I thought I'd remembered that. Use a savory spice blend instead.

Oh, I do. I always use some spices.

Quote:
Really, this is pretty simple and decent.

Usually I sneer on simple. I take great pride in my tomato soup from nearly scratch (I do use chicken bullion cubes), which takes and ungodly amount of unpleasant, messy prep time. But this week I'm so tired I might just go for simple.