Netflix became the past year's best performer on the S&P 500.

Page 9 of 11« First<67891011>
Poll
No votes (0%)
No votes (0%)
No votes (0%)
No votes (0%)
No votes (0%)
5 votes (100%)
No votes (0%)

5 members have voted

September 20th, 2015 at 1:23:23 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Quote: Evenbob
Starz is Starz, it's an off the grid network.

As of August 2013, Starz maintain exclusive first-run film licensing agreements with Walt Disney Studios Motion Pictures.The first-run film output agreement with Walt Disney Pictures expires after December 2015, at which time the Netflix streaming service will assume pay television rights in January 2016.

So Starz and Netflix are in direct competition.
September 20th, 2015 at 12:25:25 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: Pacomartin

So Starz and Netflix are in direct competition.

Except Starz charges twice as much and
offers a fraction of what Netflix does.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
September 21st, 2015 at 1:46:18 PM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
Well Netflix does produce it's own series like Daredevil and Orange is the New Black. If Networks stopped selling shows, Netflix would no doubt increase their production of series. They would also be able to purchase English language series from BBC, Australia, Canada, and New Zealand.

If US networks stop selling shows to Netflix for the US market, they could still sell them for foreign markets.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
September 21st, 2015 at 2:08:43 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Quote: Nareed
If US networks stop selling shows to Netflix for the US market, they could still sell them for foreign markets.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/04/20/business/media/netflix-is-betting-its-future-on-exclusive-programming.html?_r=0

This NY times article has an interview with the CEO of Netflix. According to him Netflix will produce 320 hours of exclusive programming in 2015. As Netflix viewing is approaching a billion hours a week, the CEO has heard that some network executives are urging their companies to stop selling to netflix. He is unphased, as Netflix is now big enough to create more original programming to fill the gap.
September 21st, 2015 at 2:32:15 PM permalink
Nareed
This NY times article has an interview with the CEO of Netflix. According to him Netflix will produce 320 hours of exclusive programming in 2015.

In the two years I've been using Netflix, I've watched zero (0.0) hours of original Netflix programming. This may change shortly with Sense8, though I stand ready to be disappointed by it (you can't go home again, really).

Therefore I want to know how many network shows they'll keep.
September 21st, 2015 at 2:43:31 PM permalink
Evenbob
Netflix is now big enough to create more original programming to fill the gap.

Too bad 80% of what they produce is unwatchable
crap. I watch 3 shows by Nflix, Bloodline, H of C,
and Grace and Frankie. H of C had such an awful
3rd season I might be done with it.

Shows like Between stink so bad, along with Orange,
but they get renewed. I got thru half an ep of Between.
It gets a 5.6 on IMDB with reviews like Bad Acting,
Bad Actors, Bad Script Horrible Bad Story.

Marco Polo is beautiful to look at but bad writing and
really bad acting don't cut it.

Daredevil is boring, low budget, bad writing and terrible acting.

Sense 8, after two ep's I wanted to kill myself.

Wet Hot Summer, yikes. Pure drek.

If Netflix is going to depend on producing it's
own shows, they should learn what good shows
look like and quit giving us so much crap.

"If the television networks stop selling shows, he said, the company has a game plan. “We just do more originals,” he said.

That's all well and good, but most new network
shows are cancelled in the first season. But that's
OK because they had advertisers and were paid
for. Netflix has no such luxury. They put a bunch
of money into a turkey and they have to eat the
loss. Good shows like H of C and Bloodline are
are hard to come by. Lilyhammer had a good first
season, the 2nd was so-so, and the 3rd was so bad they
cancelled the series. Drek is easy to find and
produce, as Nflix is finding out.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
September 22nd, 2015 at 9:59:03 AM permalink
Nareed
I wonder if Netflix will be bold enough to experiment with TV formats.

They've already released full seasons at once, allowing for binge watching immediately.

They could mess with some formats, like 30-minute dramas, 60-minute comedies, but that's a little bit just being contrarian. I don't think they'll revive variety shows, either. But how about things like:

1) Limited series. Think between an episodic series and a mini-series, like Babylon 5. A show meant to run a certain length of time to tell one story arc in long form, like a novel for TV.

2) Long documentaries. Think like the famous Ken Burns' works for PBS.

3) lecture series. Like the Great Courses, maybe even re-streaming the catalog from TGC, though that would cost more than the current Netflix monthly fee.
September 24th, 2015 at 8:43:16 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Netflix strikes again: Fall TV ratings are off to a disappointing start

All told, cumulative viewership during “Premiere Week”, as it’s called, is down 8% compared to the same period a year-ago. More worrisome for TV networks is that viewership from the highly sought-after 18-24 demographic is down 20% year over year, with male viewership within that demographic falling by 24%.

Of course, there is no definitive reason why Netflix is to blame for continued decline in network television. Network television has been declining in popularity since the early 1970's when cable started offering choices other than retransmission of network broadcast.
September 24th, 2015 at 8:55:42 PM permalink
Evenbob
Dish Network is now offering a Netflix
feed from their satellite, with the first
year free to new subscribers.
September 25th, 2015 at 4:30:21 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Netflix strikes again: Fall TV ratings are off to a disappointing start

All told, cumulative viewership during “Premiere Week”, as it’s called, is down 8% compared to the same period a year-ago. More worrisome for TV networks is that viewership from the highly sought-after 18-24 demographic is down 20% year over year, with male viewership within that demographic falling by 24%.

Of course, there is no definitive reason why Netflix is to blame for continued decline in network television. Network television has been declining in popularity since the early 1970's when cable started offering choices other than retransmission of network broadcast.

I can't believe they even use the term "Premiere Week" seriously anymore.
The President is a fink.
Page 9 of 11« First<67891011>