Future of Cable TV

May 23rd, 2017 at 6:26:49 AM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
Quote: ams288
I'm going to stick with cable. I can't ever imagine ditching cable.

But you're supposed to give up cable because it's the trendy thing to do.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
May 23rd, 2017 at 6:28:19 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068

Some serious sports fans probably can't ditch traditional cable in a cost effective manner. My cable company charges an extra $50 base fee for television, $25 in surcharges, and $20 for equipment rental for three televisions (you can't use Roku) plus a few dollars in taxes.

Sling TV for a basic package costs $20 to $25 a month. The $20 package includes ESPN,DISNEY and FREEFORM (Disney Corp. channels) but only one person can watch live TV at a time. The $25 package includes more normal entertainment packages like FX, FXX, USA Network and Syfy.

Neither package includes such popular channels as:
DISCOVERY CHANNEL
HEADLINE NEWS
TLC
NICKELODEON
NICK-AT-NITE
MSNBC
E! ENTERTAINMENT TV
ANIMAL PLANET
CNBC
SPIKE TV
MTV
VH1
TV LAND
FOX NEWS CHANNEL*

Although many people feel that cable TV is overly expensive, fewer than a million people have switched to Sling in the two years that it has been available.
May 23rd, 2017 at 6:35:43 AM permalink
ams288
Threads: 29
Quote: Nareed
But you're supposed to give up cable because it's the trendy thing to do.

It's the cheap thing to do.

I have the biggest package available with my cable company. I get all the premium movie channels. My cable + internet bill is $182 a month. I consider it a utility just like electricity & gas.
“A straight man will not go for kids.” - AZDuffman
May 23rd, 2017 at 6:37:05 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135

Way better ways to spend the $1,000 per year I save without it. I find I do more interesting things with my time as well.
The President is a fink.
May 23rd, 2017 at 6:42:19 AM permalink
Nareed
It's the cheap thing to do.

It depends on what you like to watch and where you are.

Quote:
I have the biggest package available with my cable company. I get all the premium movie channels. My cable + internet bill is $182 a month. I consider it a utility just like electricity & gas.

I've never had any premium package or any of the associated channels. In the old days, I'd rather browse the video store and rent something. These days you'd think Netflix would do, but the offerings are rather limited to my taste.
May 23rd, 2017 at 5:36:49 PM permalink
Pacomartin
I have the biggest package available with my cable company. I get all the premium movie channels. My cable + internet bill is $182 a month.

What speed is your internet for that price?

Many people consider cable to be frugal purchase in the big picture. You pay $2200 for a year of cable which gives you a wide selection of entertainment for 365 days per year. Presumably you would pay at least $1000 for internet alone.

My brother shelled out over $2000 for season tickets for himself and his wife to go see minor league hockey (70 games per year). In addition there is the cost of beer, snacks and parking. After a while the best players get bumped up to the majors, and the minor league games are less interesting. His wife started to want to skip the live games to watch major league hockey on TV After a while, cable TV doesn't seem so expensive.

Quote: Nareed
These days you'd think Netflix would do, but the offerings are rather limited to my taste.

After a while, Netflix streaming options seem limiting. While it is difficult to say it's not a good deal for $10 a month, HBO NOW is much more vivid for $15 a month. I'm on a free month, and I really liked "Big Little Lies" and Westworld (based on the 1973 movie) and the political satire VEEP.

May 23rd, 2017 at 6:00:53 PM permalink
Nareed
Quote: Pacomartin
After a while, Netflix streaming options seem limiting.

My while lasted three months...

Still, I've found a couple of gems there. Like the second season of Smash! (gone now), Rick and Morty (awaiting the third season), and soon the new trek series (so they claimed).

But even full all Trek series now isn't enough for me to retake the subscription. I will if/when either the new Trek series premieres (and there are a few eps), or when the third season of Rick and Morty is on (it's still not on Adult Swim, though I caught the premiere ep online as an April Fool's joke).

Quote:
Westworld

I thought the remake of Westoworld was the Simpsons ep where they visit Itchy & Scratchy Land ;)
May 24th, 2017 at 12:49:08 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
I was bored after 30 sec of this, I can't imagine
seeing the whole thing. Over complicated
and ridiculous.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
May 24th, 2017 at 3:12:19 PM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Quote: Evenbob
I was bored after 30 sec of this, I can't imagine
seeing the whole thing. Over complicated
and ridiculous.

Over complicated?
ROTFL
Its not complicated. A bit confusing sometimes with who is robot and who isn't but thats what makes the series fun.
I enjoyed Westworld. Watched the whole series.
Very good entertainment.
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
May 25th, 2017 at 6:53:51 AM permalink
Pacomartin

I think Westworld adds a lot to the android genre. There is an unusual amount of nudity, even for an HBO series. Thandie Newton, one of my favorite afro-british actresses said she was completely nude 40% of the time on set. She was always a beauty, but it takes a lot of confidence to wait until you have three children to do these parts.

Over twenty years ago in Interview with a Vampire and that particularly harrowing character in Crash.