What Movies Have You Seen Lately?

January 2nd, 2018 at 3:07:05 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Quote: Nareed
If coffee wasn't so blasted expensive at the theater, I'd have latte to go with the movie. But 25% over Starbucks' price is ridiculous.

Although the prices are nothing to cheer about, I was glad to see theaters offer coffee. I'd rather have that than any other drink they offer.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
January 2nd, 2018 at 3:10:15 PM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
Quote: rxwine
Although the prices are nothing to cheer about, I was glad to see theaters offer coffee. I'd rather have that than any other drink they offer.

It didn't help that the one item I ordered was a mocha that tasted like unflavored, sweetened warm milk.

I could splurge on a waaaay overpriced Starbucks travel mug and pull a Kramer :)
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
January 2nd, 2018 at 5:42:57 PM permalink
ams288
Threads: 29
Quote: Evenbob
Why in gods name would I go to
a place and sit for 2 hours with
coughing and wheezing disease
ridden A-holes when I didn't have
to.

To see Wonder Woman? *wink wink*
“A straight man will not go for kids.” - AZDuffman
January 3rd, 2018 at 8:02:57 AM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
A 25 percent surcharge on a Starbucks product is criminal.
Of course a 25 percent discount on the product still results in a price that is criminal.

Paying high prices at a bookstore café is a way of supporting a struggling establishment that is an honorable profession.
Paying high prices at a movie theater just supports an archaic and undesirable establishment.

Bowling alleys used to have groups, now they have twosomes and foursomes and host groups only at night when they cover the lanes and become nightclubs.
Movie theaters will soon follow suit and become 'party pits for rent' type places. They will make their money less on the movie and more on the atmosphere.
January 3rd, 2018 at 10:43:28 AM permalink
Monet
Threads: 0
Quote: Fleastiff
A 25 percent surcharge on a Starbucks product is criminal.
Of course a 25 percent discount on the product still results in a price that is criminal.

Paying high prices at a bookstore café is a way of supporting a struggling establishment that is an honorable profession.
Paying high prices at a movie theater just supports an archaic and undesirable establishment.

Bowling alleys used to have groups, now they have twosomes and foursomes and host groups only at night when they cover the lanes and become nightclubs.
Movie theaters will soon follow suit and become 'party pits for rent' type places. They will make their money less on the movie and more on the atmosphere.

I guess I have somewhat of an interesting story about going to the Movies. One night not too long ago I wanted to go out and see Blade Runner 2049 for the second time because I enjoyed the soundtrack and visuals of the movie and wanted to experience it again. I wanted to do that with Dunkirk because IMO Dunkirk has to be enjoyed in the theater... that movie was more about experience compared to watching a movie. My uncle was like it was ok when we left and I was like your crazy... wait he really is crazy and gets paid monthly for it! Anyways, I guess I enjoy Dunkirk because I love WW2 fighter planes and all that.

Now back to the story! So I couldn't get to the Palms which is where I watched Blade Runner 2049 the first time because I have about 60 movie tickets or so since they give them away for free every Tuesday when you earn 300 points. So I found a showing at a Theater Downtown at 814 S 3rd St. Las Vegas, NV 89101. So I decided to catch the Bus and go over there. I didn't want to drive because I ate a very large Special Cookie that would kick in right about the time I would get to the theater. So I get down there and they have some aristocrat sitting downstairs being all gentleman like and I think I paid 18 dollars for the Movie... ouch! Next I get in there and they have some crazy full menu and the server is asking me if I want anything. I tell her let me look this menu over. So of course the drug starts to kick in and I am ordering everything on the menu. I end up spending 130 dollars for the movie and food and drinks and tip. I never ate so much food at a Movie Theater lol!

I do not see how that place can survive!? They charge way too much! The Luxury seating is by far worse compared to any other luxury theater. How can they make money when the Palms is just giving Free Tickets away every week and the Palms has by far a more nicer luxury theater with seating, sound and what not? The only thing they don't have is a server and an overpriced menu! I give them credit though because they APed or Hustled the $*%^ out of me!
January 3rd, 2018 at 10:54:47 AM permalink
JimRockford
Threads: 2
Quote: Evenbob
Why in gods name would I go to
a place and sit for 2 hours with
coughing and wheezing disease
ridden A-holes when I didn't have
to.

Good point. Around ten years ago an Austin theater opened called Alamo Drafthouse that offered craft beer, restaurant quality burgers, pizza and such served to your seat in a theater designed for unobtrusive waiter service. I don't know if they were the first to do that, but they've been growing ever since with theaters across Texas and now in several other states. A few copycats have popped up and now I hear the big chains are beginning to offer adult beverages and dine-in service. I believe the industry is discovering that overpriced popcorn, a dark room and a padded seat may not be enough to get people out of their homes, at least not for much longer.
The mind hungers for that on which it feeds.
January 3rd, 2018 at 11:16:06 AM permalink
ams288
Threads: 29
Quote: JimRockford
Good point. Around ten years ago an Austin theater opened called Alamo Drafthouse that offered craft beer, restaurant quality burgers, pizza and such served to your seat in theaters designed for unobtrusive waiter service. I don't know if they were the first to do that, but they've been growing ever since with theaters across Texas and now in several other states. A few copycats have popped up and now I hear the big chains are beginning to offer adult beverages and dine-in service. I believe the industry is discovering that they need to offer more than overpriced popcorn, a dark room and a padded seat.

Around here they recently just renovated the huge 20-theater megaplex so all the screens have these big leather reclining seats. No price increase. So now all the theaters seat less than half of what they used to because these seats are so big, and yet they still charge the same amount for each seat.

I'm wondering how much less they made over Christmas compared to two years ago. The theater that sat 500 people for each showing of Star Wars in 2015 now seated about 250 for each showing this year.
“A straight man will not go for kids.” - AZDuffman
January 5th, 2018 at 4:32:47 AM permalink
odiousgambit
Threads: 154
Just watched "Silence" [2016], a movie about the 17th century virtual eradication of Christianity in Japan. It focuses on the ordeal that the last Christians and priests underwent, borrowing from actual accounts and based on the book by Shūsaku Endō.

The title references the mystery for believers as to why God does not accommodate as a matter of course the desire for an audible response to prayer, especially in times of duress. The movie references the Cry from the Cross - that Jesus himself experienced silence from God at such a time. However, I would not say that the movie is anti-Christian in any way, but rather sympathetic for the most part. It would take a hard heart to sympathize with the persecution, which was evidently quite extreme. If anything is brought out that might be spoken against, it is the clear question as to why the priests would not give permission to apostatize under such conditions. The movie at least has them telling their followers that they have to suffer torture and death just like all those saints of record did before they could ever renounce their belief, just not allowed. Or wind up in Hell I guess; personally it did not bother me but I am not Roman Catholic.

Very well done indeed. Critics liked the movie generally, getting a lot of accolades, with detractors indicating it is too long and not quite right for attracting a large audience, probably boring for most viewers.
I'm Still Standing, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah [it's an old guy chant for me]
January 5th, 2018 at 2:32:48 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: odiousgambit
at least has them telling their followers that they have to suffer torture and death just like all those saints of record did before they could ever renounce their belief, just not allowed.

Of course, the ego among these types
of people is of giant proportions. The
mind boggles at their pretentiousness.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
January 5th, 2018 at 5:08:58 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: Pacomartin
Jurassic World hit $626m on day 47 and is still clears a million dollars a day on a weekday.
e

Finally saw Jurassic World. What a yawner,
the story was a direct rip off of the first
Jurassic, only not as good. A super safe
island, 2 kids that are relatives of the
manager of the park, a Rex gets loose
and the kids run for the whole movie.
There's even a plot on the inside to steal
the clones and smuggle them off the
island, just like the first movie.

The FX were actually scarier and better in
the first movie than
this one. And it took FOREVER to get to
the meat of the story, kids running, dino
eating everybody. BO-ring...
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.